The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Nakanokalronin

Disagree with me if you think I'm wrong, but a 9mm LCR would of flown off the shelves.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:16 AM   #27
L_Killkenny

6 shot .22m LCR vs. 5 shot .38sp lcr? Someone is on crack. Heck, even if was an 8 shot they'd still be on crack.

.22m in any short gun = snore.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:16 PM   #28
Skippymjp

I ended up putting my S&W 60 to pasture because of arthritis issues (both wrists and now an elbow - gettin' old sux). Since then, I've been carrying an LCR .22LR. But, as soon as this thing actually hits the streets, the .22LR will fall to second place behind a .22WMR LCR full of Hornady Critical Defense hollow points.

I know it's still not ideal, but I'm at the age where I have to take my warm and fuzzies however I can get them. I just couldn't take the 60 and it's hopping around like a cat on a cactus anymore

Last edited by Skippymjp; January 8, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:45 PM   #29
cltinseattle

It is true that some people cannot handle a larger handgun. I have a female friend with arthritis and I have had her try just about every handgun round out there. She currently is using a S&W 350C, 7 rounds of .22 magnum but the trigger pull goes way beyond the maximum of my 10 pound trigger pull gauge. I think Jeff listed the trigger pull at 8+ pounds on the little LCR. It certainly has sparked my interest and I will most likely be in line to order one from my local dealer. Wait . . . why am I wasting time typing here . . . I'm off to see my local dealer now.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:21 PM   #30
DTrain

I agree Nakanokalronin... I would have ordered one as fast as I could.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:04 AM   #31
johnwilliamson062

9mm LCR likely would have found a place in my safe. What a bug.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:47 AM   #32
Yooper1

One poster suggested that only little old ladies can't handle the recoil of a 38 spl, so who would want a 22 mag? I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these for my wife. She is 40 yrs old, 5'10", works out religiously, and is a very strong woman. But she hates shooting my 38 spl LCR. She just won't shoot it. So I got her a a Beretta Bobcat 22 lr. She loves to shoot that, but it jams way too frequently to be a reliable SD carry gun. As a SD cartridge, the 22 mag is unquestionably more powerful than the 22 lr, even in a short barrel. Since something bigger is not really an option right now, the LCR in 22 mag is a very attractive option. The wife will shoot it and enjoy it; why get her a gun that she won't shoot or carry? And the nice thing about revolvers is that they almost never malfunction, even with rimfire ammunition. If it's not for you, fine. But that doesn't mean it's not for anyone. I'll bet that sales of the LCR 22 mag will prove me correct.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:01 AM   #33
Leejack

This is why I posted this poll: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512687

I think that the 22LR would make an excellent snubby trainer. LR is cheap to shoot and can help hone the skills for the .38/.357 snub shooters.

The maggie on the other hand would probably make a more viable nightstand gun, it is however not very cheap to shoot in comparison. They just don't give WMRF away!

I must say, I'm a bit smitten by the LCR, especially after hearing so many people report that the trigger is so nice on the .38.

I want to buy two of them if I can swing it.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:46 PM   #34
RamItOne

Seems like a complete waste of a pocket for me.

I can see .22lr for a cheapo plinker, but for any SD or EDC there's a ton of better options with very close similarities in size and weight than this 22 mag.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 21, 2013, 03:50 PM   #35
Obambulate

If you can shoot the LCR-22M more accurately than the LCR-38, why wouldn't you want the 22M? 6 shots vs. 5, and placed more accurately.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:11 PM   #36
RamItOne

It's a snub bug, pull bang run, if you're somehow at 10 feet accurate enough to stop someone with a .22mag but put a .357 LCR in your hands and boom now you're hitting his shoulder instead I really don't have a reply for that.

Old January 21, 2013, 06:45 PM   #37
NWPilgrim

A couple of questions:

1) Can .22LR be shot in a .22WRM revolver or different dimensions?

2) What is the muzzle blast of the .22 mag in a short barrel compared to the .22LR? I have shot a NNA mini-revolver in .22mag and it as very loud. Does a 2" l attenuate that at all? How about out of a 3" bbl?

I am asking because my wife is finally interested in learning to shoot and work up to carrying. Right now she is not interested in even a .38 though I will work up some mild loads to try again just in case. So it looks like we need to start at the rimfire level for now.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 21, 2013, 07:30 PM   #38
RamItOne

^^^^

Has she tried any cowboy loads in 38spl? They're really mild.

To my knowledge .22lr can't be used.

Old January 21, 2013, 09:49 PM   #39
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPilgrim
A couple of questions:

1) Can .22LR be shot in a .22WRM revolver or different dimensions?
NO

Quote:
2) What is the muzzle blast of the .22 mag in a short barrel compared to the .22LR? I have shot a NNA mini-revolver in .22mag and it as very loud. Does a 2" attenuate that at all? How about out of a 3" bbl?
Muzzle blast from a 2" or 3" barrel is intense

Old January 22, 2013, 09:34 PM   #40
NWPilgrim

Thanks for the feedback, the .22WMR looks to be out of the running for my wife for now at least. I'm going to work up some .38 158 gr LSWC loaded with Bullseye to 700-750 fps. I have not played with minimal loads before but apparently heavy bullets with light charges of fast powder is the way to go for reduced recoil and last.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old January 25, 2013, 12:29 AM   #41
Colorado Redneck

Velocity test results of 22 mag out of a Black Widow

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_BlackWidow.htm

This is a fair comparison of barrel length to the LCR. I am having a problem with the idea of packing an SP101 around during a daily walk, or a hike on a local trail. The Black Widow has crossed my mind several times, after reading other posters here in TFL write that they can slip a Black Widow in a pocket and be off, with no fiddling aroud with a holster or rig. Doesn't print, is easy to access. I expect the LCR would be very easy as well, in 22 mag or 38 or 357.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #42
dogspit

9MM LCR

Now I must agree a 9mm LCR....I'd like DAT me.

I would have jumped on that one...