The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 6, 2000, 10:36 PM   #1
P-35

Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other? I currently use bases up to get a loading grip on the shell as I strip it out and move to the loading port. I was also trained to load from back to front. It seems that the SideSaddles are set up for base down as they come from TacStar because the plate has to be inverted to use it the was I am describing.
Old February 7, 2000, 12:44 AM   #2
Rimfire

P-35,
I have been using my sidesaddle for years and have always loaded shells base down. For me it seems faster to get a shell into the loading port. I tried the base up method but it felt wrong. It seems like the shorter the distance from the sidesaddle to the loading port the better. A pull down, push in method works for me. Good luck.
Old February 7, 2000, 06:34 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Tried both ways,neither seems to have any clear advantage to me. Base down currently, so it's easier to see what kind of shell it is, there's both 00 and slugs in the carrier.
Old February 7, 2000, 12:08 PM   #4
NJW

Either way if it doesn't matter to you. If you want to do a tactical reload then they have to be base down. A tactical reload with a SG is basically when you keep your SG mounted on your shoulder and continue to scan for threats(ready to fire) while loading more shells into the magazine with your weak hand.

NJW in AZ
Old February 7, 2000, 12:20 PM   #5
Cat

I prefer the bases down. I can reach them with either hand with the forearm mounted, or if I have to turn it over they are right there. It would be a very unnatural act for me to try to pull them out from the top with the bases up, no matter which way I was holding the firearm.

Neil Casper
Old February 7, 2000, 04:12 PM   #6
Ned Roundtree

Bases down. But only because that is the way I have gotten use to. It seems easier to pull down with your weak hand then pull up. Just my two cents.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited February 07, 2000).]
Old February 7, 2000, 06:23 PM   #7
Rosco Benson

Bases down. This permits the shells to be withdrawn and loaded, while the shotgun remains shouldered and pointed at the threat area, without one's hand blocking one's vision.

Rosco
Old February 7, 2000, 07:46 PM   #8
jfrancis

Bases down for ease of inserting shells through the loading port. However, I carry one slug base up in the first position for a slug select. That way it's easier to drop it through the ejection port over the top of the gun.

John Francis
Old February 7, 2000, 09:11 PM   #9
Tackleberry

I agree with all that say base down, but make sure the carrier you are using will grip the rounds during recoil. (concern for elastic holders)

I would stress thouogh, if a variety are going to be carried, make it two (2) minimum and ALWAYS in the same order/location and train to reload back and forth between selsctions. I also advocated reverse positioning in the carrier. My preferance is the primary load, base down and the secondary selection base up. (if you have time to contemplate the change in projectile you can deal with the different movement. (as I said practice both)

"People won't rise to the occassion...they'll only default to their level of training."

------------------
Be Safe, Be Trained

Life is tough...it's alot tougher if you don't know how to shoot.
Old February 7, 2000, 09:15 PM   #10
pete80

Base down. Even if your side-saddle has a mix of slug and buckshot, it will be simpler to come straight down with the shell and follow through into the magazine.

Old February 8, 2000, 07:15 PM   #11
P-35

Hmmm, seems unaminous, I'll give basedown a try. Thanks for the feedback.
Old February 9, 2000, 06:53 PM   #12
Stopdropnroll

Absolutley bases DOWN.

Get your shot gun, shoulder it, pretend you have fired all your shells but the one in the tube and you have one perp at gunpoint.

with the gun aimed at something safe...try reloading with bases up....not going to happen without taking weapon well off target.

practice loading gun while on target with bases down, it is fast and easy with a little practice. SDnR

[This message has been edited by Stopdropnroll (edited February 09, 2000).]
Old February 9, 2000, 08:31 PM   #13
ddt4free

I have never liked the feel of the side saddles at all. When fully loaded with 3" slugs or 00 buck it makes the weapon feel lopsided while holding it in any position. There are far better options for carrying extra ammo.

I have a bandoleir (sp?) of buck shot laying right on top of my HD shotgun. When I grab one I throw on the other. Of course, I assume I will be cold and dead if I can shoot all 8 rounds from the mag and have to reload without solving the problem in the first place.

Hmmm, lets do the math, say 11 or more 00 buck pellets flying down range every shot. That's around 90 thirty caliber rounds in a matter of seconds if need be. Most submachine guns can't equal that performace because their mags are too small. You could take out two or three godzilla's as long as they were within fifty yards. I love my shotguns!

Another reason I don't like side saddles is because with brass side up you may have problems with reflection in bright light or when you are trying not to be seen. I also try to snag proof all of my serious weapons and that usually means taking cool do dads like a side saddle off, not putting one on.
Old February 9, 2000, 09:50 PM   #14
P-35

Maybe I should clarify the training that I received. Using a four finger grip to cradle the shell (The shell sits on the middle joints and is held by the second and pinky fingers) and then to guide the round to the loading port. With bases up you push the tip of the shell with the thumb, strip the round out and then rotate the hand to the bottom of the receiver. It's actually quite quick and positive. You can load or even chamber load while up on target or at low ready.

I tried the bases down and it seemed a tad slower especially trying to get a four finger grip. It works okay if you grab the round like a cigarette and then seat it in the mag tube with the thumb. Gives the other method a try. We have debates on the range during requal about bases up or down in the buttcuff too, that definitely is a toss up with practice being the key.

Be aware that under stress I have seen people load a round into the magazine tube base first and it's a bitch to clear, basically transition to sidearm at that point. I wouldn't have believed it but I did it myself while experimenting with different position. Good luck to all.