The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 16, 2014, 09:56 AM   #1
4 Paws

Ruger LCR

Thinking of retiring a S&W Model 36 and going with a lightweight DAO revolver. I looked at a 642 and then stumbled across a Ruger LCR. Everything I have read indicate the LCR has one of the nicest trigger pulls out there. Can anyone offer their opinion after shooting the LCR as to how it compares to the S&W trigger.
Old March 16, 2014, 10:42 AM   #2
qqq1

I can't give you a direct comparison on the trigger but I do have a LCR. My mom had a S&W similar to the LCR and neither of us could hardly hit where we aimed with it. It just seemed way off and uncomfortable to use. I later bought an LCR and loved it. I had my mom try it and she immediately traded in her S&W for a LCR. It's a great pocket gun, try one out if you can.
Old March 16, 2014, 10:54 AM   #3
Mastrogiacomo

I never understand how people can call a J frame 36 "heavy." To me it's the perfect choice for recoil and carry -anything lighter just means more recoil and shooting discomfort, assuming you practice with it daily. But if I did go for the LCR, I'd get a .357 just for the added weight and shoot .38s only.

Laura

Last edited by Mastrogiacomo; March 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old March 16, 2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

It's been too long ago that I had a 36 to give a comparison. But I will say I am very happy with my LCR. Very smooth trigger, an accurate. Mine is the 38+P model, and recoil with 158gr. LSWHP+P "FBI" loads is manageable, but quite noticeable as well.
Great pocket revolver, no regrets.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; March 16, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old March 16, 2014, 11:44 AM   #5
bedbugbilly

4 Paws . . . LOL . . . I'm just the opposite! I gave up my LCR a while back in favor of a Model 36 for my CCW.

I had a LCR 357 - got it so I had the option of shooting 357s but I am pretty much a 38 spl person. Nothing wrong with a LCR. It is light, dependable and it shot well. The DAO trigger took a little time for me to adjust to but once "learned" - it was fine - smooth. You just have to "learn" the trigger and make sure that you release all the way before the next shot.

I carry OTB and the LCR was fine for that - I just much prefer a steel revolver and preferred the 36 - just individual preference. I own a number of Rugers - all great handguns - but i just couldn't get over the looks of the LCR either - again, a personal thing. As far as shooting . . . I tried 357 in it and it jarred the heck out of me - but I'm 61 and not used to shooting mags. At SD ranges, it was accurate and no problems in tighter groups in central mass. I'm sure that the stock grip on the LCR does a lot to absorb recoil - something that I need to switch out on my 36 as I still have the factory grips on that. I had speed loaders for the LCR and they worked fine as well.

If you ever carry in the pocket - then the design of the LCR works well too. I never carry that way so the 36 doesn't present a problem for me.

See if you can't rent one or find somebody that has one that you can shoot. That's the best way to see if you like it or not. When I first looked for a snub (and the LCR was my first snub) I also checked out the S & W Bodyguard - again, a decent little revolver but for my hands, the LCR felt better.

I have a number of vintage Smiths that I'm used to shooting and that's one reason I switched to carrying the 36 - just more comfortable with it and the "heft" of it - i.e. I like steel. Good luck and let us know what you end up with - lots of good choices out there!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 16, 2014, 11:56 AM   #6
Axelwik

I have both an LCR and a 642.

The LCR has a lighter trigger pull, but for some reason I shoot the S&W better.

I think it's because with the Smith I can tell when it's close to breaking. It could be that I just need to practice more with the Ruger.

Both are fine weapons and equal in a lot or respects, but I prefer the classic looks of the Smith.
Old March 16, 2014, 01:12 PM   #7
weblance

I have a KLCR and a 638. The 638 trigger has the standard "stacking" where the farther you pull the trigger back, more resistance is felt. It "stacks up", until the point it breaks.

The LCR trigger, when you pull it, it stacks until you get about half way through the pull, and then the resistance levels off and stays constant until it breaks. Its an odd feeling, until you get used to it. It caused me to shoot low initially and I wondered if there was an issue with the revolver. Im used to it now, and the revolver shoots to point of aim perfectly.
Old March 16, 2014, 02:14 PM   #8
guruatbol

I bought my wife an LCR for Christmas and we have run a couple boxes of ammo through it. My wife shot it, daughter, SIL, and I shot it.

For my wife with a very small hand, it is great. My hand is too big, but I like the little thing. My daughter liked it but wants a semi auto.

I have nothing but good things to say!

Mel
Old March 16, 2014, 07:47 PM   #9
PointOneSeven

I regretted selling my 642, so I went looking for a replacement. An LCR (.357) followed me home last time I went shopping. Met all of my expectations and I am very impressed!

I wish I had both to side-by-side them. But looking back, I'd say the Ruger trigger pull is a bit lighter and a tad longer. And I agree with the stacking/staging feel on the 638/642/442. I liked that feel on the S&W, and I like the smoother feel on the Ruger. I wouldn't want them identical personally.
Old March 17, 2014, 08:40 PM   #10
iraiam

I like mine

I really like my LCR, My only issue is if it's just a little on the dark side, the sights on it are difficult to see. I opted for the LCR with the Crimson Trace grips on it.

With full tilt .357 SD ammo the recoil is nothing to scoff at, but it's nothing a little practice wont overcome.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 17, 2014, 09:25 PM   #11
ClydeFrog

Ruger LCR .38spl +P ....

My good friend purchased a new Ruger LCR .38spl +P with a Lasermax Centerfire red laser in 2013. He likes it & we both shot about 350rds thru it with no problems. He uses Corbon DPX .38spl for home protection.
I'd buy a new Ruger .357magnum LCR with no regrets or concerns.
They are light, easy to clean-service & you can add a lasergrip/laser or after market night sights like the top rated XS Big-Dot.

Clyde
PS for spare rounds, look at the bright orange or black 5rd .38/.357 Quik Strips.
They are handy & you can stow 2 strips in a Altoids candy mint tin.
www.tuffproducts.com
Old March 20, 2014, 07:16 AM   #12
4 Paws

Wanted to relay some follow up info relative to my original post. I was able to secure a LCR in 38. While the trigger pull is slightly heavier than I anticipated, the double action only is very smooth and breaks cleanly. Standard wadcutters produced minimal recoil and accuracy was far better than what I've obtained with a J frame.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:06 AM   #13
Homerboy

Plastic and revolver just don't belong in the same sentence. Ruger makes good guns and I am sure the LCR is a good gun, but I cannot get over it's heinous looks. I think a lot of people bought them because it was Walter White's gun on Breaking Bad, like they bought the Model 29 from Dirty harry and the Beretta 92 from Lethal Weapon and Die hard. As for comfortable pocket carry, the S&W 642 is 15 ounces. What more comfortable do you need? You can even get a 638 with the shrouded hammer to allow you to cock it, and there is a titanium version that is only 12 ounces.

How the LCR is a success still eludes me. It occupies a niche already filled with J frame revolvers. And I feel the same way about the S&W Bodyguard .38. Who would buy that thing?
Old March 22, 2014, 06:29 PM   #14
alaskabushman

I have been carrying and shooting my LCR since 2009, and I really like it. No big points for it on looks, but the trigger is great and its surprisingly accurate for a snubbie. I have the original .38 model but I would spring for the .357 version and just carry it with +p .38s and at least you would have the magnum option in a pinch. I carry mine in a blackhawk pocket holster, but I'm a big guy with big pockets ( I buy my pants based on if they have pockets big enough for my gun). It's really a tad big for pocket carry thickness wise (cylinder mostly) but its certainly light enough to carry pretty much wherever you want.
Old March 22, 2014, 10:04 PM   #15
superspirit

Have the LCR 357, been my EDC for over a year. love it, shoot nothing but 357's with it. cant say enough good about it. never had a J frame so honestly cant make a comparison. but personally never have been a S&W fan always preferred a Ruger. had a S&W 586 after having a GP100 and sold it and went back to Ruger without ever lookin back.
Old March 23, 2014, 12:41 AM   #16
twr

I carried the LCR in .357 for quite a while and eventually traded for a Glock 33. Although I don't regret the trade I do miss the little revolver and I honestly wish every gun had the LCR's trigger. In fact, if ruger ever retooled there tank turret, err, GP100 with he LCR's trigger, I believe it would be the single best revolver in existence.
Old March 23, 2014, 05:26 AM   #17
Model12Win

Quote:
I have both an LCR and a 642.

The LCR has a lighter trigger pull, but for some reason I shoot the S&W better.

I think it's because with the Smith I can tell when it's close to breaking. It could be that I just need to practice more with the Ruger.

Both are fine weapons and equal in a lot or respects, but I prefer the classic looks of the Smith.
I know what you mean about the Smith's trigger. I have a new M642-2, and the trigger was stiff and gritty out of the box. With time it really smother out and I can tell almost exactly when the shot will break, and this little gun is amazingly accurate for it's size. I can put all round fired in a range session into a 2" group at ten yards. My Ruger GP100 with a 6" barrel doesn't really do much better if at all.
Old March 23, 2014, 08:18 AM   #18
bbqbob51

The day I purchased my LCR I also tried a J frame S&W Snubbie. They were both about the same price but what sold me on the Ruger LCR was the trigger pull. It was obviously a much smoother trigger. When I bought it I was also pleasantly surprised that it came with a free Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and not one but 2 pistol rugs!
Old March 23, 2014, 11:40 AM   #19
22-rimfire

I have a LCR in 22LR. I read that Ruger is going to make an LCR with an exposed hammer. I would prefer that personally. I like the revolver a lot and it is reasonably easy to hit generally in the area of what you are aiming at.

I carry a S&W 442 for personal defense.

As far as the M36 goes, it would be a matter of how you want to carry the gun. In the pocket, I would go LCR or 442/642. On the belt, I would keep the M36. I bought a Colt Detective Special for carry as well and I don't mind the extra weight in a belt holster of some kind.

Not a fan of inside the waistband holsters in general as I refuse to buy larger sized pants just to accomadate a handgun semi-comfortably. The reason is simple.... everything else gets bigger too, not just the waist size.
Old March 23, 2014, 04:28 PM   #20
4 Paws

Quote:
I have a LCR in 22LR. I read that Ruger is going to make an LCR with an exposed hammer. I would prefer that personally. I like the revolver a lot and it is reasonably easy to hit generally in the area of what you are aiming at.
Ruger introduced the exposed hammer and it's out now, it's called the Ruger LCRx. Regarding your other mention of pocket carry, that's also my preferred method of carry. As such, I found the LCR to be the perfect compliment for it.
Old March 23, 2014, 06:43 PM   #21
22-rimfire

The grips on the LCR make it a bit less comfortable in the pocket. But on the other hand, it is easier to draw the LCR from the pocket. I sometimes carry my LCR 22 even though 22LR is not the best choice. Really doesn't bother me to not have the most powerful gun in my pocket.
Old March 25, 2014, 09:06 AM   #22
savagecornmuffin

Got a new holster that I really like.

Just a mention since I really dig my LCR as well. I prefer pocket carry because its easier than IWB carry and I haven't found an OWB holster that I really like. However, I just purchased an OWB kydex holster from Zero Concealment and I love it. Its really flat and doesn't print. Also, its super light.

Worth a look if you like kydex.
Old March 25, 2014, 11:08 AM   #23
EdInk

I have a couple of j-frames but would buy the LCR instead if able to do it over again.
Old March 26, 2014, 05:57 PM   #24
GaryED50

Want to say thanks also I'm thinking of a LCR and this thread was very helpful

thank you

Gary
Old March 26, 2014, 06:31 PM   #25
22-rimfire

Looked at a LCRx yesterday with the exposed hammer. It's more like a half sized hammer. Now, I'm thinking about getting one of these.... darn you Ruger for producing things that I want....