The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 29, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Eisande

Moving targets, DIY?

Well, my department range budget isn't huge and I am trying to come up with a somewhat economical moving target system.

Here are a few of my brainstorming ideas (lots of storm, maybe not as much brain)....

remote control car; maybe attach a long plastic pole, similar to the orange bicycle flags kids have on their bikes. I would attach a stiff paper target to the top of it.

pulley system; have two heavily weighted poles with pulleys downrange, run rope between them and to the back of the range (maybe two more pulleys there) and by pulling the rope left or right targets attached could move laterally. Possibly set up a window frame downrange as well to simulate a suspect walking past a window.

weld a heavy target onto a garage door spring, then weld that to a heavy steel tire rim filled with cement. Shoot the target and get the target swaying. not sure if the spring would hold up to misses though.

Any thoughts?

Mike
Old July 29, 2005, 01:14 PM   #2
zeisloft

The garage door spring is a great way to go. It doesnt give a whole lotta movement but its good fun. With the RC car, we tie a helium baloon to a 20ft string tied to the car. Run it out to about 200+yds. Its difficult to predict the movement with a slight wind and a crafty driver. Try it but dont shoot the car.
~z
Old July 29, 2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have power at your range? If so, I know several ranges that have successfully used garage door openers /w remote. Reverse direction is done using counterweights.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 29, 2005, 01:30 PM   #4
XavierBreath

Milk jug. Tent stake. String. Friend.

Set out the stake about 30 feet. Tie string to milk jug handle. Set milk jug about 20 feet to right of stake. Run string around stake and back to shooting position. Have friend pull in jug while you shoot at it. Erratic lateral movement is the hardest to hit, so go for that.
Old July 29, 2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Eisande

Excellent ideas. Our range (when it is done being built in Dec) will have power.

Now it's time to head to a hobby store to check out remote control cars.
Old July 31, 2005, 12:59 PM   #6
garrettwc

The August 2005 issue of SWAT had an article on this very subject IIRC. Had some turning targets and some movers in it.
Old August 5, 2005, 10:29 PM   #7
chris in va

I found you can drill holes at the top of bowling pins, suspend them under a stand with string and they'll swing nicely.

Won't cost you a thing if you have something to string them to.