The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 31, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1
joehorner

Mossberg Question

I recently installed a Knox Spec Ops stock on my 500A. It was a bear to screw on with the ball end allen wrench supplied. I think the dried loctite on the bolt made it very hard. I am sure it was not crossthreaded. I also have a new synthetic forend ordered from Mossberg. The stock will not allow the trigger assembly to be removed? In order to install the new forend I would prefer to disasemble the action and remove the tube because the tube nut is very fine thread which is hard to start without crossthreading the tube or nut. My question has anybody run in to this problem and tried to remove and reinstall the Spec Ops stock? ANY SUGGESTIONS

Joe
Old March 31, 2009, 10:13 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The rear stock bolts are almost too long and a washer added usually helps out with trigger group bind. Just back the bolt out a half turn and the T-group should come right out.
The forestocks are easily changed IMHO and with a little caution the spanner nut starts fine.
I do feel it is easiest to field strip the gun and get the forestock and action bars off to install new fore stock.
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
zippy13

It depends which type of Loctite you used. Did you apply Loctite brand Super Glue or a Loctite Threadlocker. Assuming it was a Threadlocker (the color is important) here's what the Locktite folks have to say:
Blue: Can be removed with hand tools
Red: Apply heat to remove
Green: Apply heat to remove
Good luck,
Pete
Old March 31, 2009, 10:29 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am guessing he means the "nylock" blue dot applied on the thread at factory...
Joe, Let us know for further assistance.
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 10:31 AM   #5
joehorner

Loctite

The loctite was blue on the threads when it was unpacked.That means the glue was dry when I installed the stock.I believe that is why the bolt was so hard to install.I don't think it is a good practice to put on any loctite and then let it dry prior to installation?

Joe
Old March 31, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
zippy13

Oops...
Brent's right, it was probably factory installed and not Loctite brand. From the OP, I thought Joe had used his own Loctite when installing the stock, not a pre-treated bolt. It's the old question of is it Kleenex or facial tissue?
Old April 6, 2009, 02:00 PM   #7
TWill

i have a new 500a and had a tough time getting the stock off with a big screwdriver- it finally came, but i mucked up the slot head a little

it has a 1/2 inch ratchet head on it though, which is what i will use in the future

a trick somebody taught me about starting a reluctant nut or bolt that works amazingly well: try to tighten it first, then back it off

this works more often than not