The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 1, 2006, 02:01 AM   #1
dman86

Pistol Caliber Carbines

Live in Cali, and am becoming interested in these things. How do I know if a particular model I am researching is legal here? How about Hi-point carbines? Are they legal? Information and links would be helpful.
Old January 1, 2006, 05:57 AM   #2
nunoste

California laws

You can go here for information on california gun laws. You can go here to get a list of banned "assault" weapons. This will probably change in the new year so make sure you are up to date, as California is constantly adding new firearms to put on the list.
Old January 1, 2006, 06:18 AM   #3
blume357

Ruger pc9

I have a Ruger PC9, great little rifle...trigger is a little hard but I've only shot it about 100 times. But then, your state maybe outlawing them...it is a black on black rifle.
Old January 1, 2006, 07:55 AM   #4
Para Bellum

Old Marlin

I had the chance to extensively test the Marlin Camp-9 recently. Great stuff. You can train with it at IPSC Pistol ranges.
The Marlin Camp-9 is out of production. The Ruger is said to be even better.
If you can't get an AR/AK/AUG, go for it. It radically increases your HD abilities and is great fun at any range...
Old January 1, 2006, 08:28 AM   #5
joshua

The Marlin Camp 9 is an excellent carbine especially if you use a Smith & Wesson 5906 and same frame pistol even the compacts, because you can use the full length magazines in the Marlin. I've been toying of buying one to go with my Kalifornia legal 5906. josh
Old January 1, 2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Widder

The Hi-Point isn't legal in CA, unfortunately. But the M-1 carbine is. If I were in the market, I'd buy that one. It has looks, handling and history in spades. And the .30 caliber round is hard-hitting.
Old January 1, 2006, 12:04 PM   #7
gak

I second the M-1 Carbine--very hard to beat for reliable fun, HD/SD duty, and also the Rugers especially if wanting to accompany same mag Ruger pistols. While it could be classed a "pistol round," .30 Carbine pistols are somewhat of a specialty item (typically limited to longer (mostly 7-1/2", e.g. Ruger Blackhawk, and recently USFA-SAA) barrels and are very loud), so the duality of pistol-carbine round is not the main point in my mind with that rifle--if that's an issue. Also if not having to have a semi-auto, I believe you'd be in pretty good shape with any of the levers out there - Marlin, Rossi (Win) 92-based (EMF, Navy Arms, Legacy Puma (LSI), older Rossi-labled), and Win 92/94, in .357, .44 Mag, .45 Long Colt., etc. The levers generally "only" shoot 10 (if a standard 20" barrel) out of their tube mags anyway so you're legal right out of the box. 16" "trapper" length usually cuts the capacity down a round or two. The above group of carbines should give you some pretty decent shopping latitude. Good luck.