The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 6, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
gunnysgt68

Stainless steel vs harden steel

Help!! I need an answer! Which is better stainlee steel or the regular steel for a 1911 pistol? I have a Taurus 1911 alloy and wor it out. I shoot about 5000-8000 rds a year. I need a new pistol and at this point I'm not sure. Comments would be appreciated. Thanks Gunny
Old February 6, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2
mete

Describe the usage .Target [bullseye] ,IPSC, Carry ?? Unless you need the 'stainless' properties then stick to the carbon steel.
Old February 6, 2012, 07:23 PM   #3
gunnysgt68

stainless

Thanks. I have a homemade range where I live so a few buddies and I set up IDPA and USPSA scenerios. We also shoot paper. I try to shoot what I would carry if I could (ILLINOIS). So I'm looking towards a Sig 1911 4.25" SS . I had a Springfield Armory 4" Champion Loaded in Stainless. Nice gun a touch heavy. Thanks again Gunny
Old February 6, 2012, 10:21 PM   #4
AKsRul.e

ALL gunsteels are "alloys"

Carbon steel is iron with some carbon and traces of other metals.

Stainless steel is iron with some chromium and other metals.

Either one can be relatively hard or soft - but both are harder than aluminum alloy.

Stainless is used in guns mainly because it resists corrosion.
Old February 6, 2012, 11:25 PM   #5
KyJim

Carbon steel may technically be "stronger" but you won't see any difference in the real world.
Old February 8, 2012, 04:28 PM   #6
martyd

If you were ONLY shooting at the range -1911-45cal. Would aluminum be good vs Stainless S. ? With S.S. being 7 oz. more. I trying to bull eyes the tarage and im afraid the recoil is going to stop that ? Any help -thanks Martyd
To get the S.S. is $300 more.
Old February 8, 2012, 04:55 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
Carbon steel is iron with some carbon and traces of other metals.
That only describes "plain carbon steel", not used in modern firearms. Also, there are steels like 4140, 4130 which are known as "high alloy steels", that would be referred to as, "carbon steel", if used in the context to compare to stainless steels.

Quote:
Stainless steel is iron with some chromium and other metals.
There are three categories (ferritic, matinsetic, and austinetic) of stainless steel with more than thirty AISI types. The type used in firearms is likely "Martinsetic". Martinsetic stainless steels can be heat trated for hardness, toughness.
Quote:
Either one can be relatively hard or soft - but both are harder than aluminum alloy.
Hardness is not a desired feature in some of the gun's parts (frame, slide, locking lugs, etc.). Toughness is. Some of the small parts (the sear, forinstance), needs to be "hard", to resist wear.

Quote:
Stainless is used in guns mainly because it resists corrosion.
A stainless (Stainless implies that there is only one type of steel that is stainless). Stainless steels also are not normally blued or blackened. Therefore, there is no need for additional labor to polish and apply an additional finish.

It is unlikely that a shooter will find that a stainless steel gun will have any significant difference in a useful life than a high-alloy, blued gun.

Last edited by dahermit; February 8, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old February 10, 2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Skans

The steel alloys used today are far better than they need to be - stainless v. "carbon" steel is just personal preference. I like both.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:04 AM   #9
batmann

When you say 'wore out', what exactly wore out? The slide rails, frame rails, it is just loose? It takes a lot to make about any 1911 to do that.
Old February 10, 2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Dashunde

Carbon or Stainless from a reputable maker would be fine either way.

The carbon might actually wear a bit longer, but it's finish wont hold up nearly as well unless its like Glocks Tenifer, hard chrome, or one of those ceramic coatings. YMMV.
For example, my Para is all steel and is wearing very well, but its coating completely sux.

The stainless should hold its own in wear, and it has the advantage of being taken apart (by you) and either quickly bead blasted for a fresh matt finish, or you can hand rub it with good quality 600-1000 grit sandpaper for a nice satin finish that you can touch up any time - use that black aluminum oxide stuff. Its super easy to do, just dont rub in circles - consistant back and fourth only will leave a nice finish.

For heavy usage and ease of self-refinishing I'd go stainless without a doubt.
Old February 10, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
tim s

As in all things it depoends on application. Quality SS is just fine for most applications including probably 90%+ of 1911 guns' production or semi custom. for those that prefer, say, match grade, 1911 type performance then carbon steels probably yield somewhat better final fit and precise tolerances and tend to lap in better. I'd guess this is why, for instance, an outfit like Les Baer will only produce pistols with the 1 1/2" accuracy guarantee in pistols made with carbon steel.
Old February 10, 2012, 11:43 PM   #12
orionengnr

Quote:
I have a Taurus 1911 alloy and wor it out. I shoot about 5000-8000 rds a year.
Really? The Taurus 1911s have only been out about three years now. You "wor" it out within 15,000-24,000 rounds?
What did you "wor" out?
Old February 11, 2012, 12:16 AM   #13
dsk

If there still is any difference in wearability between carbon or stainless steel it's so slight you'll never notice. The longevity of your firearm will have more to do with maintenance and/or the loads you use than which steel it's made out of. We've come a long way from the early days of stainless steel where galling and softness were issues.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:52 AM   #14
Cascade1911

Something like 8620, properly hardened, tempered and carburized, would most likely be tougher and harder than the 416 SS most commonly used in stainless frames and slides. Properly being the key word. Then again some gun makers don't even properly harden and temper their 416. On the other hand, either one will certainly wear better than aluminum.

As an aside:

Quote:
Also, there are steels like 4140, 4130 which are known as "high alloy steels"
4140 and 4130 (as well as 8620) are categorized as "low alloy steels".

Last edited by Cascade1911; February 11, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old February 11, 2012, 09:56 AM   #15
dahermit

Quote:
4140 and 4130 (as well as 8620) are categorized as "low alloy steels".
I stand corrected...they are indeed low alloy steels. Memory is not what it used to be.