The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 11, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1
cabinboy

First Annual Wyoming Rifleman Challenge/Rendezvous -- 7/16-17

Come one, come all, to the First Annual Wyoming Rifleman Challenge & Rendezvous, to be held July 16-17 in Worland, WY !

Thanks to the hard work of our hosts, the Riflemen of Wyoming, shooters from across the country will be able to see how they can do against folks who look at 300 yards as "short-range" shooting!

Shooters should come prepared to shoot hard-core practical rifle courses, Wyoming style. That means bringing your rifle, ammo, and gear, while leaving your excuses at home. Sun protection, along with food and water, are range musts.

More as we get closer to the date, but here's the preliminary planned course of fire:

Saturday, July 16
0800 to 1200
Combat Rifle Match/Semi-auto

Experience the challenge of our Excellence In Competition course of fire. Targets will be the mottled “Crazy Ivan” silhouettes -- both Figure 12 and Figure 11s. The course runs from 300 yards to 25 yards with the Rifleman engaging limited exposures of targets in both rapid fire and slow fire from the standing, kneeling, sitting and prone to include moving targets.

This is a very fluid match. Each Rifleman will receive the command to “load and make ready” once. From there on out, it’s up to the Rifleman to keep his rifle topped off and ready for the targets. Each Rifleman will need at least 4 magazines and the web gear to carry them securely on the move downrange, which includes short runs.

0800 to 1200
25M AQT Rifle Clinic

We’ll also have the instructors, targets, and range space to give you an “inside shot” at the 25M AQT qualification being held later in the day. You bring your rifle, sling, ammo, and willingness to learn. Think you can keep your shots inside of 1 inch at 25M from field positions (standing, sitting/kneeling, and prone) against the clock? Are you sure?

1200 to 1400
East Meets West – A Nation of Riflemen

The Revolutionary War Veterans Association will talk about its new “Appleseed” rifleman-building program, and why you should be a part of it. Eat your lunch quickly, ‘cause as soon as we’re done yapping, you’ll have your chance to find out if you’re a cook or a Rifleman against “Fred’s” famous 25M AQT course of fire.

Shoot 210 points or better, and you’re qualified as a Rifleman. Score under 210, and we’ll have a spatula for ya!

1400 till the last one falls…...........
“Steel On Target”/“Iron Maidens”

Experience the pressure of one shot at one target from 100 yards to 700 yards. Each Rifleman gets one shot at both a full size and half size steel silhouette. Those that get the hits moves back 100 yards at a time till one Rifleman stands alone on the line.

1600-dark
“Over the Top”

Rifleman are divided up in teams, that start in the prone position on the 300 yard line berm. Upon the whistle or air-horn signal they come to their feet and race to the 200 yard line where each team engages several 12” plates. The first team to topple their targets wins.

Sunday, July 17
0800 to 1200
Combat Rifle Match/Bolt Action

Experience the challenge of our Excellence In Competition course of fire -- this time with your bolt action rifle! Targets will be the mottled “Crazy Ivan” silhouettes, both Figure 12 and Figure 11s. The course runs from 300 yards to 25 yards with the Rifleman engaging limited exposures of targets in both rapid fire and slow fire from the standing, kneeling, sitting and prone to include moving targets.

1200-1600
TBD

Awards And Recognition Ceremony

More details to follow. In the meantime, please contact [email protected] for more information.

Hope to see you there!
Old May 12, 2005, 12:06 AM   #2
yorec

Now that sounds like fun - wish I could get the time off!
Old May 13, 2005, 08:58 AM   #3
Prodigy

Long Distance shoot...

Any Caliber Restrictions?

Any Optics Restrictions?

Are there going to be different classes/levels of shooters?

Where can I get the regs for this competition?

Thank You,
Old May 13, 2005, 01:50 PM   #4
MX5

How about a link to a Website with additional information?
Old May 16, 2005, 09:10 PM   #5
cabinboy

Please contact [email protected] for details. No website; more info closer to the date.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:01 AM   #6

Ok, all I need to do is find out if I can get the time off from work.
I am already shooting a rifle match the following weekend in northern Utah. If I can get the time off, I can make a vacation of this. I can shoot this match, then see Yellowstone and all that. Be in Utah the following weeked: hopefully tuned up and ready to defend my title.

Edit: E-Mail sent. I am going to see if I can get the time off from work. If so, I am there.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Last edited by 444; May 17, 2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old May 17, 2005, 08:11 PM   #7
cabinboy

Great news! Pls contact Teufelhund at [email protected] -- he'll help with info on lodging, etc.

Though best plan is likely to bring a bag and ground cloth/tent. Bunch of us are going native over campfire steaks and powder solvents (after the sticks are away for the night, of course)
Old July 5, 2005, 09:10 PM   #8
cabinboy

Update - Sunday afternoon addition:

1200-1600
Lord Roberts Match

We'll give you a few minutes to catch your breath, then it's time for one of the classic tests of the rifleman -- the Lord Roberts Match. Named after the president of the British Society of Miniature Rifle Clubs, which were founded in response to the walloping dealt by Boer farmer/riflemen to the British Army (hmmm....) during each of the two Boer Wars, this test will be open to all bolt-action shooters. You'll have one minute, with your fully loaded bolt-action rifle, to fire as many rounds as possible into a 24-inch black bullseye at 300 yards. World record -- 30+ hits with an Enfield No 1 Mk III. Wow!

Hope to see you there!
Old July 26, 2005, 01:00 PM   #9
cabinboy

After action report:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176001