The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2012, 10:30 AM   #26
Edward429451

Howdy neighbor! Every time they needed trimmed? Are you running them hot?
Old March 4, 2012, 02:01 AM   #27
jagwire

Quote:
I use STP oil treatment for case lube and have never had a stuck case. In fact, I moistened my lube pad over 30 years ago and have never had to re-wet it. Don't even know whether they still make the stuff. You do definitely have to clean your cases after resizing to get the tacky stuff off.
+1 on the STP. THey still make it and it is dirt cheap. About $4 a quart in your automotive section. http://www.walmart.com/ip/STP-Oil-Tr...-15oz/16817398

That is enough case lube to pass down to your grandkids. I've found about 20-30 cases at a time hosed down with brake parts cleaner and rolled around in an old tee shirt makes very short work of cleaning the lube off after your done sizing. Brake Clean will completely degrease your cases and then evaporate in a few seconds.

Quote:
You should NEVER have stuck cases. Never.
I agree 100%. The first and only time I ever used Hrnady One shot I got a case stuck in a Forster .222 rem die. Never again.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:53 AM   #28
bluetopper

I use cooking oil spray and it works fine.....but I'm a cheap bastard.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:53 AM   #29
scsov509

Quote:
but I'm a cheap bastard.
AKA, a "Reloader"...
Old March 7, 2012, 10:22 AM   #30
zippy13

Lee sizing dies are haunted and are vulnerable to numerous aberrations! My buddy and I load .223s with the same dies on the same press, the same lube and the same tumbling media and polish. He gets cases stuck in the sizing die all the time and I never have. The variables are the amount of lube and the brass, I use WW cases and he uses anything he can get his hands on.
Old March 8, 2012, 09:34 AM   #31
zxcvbob

I've just started reloading .223's. I've been loading handgun cartridges for years, and dabbled a little with .30-06, but this is my first time to get serious with a bottleneck ctg.

Using range-pick-up brass with all "FC 223 REM" headstamps, I washed (they were full of sand and mud), dried, and tumbled them, then started resizing using Kiwi Mink Oil. No stuck cases, but it was taking more force than I thought it should. So I switched to lubing inside the necks with a Q-tip and castor oil, and the only lube on the outside was the castor oil from my greasy fingers. Much better. (I didn't know Lee dies had an expander ball) Now the cases are back in the tumbler to clean the oil off.

There's gotta be a better system. Is there a wax-based lube for the inside necks that doesn't have to be cleaned out? (maybe wire-pulling lube) I'm not concerned about the lube on the outsides; I can clean that off after they are loaded. And where do I get a lube brush -- the Q-tip got pretty ragged real fast.

I think I'm going to take the sizing die apart and polish the expander ball. Then it might not need lube.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:03 PM   #32
mehavey

If you are having trouble pulling the expander ball free, don't lube the inside of the neck (well, maybe a little motor mica),
get an aftermarket carbide ball instead.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...ku=00005044697
Old March 9, 2012, 12:36 PM   #33
zxcvbob

I have Lee dies, and afaik there is not a carbide expander available for them. BUT I did find a solution last night, and it's very similar to the motor mica you mentioned -- talcum powder. (make sure it's real talc and not cornstarch) I dumped some in a little cup and dipped the case necks in, then tapped against the side of the cup to knock out the excess. Worked like a champ and no oily residue in the cases to deal with. Still have to lube the outsides, but that's OK.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:16 PM   #34
langenc

Edward 425291--post #23--how do we contact the guy for some of his lube. I probably wont live another 110 yrs but maybe I can give some away.