The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 21, 2005, 03:53 PM   #1
Duxman

Outdoor shooting locales (VA)

Does anyone know of any outdoor areas in Virginia where we can take some targets and just go have some fun shooting them?

And it is legal to do so.
Old July 21, 2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Norton

VA's a big state.....where do you live and how far are you willing to drive to a range?
Old July 21, 2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Duxman

I live in Northern Virignia, and am willing to explore almost the entire state to find a cool place to shoot. (and safe)

I would just like to put some 3D targets and be able to blast away and have some fun.

Camping and then going to a far away range is OK too.
Old July 21, 2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Norton

The Bethesda Chevy Chase Isaac Walton League out in Poolesville has a decent range, though I'm not sure how much it costs.

There's a public range about 20 miles west of Staunton. It's in the National Forest and is free. Do a search on Hite Hollow and see what you come up with.

I can give you directions if you need them
Old July 22, 2005, 12:53 AM   #5
chris in va

I just found out about a firing range at a campground just west of Winchester. I'll check it out here in a couple days and report back. I think they want the $12 per person for camping though...
Old July 22, 2005, 07:21 AM   #6
DIGITAL39

There is a decent range with indoor benches outside targets 5 or 10 miles from Lexington VA, you have to be a member but it is only 50 for the year and they have some really good deals on training. There is a Intermediate defense pistol class coming up that the instructor is giving something like $100 bux off the cost to the shooting club. I think it is called Blue Ridge Shooters Club, I can give you directions if needed.

There is also a nice range out past clifton forge in Low Moore, I am not sure what the name is, it is on national forest property I can also give directions to this range. When I have gone shooting at Low Moore with friends there have been very few people so you can put up any targets you want and not have to worry about getting in peoples way. Most shooters I have met there have been very nice and will strike up conversation with you about yor guns/ammo etc. If you want/need directions shoot me an email.

Pete
Old July 22, 2005, 03:14 PM   #7
trio

If you live in NoVA and you want to shoot outdoors you can also go to Clark Bros in Warrenton...it is a free range, but you have to buy their targets and ammo...

a box of .45 ACP runs about 17 bucks there, so it aint cheap...about 3-4 bucks more a box than at wal-mart...but you dont pay to shoot, so it balances out some...

it is the only place near me (I live in Orange) to shoot...it has some 7 yard pistol, 15 yard pistol, and 25, 50, 75, and 100 rifle...

not the best place, not the worst...

kev
Old July 22, 2005, 03:46 PM   #8
tanstaafl4y

About 5 miles west of Blacksburg on RTE 460 (Near Pandapolus Pond) is a FREE public access range in the Jefferson National Forest.
Old August 4, 2005, 01:41 PM   #9
tanstaafl4y

More public ranges in the G.W. National Forest.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/recreati...es/index.shtml
Old August 5, 2005, 10:22 PM   #10
chris in va

I see this post got resurrected...

I've been to The Cove Campground range outside of Winchester 5 times now. You can shoot whatever you want, including thrown clays. Sat/sun is $12 per person, but that's for use of everything including the campground, lake, beach etc. Weekdays it's $5 per.

Nice campground but BRING A 4WD. Trust me. One guy signed in for the 'range' on the sheet, signed right back out 30 minutes later. Seems his old Camry busted something trying to make it up there and had to be wreckered.