The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 31, 2006, 08:44 PM   #1
jroth

Input requested...

am expecting a job offer from Seattle. All hunting rifles are .308 (plus a 30/30).
Plus a T/C Contender. Do have service rifles in Cal.30.
Question is:
Should I consider rebarreling the M70 to 30-06 or 35 whelen? Or just get a 1895 marlin in 4570? or upgrade the T/C with rifle barrel and stock set?

Something to consider seeing that BC and Alaska are nearby.
Thanks for help.
Old July 31, 2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd bet a .308 will deal with anything in your immediate vicinity. For Alaska, I'd maybe get more cartridge than even the Whelen; depends on what game you're after, though.

Art
Old August 1, 2006, 12:16 AM   #3
Chris W

Depends on how far you wanna go and what you wanna shoot.

On the Wet side, where Seattle is, you will never see a shot where the slight difference between the 308 and the 30-06 will make any difference. The .308 is WAY big medicine for little Columbia Blacktail deer, and ample for wetside black bear. The only place it might be an issue is if you really want a big, heavy bullet for Roosevelt Elk on the Olympic Peninsula. I would think a premium 180 grain bullet would suffice, and you will certainly not get a shot to tax the range of the .308; but if you really wanted to have a gun just for the chance to go after these wapiti (a chance for which you have to win a draw as I understand it), then I s'pose the bump up to '06 or the Whelan might make sense.

If you're gonna come and encroach on our hunting on the East side, then you're into Mule Deer country where long shots are reputed to be a lot more common (this will make sense when you drive over Snoqualmie Pass and see the openness of Eastern WA spread out before you all at once). Folks out here seem to shoot a lot of .270's and '06's and 7mm & .300 mags.

.45-70 would do a fine job for any country I've seen in BC--it's pretty thick stuff.

Alaska, you know, that's its own deal. I've been reading these boards too dang long to think about heading up there without a .375 or sumsuch.

PS--where you lookin' to live in Seattle?
Old August 1, 2006, 10:45 AM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

Sounds like what you have is perfect for around here. Western Wa is pretty brushy dark woods so your 30/30 is perfect. Eastern wa I use a .270 and a 30-06 its much more wide open in areas so your .308 would be ideal. Up north in canada and alaska the brown bears are pretty big so I would step up. Maby add one rifle to your collection like a .375 H&H for up north. I have personaly always wanted one and that sounds like a good excuse.
Old August 1, 2006, 11:25 AM   #5
hoghunting

You can also get the 375 JDJ rifle barrel for your Contender. Hornady loads factory rounds for it now if you don't reload. It's a mighty good thumper out to 200 yds.
Old August 1, 2006, 12:11 PM   #6
Polishrifleman

Like mentioned above, you have what you need for our game in WA. A lot of diverse landscapes as mentioned. If you do step up for Alaskan game go with a lever gun. You will be amazed at the tight conditions on the West side of the state as well as Alaska unless you are in the alpine.
Old August 6, 2006, 05:09 PM   #7
formerflyer

Or you could just stick with your '06 and switch to premium 180's for anything from Barrow to Tierra del Fuego. More costal brown bear and big moose killed with the '06 than just about any two other choices.

If you want something that handles better in the rainforest (wet side) then a big bore lever might make some sense, but it will give up a lot on distance shots. Myself, I'd make sure I had a good low power variable on the '06 (1.5X5 or so) and spend your time and money getting good with it. I'd also recommend Barnes TSX's as your premium of choice.

If you're dead set on a more powerful rifle for the big stuff, then there's a lot to recommend the .375, again mounted with a low power variable. Good medecine for just about anything that might come up.

If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier.
Old August 6, 2006, 06:19 PM   #8
hpg

You are not going to gain anything except 250fps by going from a 308Win to a 30-06. Same bullet. The 308 will handle anything you encounter in the lower 48. Proven fact. hpg
Old August 6, 2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Anthony Terry

If you handload, a 308 can be loaded to the same velocity of the 30-06 till you go past 150gr. Then it'll lack some, but not alot.
Old August 7, 2006, 10:30 AM   #10
armedandsafe

My experience says a 30-06 with 180gr for most game, including moose, or 220gr for brown or white bear. Use 168gr for short range (<500 yards)varmints and target. The .308 will do anything you want it to do on deer, elk and moose with 150 or 168 gr bullets, as you don't give up a thing to the -06 until you pass that weight bullet. I've hunted Nevada, Oregon plains, Arizona, New Mexico, Alaska, Washington and Idaho with the -06 since 1948 and took everything I hit with the -06. That included brown bear, white bear, moose, elk, mule deer, white tails, antelope, hogs, javelina, chucks, rats and one chipmunk (don't ask.)

Give me a shout when you get here and we'll chat about getting together any time you come East over the hills.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old August 7, 2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Scorch

I'll have to agree with the others here. The 308 will work fine for any hunting you do locally (West Coast), but if you plan on going to Alaska you might need extra firepower. Of course, if you plan on going to Alaska, you will have your banker tell you how much you can afford, and a new rifle may be in the budget.

A 30-06 is a sure bet, but you don't gain a lot over the 308 until you get into heavier bullets. Out west, you can do almost anything with a 308, 30-06 or 7mm Mag. If you travel for antelope, elk, deer, pigs, or anything, any of those will work just fine.
Old August 17, 2006, 09:36 PM   #12
jroth

Thanks!..

for all your responses.
It helps understanding what to expect and that I'm not handicaped with present
firearms.
Just got by local gunshop (Debit Master) and was drooling over a Marlin1985 in 45/70 and 20 barrel, @ $465.
Or taking a bubbdized 17 enfield action and getting a .375H&H on and Good walnut stock.
Old August 18, 2006, 12:44 PM   #13
Scorch

Mmmmmmmmmm, 375 H&H, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm