The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 4, 2008, 08:11 PM   #1
kamikaze1a

Problem with Lee Pro 100 shell feeder & 40S&W

I've had great success with the Lee Pro 1000 in 9mm and 45acp and the shell feeder works well too. Recently converted the 9mm to 40S&W and can not get the shell feeder to work like it did with 9mm or 45. Lee's site says to use the Lg feeder and small slider. I'm finding that the slider knocks the shell over because the slider's height is shorter than the shell and the feed hole is too large for the shell diameter and the small feeder assembly's feed hole is too small for the 40 shell. Anything I should try?
Old October 4, 2008, 09:29 PM   #2
totalloser

I have noticed that the main issue with shells tipping has to do with smoothness of operation of the slider. .223 is MUCH worse, but with the slider lubed, the plastic thingy on the square rod adjusted correctly it will tip .223's unless there is a shell ahead of it.

But with .40, if it is adjusted right, and you are using a pretty smooth handle pull, it shouldn't be a problem. I would play with the tension screw on the plastic thingy and put a little lube on the back of the strip the slider rides on. I know they say to put it on the bottom, but this works well for me. I am using a Loadmaster, so it might be slightly different, but should be fairly similar.

If you absolutely can't get it to cooperate, a little sizing lube on the strip where the shell comes down will make the shell stick to it, and will tip less readily. Dunno if I trust this method for defense rounds, but never had a problem yet. (Oil contamination concern)
Old October 6, 2008, 02:16 PM   #3
kamikaze1a

Thanks for the advice! Will try lubing the slider and readjust... The thing is, it works so well with the 45 loader and so did the one setup for 9 until I converted it to 40. Too bad Lee doesn't have a different slider for each calibers...