The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old February 20, 2010, 07:30 PM   #26
Suwannee Tim

For every additional grain of powder you put behind a particular bullet you get less result in bullet energy. For example, a 30 carbine is very efficient, a 30-30 somewhat less efficient, a 30-06 even less so, the magnums even less efficient. The powder energy not transformed into bullet energy goes several places, flash, blast, barrel erosion and most notably, recoil. The point where more powder is not worth ever smaller increase in bullet energy is subjective and will vary by individual. For me that point comes between the Winchester magnum and the Weatherby magnum. I loves my Winchester magnum. Don't wants no Weatherby.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:57 PM   #27
SeekHer

Recoil is relative to stock design, rifle weight, retardation and redirection of the energy...

Kicks a little too much for you, stick a Mercury Tube in the butt and/or forearm and/or wear a recoil shield like a McCoy or a PAST and/or add a good new material LimbSaver, KickEeze etc. recoil pad and/or put a little less powder in the case or lastly get a whole new stock...

Wow, $20 a box more...two boxes would be $40 then or $1.00 per round more...Say 10 rounds to sight in, 5 rounds in case of jars to the system later on that leaves 25 rounds and then even if you used two rounds per hunting season that's 12½ years of hunting...Ok, if I was shooting long range precision matches it would make a difference but for Joe Average hunter, no! Then again if I was shooting matches I'd be reloading so it really wouldn't matter one iota to me...

My question to the OP is why either cartridge? Are you in a locale that long range shots for game are common? In mean if the longest shot that ever would present itself to you is 200 yds then any .25,.26, .27, .28 calibre would do it and with lots less recoil and noise...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old February 20, 2010, 09:50 PM   #28
GeauxTide

The 700 won't have the Weatherby 3/4" freebore, so there goes the 150fps difference over the Win Mag. Cases for the Win are much less expensive. In a 700, the recoil of the WBY will be the fastest you've ever experienced. Have a scope with almost 4 inches of eye relief and a big neoprene ring.
Old February 21, 2010, 02:31 AM   #29
sc928porsche

The 300 WBY is a bit faster than the 300WM with all things being equal. The WBY seems to like the heavier bullets better. It is similar to comparing the 308 to the 30-06.

Weatherby ammo is very expensive compared to the winchester, but the cost can be dropped by reloading. Once you have the brass, the WBY only costs a penny or two more per round because the components are the same and its only the difference in the amount of powder.

With either chambering, stay away from short barrels. Both of them need the length to burn the powder.

There isnt a lot of difference in the recoil of the two. Just make sure that the rifle is held snugly into the arm pocket and you press your cheek firmly against the stock. If you dont, you will get 300 magitus.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:29 PM   #30
Suwannee Tim

I'm working from memory here as I am renovating the room where I reload and my reloading manuals are all packed away, you can refer to your manuals to confirm what I say. The "overbore" magnums, the Weatherbys and the like shoot heavier bullets at about the same speed or slightly faster than the "mainstream" magnums, the Remingtons and Winchesters. Where the overbore magnums gain an edge is with the light bullets. Example, the 300 Weatherby magnum will shoot a 110 grain bullet several hundred fps faster than the Winchester but they shoot a 220 grain bullet at about the same velocity. Away from the extremes, the Weatherby will shoot a 150 somewhat faster and a 180 a little faster than the Winchester. This is true of 7mm Remington versus 7mm Weatherby, 264 magnums and others. Who wants a 300 magnum to shoot 110 grain bullets from? They are fine for some fun but have little practical application. The serious bullets, the 180s and up you get little or no gain from an overbore magnum. See for yourself look up various calibers in reloading manuals.
Old February 21, 2010, 03:32 PM   #31
mr.matt

velocity is not everything in hunting. either round will kill deer and elk just fine. Buy the gun that's cheaper to shoot - the whole point here is to go shoot and have fun hunting. If you can (and want to) afford to spend the extra on a silly 100-200fps then go for it.

For reference I own a 300WM, 270WSM, had a 300WSM, and some other smaller round guns. In comparing the ballistics and the intended use there really isn't any "good" reason to get the WBY.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:03 PM   #32
bamaranger

Here's a .300 mag story for ya.....

I haunt a public range near my home frequently. On more than one occassion, I've picked up 300 Win cases, that have been fired in 300 Weatherby rifles.

I've dubbed the resultant fire formed cases the 300 Mag Shortneck.
Old February 21, 2010, 10:11 PM   #33
uncyboo

Quote:
If you can (and want to) afford to spend the extra on a silly 100-200fps then go for it.
To a lot of us, there's nothing silly about 200 FPS............

Quote:
For reference I own a 300WM, 270WSM, had a 300WSM,
You bought 2 of the Winchester short-mags and then tell someone to buy whatever is cheaper to shoot???

I'm just jackin' with ya I hope you know that...
Old February 21, 2010, 10:59 PM   #34
okiefarmer308

300 mag short case

My first post here. A couple or 4 years back I was at a gun show and saw one of the prettiest custom stocked rifles ever. The guy said make me an offer,I popped off($200) and was the proud owner of a supposedly 300 win mag built on a 1917 Enfield action. Worse yet it was left handed stock,I can shoot either handed but am primarily right handed. Took it home prepared for mule like kicks. It did not kick as bad as many 30-06's I have shot. It is a very heavy stock,I will admit. After 3 shots I noticed the shoulders looked funny,yep it was stamped 300 win mag but is a 300 Weatherby magnum. It took a couple of trips to an old gunsmith that was sloooooow before it was figured out. Eddystone action so he magnifluxed it to be sure it was safe. My question is,I have a buttload of 300 win mag brass,would it be safe to fire form and just use them? I know the neck would be shorter but would it be feasible?

Last edited by okiefarmer308; February 22, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:34 AM   #35
uncyboo

Quote:
My question is, I have a buttload of 300 win mag brass,would it be safe to fire form and just use them? I know the neck would be shorter but would it be feasible?
If my math is correct, you would have almost no neck left. The neck on a 300 Win Mag is .264, (already shorter than caliber). The difference in total length of the 2 cartridge cases is .205. So no, I don't think this would work at all.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:06 PM   #36
WIN71

The difference........

Cost, Speed, and Pain with the nod going to Roy.
Old February 22, 2010, 01:55 PM   #37
okiefarmer308

thanks

Unckyboo(hope I spelled it right).thanks for the opinion. The blown out shoulders leave about 3/8 inch neck to try to seat a bullet, so it would have been a problem with seating.
Old February 22, 2010, 02:53 PM   #38
glazer1972

.300 Weatherby is good but I would stick with the .300 Winchester.
Old February 22, 2010, 03:01 PM   #39
precision_shooter

All of this, weatherby is 200 fps faster.... and weatherby can handle heavier bullets stuff sounds a lot like the 30-06 vs .308 debate. And we all know how that turns out...

The 300 win mag (.308) will work just fine for anything you need in North America. Ammo is cheaper and more plentiful than the weatherby.

It really comes down to personal preference....
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 22, 2010, 04:16 PM   #40
uncyboo

Quote:
The blown out shoulders leave about 3/8 inch neck to try to seat a bullet
This just does not sound right at all. The Weatherby case is 2.825 long. The Win case is 2.620 long. That's a difference of .205. The neck on the Win. case is .264. Shade-tree math says that leaves .059 neck left after you blow out a Win. case in a WBY chamber. I say shade-tree because it does not take into account the slight differences in body diameter at the shoulders, the venturi radii on the Weatherby case, etc. My point is, the Winchester case is just barely as long as the Weatherby case is at the neck junction of the latter.......
Old February 22, 2010, 04:20 PM   #41
uncyboo

Quote:
All of this, weatherby is 200 fps faster.... and weatherby can handle heavier bullets stuff sounds a lot like the 30-06 vs .308 debate. And we all know how that turns out...

The 300 win mag (.308) will work just fine for anything you need in North America. Ammo is cheaper and more plentiful than the weatherby.

It really comes down to personal preference....
While all of this is spot on, the OP's question was was it worth the screamin' deal of $299 for a Rem. 700? You'll have to admit, that's a great price. If nothing else, I'd pick it up just for the action. You could always get a little for the barrel and stock if you just use the action for a new build.....

And the biggest detriment to the WBY chambering is the cost of factory ammo (and brass).
Old February 22, 2010, 04:55 PM   #42
okiefarmer308

link

Uncyboo,here is a link showing what a 300 win mag looks like with the shoulders blown out,thats what mine look like.Hate to doubt the math but seeing is believing.

http://www.larrywillis.com/caution.html
Old February 22, 2010, 04:56 PM   #43
precision_shooter

Quote:
While all of this is spot on, the OP's question was was it worth the screamin' deal of $299 for a Rem. 700? You'll have to admit, that's a great price. If nothing else, I'd pick it up just for the action. You could always get a little for the barrel and stock if you just use the action for a new build.....
Yes, it is a good deal as far as just the price of the rifle is concerned. As long as the bore and rifling are good.

Quote:
And the biggest detriment to the WBY chambering is the cost of factory ammo (and brass).
This is why I would go with the Savage. The cost savings alone in ammo cost will more than pay for itself. May be 1 year or 5, but saving $20 a box on ammo will add up in a hurry. Say you shoot 5 boxes a year between practice/range time and hunting, then you already saved the $100 difference in the cost of the rifles. Plus, with the Savage you are getting a brand new rifle and know it has not been abused...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 22, 2010, 08:15 PM   #44
uncyboo

Quote:
The cost savings alone in ammo cost will more than pay for itself. May be 1 year or 5, but saving $20 a box on ammo will add up in a hurry. Say you shoot 5 boxes a year between practice/range time and hunting, then you already saved the $100 difference in the cost of the rifles. Plus, with the Savage you are getting a brand new rifle and know it has not been abused...
All very good points. I tend to take for granted that serious shooters usually handload. I didn't go back and read every post, so I'm not sure if the OP does or not. Handloading usually takes the ammo cost out of the equation, at least to a huge degree. Yes, some brass is initially more spendy, but averaged over several loadings this is a relatively small cost.

I have handloaded almost as long as I've been shooting, over 25 years. I know I have saved enough in ammo costs to buy a couple of rifles, and got to shoot more along the way.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:30 PM   #45
warbirdlover

If you don't like these two choices you can always get the .300 Rem Ultra Mag or the Weatherby .30-.378 (OUCH!!)...
Old February 22, 2010, 08:32 PM   #46
bigrebnc1861

Thanks to all who has responded.

There was a question asked about reloading. I don't reload I may start since what happen last year. I do not wishh to see it happen again. Now I may end up getting both using the whetherby only on certain times and Mainly as a "I have one of those type guns" Something I could pass down to the grand kids.. But the savage would be my main gun to shoot with.

One more thing if I get both I will be missing out on the Ruger GP 100 357 mag. that I have been looking for almost two years. 399.00 it looks like it just out of the box. no scratches on it. I think the guys who sold these guns were hard up for some money with the economy the way it is.

Im looking at
Remington 700 299.00
Savage 111 349.00
Ruger GP 100 399.00

That will almost complete my gun wish list.

Last edited by bigrebnc1861; February 22, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:31 PM   #47
uncyboo

If you look that Remington over real good, and the bore looks OK, you can put that 50 bucks toward your handloading set-up......

Once the initial equipment is bought, the caliber specific stuff isn't too bad. Dies, trim pilots, shell holders, etc.....
Old February 22, 2010, 09:40 PM   #48
bigrebnc1861

Quote:
If you look that Remington over real good, and the bore looks OK, you can put that 50 bucks toward your handloading set-up......

Quote:
Once the initial equipment is bought, the caliber specific stuff isn't too bad. Dies, trim pilots, shell holders, etc.....
I did and the bore looked in real good shape. The reason I believe they are saling it so cheap is that the original owner couldn't offord thwe ammo and needed the money. And the pawn shop that has it, believe it or not are not trying to rob people to make a sale. Do you know of a good handloader?
Old February 22, 2010, 09:48 PM   #49
uncyboo

Lee Anniversary kit is probably the most economical way to start. RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, any of the major players are OK. I started with the RCBS starter kit many years ago. It's still what I use.
Old February 23, 2010, 12:59 AM   #50
uncyboo

Quote:
Uncyboo,here is a link showing what a 300 win mag looks like with the shoulders blown out,thats what mine look like.Hate to doubt the math but seeing is believing.

http://www.larrywillis.com/caution.html
Thanks for the link. That was what I was trying to say. There is almost no neck, and nowhere near 3/8 of an inch, which would be .375.
Closed Thread