The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
landlord

starting to reload

I was wondering if you really need to use a gas check and lube when reloading? I have done some reloading years ago but it was a friends setup and I don't remember any lube or gas check. We reloaded 44 mag, I want to cast my own 40s, 06, 270, 30 carbine and 45lc. Will I need to size, lube, or gas check them?
Old May 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
TATER

Yes to Sizing and lubing, Makes for a Big Mess if you don't. Gas checks are not "needed" but, I would highly recommend them for rifle if you are going push them very fast…
That’s the quick answer. HTH
Old May 14, 2013, 10:58 AM   #3
mikld

For lead bullets lube is a necessity. Without it poor accuracy and barrel leading result. Gas checks seem to be a personal preference. I have molds for both gas checked bullets and plain based bullets. I have shot plain based bullets to magnum velocities with good results and no leading. I have a couple favorites, that happen to be gas checked that I shoot in my revolvers and .44 Magnum carbine. So, to answer your question; lube, yes. Gas checks, mebbe
Old May 14, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
landlord

How do you lube bullets then? Do you hand pack them like bearings or do just put a little on your finger and smear it on?
Old May 14, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5
landlord

About how much is a sizer?
Old May 14, 2013, 01:33 PM   #6
kostner

Have used the Lee tumble lube for years with very good results. Lee also make an affordable sizer that will assist in seating gas checks. I don't use GC on anything with less than 1100 fps. Hope this helps.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:20 PM   #7
David Bachelder

Here is a LEE sizing kit. This kit would size for 9mm lead bullets (.356).

Lee Sizing Kit

As far as lube goes, I tried pan lubing .... not for me. I switched to LEE Alox tumble lube. Works great .... a little smoky but its easy and works well.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
mikld

To answer a bunch of basic questions, I'd suggest Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook (check library if you don't wanna buy one). There are several ways to lube a bullet. Most popular is with a "lubersizer"; a press-like tool that sizes the lead bullet and applies lube in the same operation. Another very popular lube method is "tumble lube" where a liquid is applied by swishing/tumbling a bit of lube in a margarine/cool whip tub, to evenly coating the bullet, mostly with a product called "alox". Pan lubing is another method, and some even "finger lube".
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_8533wtec4t_b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvpMO7QSvs

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/BS2003.pdf