The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 16, 2000, 12:13 AM   #1
HKMP5SD6

Hey, does anyone know how quiet an MP5SD truly is? I've heard a lot of exaggeration about this weapon, but does anyone know the truth, and has anyone fired this exceedingly expensive yet awesome weapon?

------------------
"You can run, but you'll just die tired"
Old February 16, 2000, 12:21 AM   #2
nyeti

I have spent a lot of time on this weapon. I don't remeber the actual decibal rating, but they are very quiet. They kind of sound like a sewing machine in full auto. They are very accurate and reliable. They suck to clean, and they get filthy quick. The biggest problem is that they take the velocity of std. 9mm dowwn to about that of a .380. It is a specialized tool,and aren't very good as a general purpose SMG.
Old February 16, 2000, 12:37 AM   #3
danbrew

They are indeed very quiet -- it sounds like a toy. The bbl is ported on this unit so that you can even use supersonic ammo in the gun. The ported bbl slows down the ammo to subsonic velocity and does this by bleeding off a ton of gas -- which makes the thing a pain in the butt to clean as nyeti indicated.

A much better solution, imho, is an MP5 with a muzzle mounted can -- like the Gemtech Raptor. A bit louder because of no ported bbl and you need to be careful about ammo selection if you want to stay subsonic, but you don't give up the veolcity that you do with the SD gun.

The cool factor is there and they are a ton of fun to shoot.

:->
Old February 16, 2000, 09:15 AM   #4
HKMP5SD6

Jesus man, how much money do you guys have?

------------------
"You can run, but you'll just die tired"
Old February 16, 2000, 02:20 PM   #5
Silicon

I'm back from the hospital, back from the jungle... god, i love snow, compared to that horrible, damn swamp for a jungle they have in Colombia...

Anyway, the question here is about the Mp5 SD... I used one in Croatia, during my time there, and i can honestly say that i love the gun. The truth is, that when you carry it around in the field for a while, the suppressor _will_ take some damage, and thereby lose a lot of its capacity. It will still, however, allow you to use it very efficienlty in night-time operations.

With proper night-sights, say a good optical tritium-sight, you'll scare the **** out of your opposing forces.

Now, it's time for some proper R&R, there's a pub around the corner..
Old February 17, 2000, 09:07 AM   #6
Nukem

They are indeed quiet. One of the guys where I shoot has one. The supressor must be a high maint. item like silicon says since he has an almost solid aluminum replacement that he can put on the gun when he has to send it out to be serviced. You can't shoot it without *something* there because of the porting.