The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 17, 2015, 08:27 PM   #1
Duke City Six

New Tippmann Armory Rolling Blocks

Howdy folks,

Mostly I hang out on the revolver forum, but lately I've become interested in single-shot rifles. In the new issue of "Guns of the Old West," I came across an ad for new rolling blocks from an outfit called Tippmann Armory. It seems they are made in the U.S. ( Indiana, I think ), and are offered in 357 mag and 44 mag. Who knows what the quality and customer service will be like, but I think I will be keeping an eye on these.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 18, 2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old March 17, 2015, 10:05 PM   #2
SaxonPig

Nothing for Tippmann on Gunbroker.
Old March 17, 2015, 10:33 PM   #3
tahunua001

ok well Tippmann LLC is a paintball gun manufacturer out of Indiana and as of 2014 owns an airsoft company called...... wait for it...

... Tippmann Arms.

if they are now making centerfire weapons... I would probably wait to make sure that they aren't made out of the same materials as their paintball guns and airsoft products.

EDIT: tippmann armory is indeed a child company of Tippmann Paintball. I would probabably pass unless they have one heck of a price point.

Last edited by tahunua001; March 17, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old March 17, 2015, 11:58 PM   #4
Duke City Six

First of all, I'm not plugging for these guys, but this is what I have found out so far.

I called the number today and talked to a sales rep. If I remember correctly, he said they started back in the 80's with ... machine guns. Then, when laws started changing, they got into paint ball and eventually air guns. Recently, they decided to start making real guns again.

Walnut stocks? Carbon steel? He said he'll get back to me on the rifling details. MSRP about $899.00. Like I said, who knows?

I like the idea of a single-shot rifle in a pistol caliber with iron sights. Taylor lists the "Baby Rolling Block" in 357, which I think is a Uberti gun. Not sure about availability. Aside from that, there don't seem to be many choices.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 18, 2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old March 18, 2015, 12:17 AM   #5
Duke City Six

p.s.

I'm aware of the Rossi 44 mag, but the Tippmann looks much more traditional and it appears to be U.S. made. I also heard recently that the H&R line is going to be dropped, and at any rate I believe that the 357 and 44 Handi-Rifles are scope only, as are the CVA Scout 44s. I'm not sure about some of the other Thompson center models.

But really, all those modern break-action guns are a whole different thing. The old-fashioned rolling block style is SO much more appealing.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 18, 2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old March 18, 2015, 12:46 AM   #6
Chuck Dye

Try Tippmann Armory...

http://tippmannarmory.com/rollingblock.html

A casual search for vendors or prices has failed me.

The rifle looks like it might be fun for plinking and short range hunting, but I think I'd rather a traditional rifle caliber such as .45-70 or one of the other straight wall black powder rounds. Maybe a modern straight walled round such as the .375 Winchester or .444 Marlin. (Something like an affordable .470 Nitro Express or its ilk? Yeah, dream on!)
Old March 18, 2015, 01:52 AM   #7
Bake

I'm thinking about all the neat straight wall cases that could fit. 357Remington Maxie, maybe?
Old March 18, 2015, 11:03 AM   #8
Duke City Six

The pistol caliber is part of what makes it so appealing to me, for the same reasons that some folks like these calibers in a lever gun. I already have the reloading gear for both calibers, which I shoot in my revolvers. Short-range plinking with inexpensive cast bullet loads, straight wall cases, carbide dies and a lot less recoil than, say, a 45-70. What's not to like?
Old March 18, 2015, 01:26 PM   #9
Bake

The lack of information is always a pain. I assume () this rolling block is going to be a "Baby" rolling block, not a full size rifle. If I'm correct, then the handgun calibers would be the excellent choices. Back in the day when the military used full size rolling blocks, a carbine would have been defined as a small, light weight, weapon chambered for a pistol round, and issued to Officers, some NCO's, the Cavalry (horseback), and other troops that had better thing to do than carry around a full size rifle.
Old March 18, 2015, 03:03 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Tippmann at one time made scale models of the Gatling gun in .22 LR.
Old March 18, 2015, 03:31 PM   #11
SaxonPig

A juke box company made rifles in WW II. So did a car company...and a sewing machine company. Why dismiss a gun because the manufacturer has made other things previously?
Old March 19, 2015, 11:46 PM   #12
tahunua001

Quote:
If I remember correctly, he said they started back in the 80's with ... machine guns
actually they made miniature gatling gun replicas then they switched to airguns and when they figured out a way to perfect their CO2 tank propellant system they turned to paintball guns. Tippmann makes some of the best paintball guns out there but I would not want a firearm made of the same materials. Umarex is another notable airsoft/paintball company that from time to time makes guns like the walther P22 which has a nasty reputation for warping and malforming under normal operation, why? because they use the same production practices for their 22LRs as they do with their guns that operate by compressed CO2. imagine what would happen if they chambered them in 357 or 44 mag?

Quote:
A juke box company made rifles in WW II. So did a car company...and a sewing machine company.
as well as typewriter companies, international harvester made M1 garands, and chrysler refrigerator company made ammo, however they built all of that stuff on equipment given to them by the government and built to government standards.

personally I like Tippmann as a company(except their turbine feed systems... those suck), but like I said, I would have to see the quality first hand and I would have to see a lower price tag, $900 MSRP comes down to about $775 real world price and for that I could get a 357 or 44 mag lever gun, or save an extra couple hundred and get a Ruger number 1 and not have to worry about the quality of either.

Last edited by tahunua001; March 19, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old October 7, 2015, 03:43 PM   #13
matts

Tippmann armory .357 and .44 magnum rolling blocks now in full production

The New Tippmann Armory .357 and .44 Magnum Rolling Blocks are now in full production and ready for shipment. The MSRP for this U.S. built gun is $900 We are currently accepting authorized FFL dealers. www.tippmannarmory.com Toll Free 800-671-1498
Old October 8, 2015, 08:55 PM   #14
A pause for the COZ

Tippmann has been around a while. Back in my younger ( before wife) Phase.
Tippmann made the top of the line paint ball guns. Back when you paid $900 for a good one with all the bells.

I suspect they have some competent engineers around.
Will see, I want a rolling block. But at this price I am in no hurry.
Now if I could order one in a Caliber I want.. maybe...

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; October 8, 2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old October 8, 2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Super Sneaky Steve

Matts, what size is the dovetail for the sights. They look like they could be improved some.
Old October 8, 2015, 11:37 PM   #16
Slopemeno

I was a custom airsmith back in the early 90's- and I built hundreds of custom paintball guns. While the guns I worked on were in a different price range then Tippmans were (I was a WGP Autococker fan) I'll say this about Tippmann:

Their guns worked- under conditions of unbelievable abuse and neglect.
Ask a paintballer how heavy duty the SL-68 was, or the Prolite. Dennis and company were 100% about customer service. I sent in guns with obvious abuse, and they came back repaired and ready.

I'd buy a firearm from the Tippmanns without a second thought to how it was designed or manufactured.

Oh, and the Tippmanns? The got their start manufacturing industrial sewing machines, then scaled down Browning machine guns in .22 lr, then paintball.
Old October 9, 2015, 02:11 AM   #17
A pause for the COZ

If they come out with a carbine length in 327 magnum, I am a buyer.
Old October 9, 2015, 05:52 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

I will agree with Slopemo on the reliability of their products. When I was playing paintball pretty much every rental place carried tippman markers. They could take an incredible amount of abuse. I own a pro-lite and SL-68 I bought off craigslist for a song and a dance a piece just because they are so robust. One day I'll buy a few acres and get a few friends together and we'll play with the old Tippmanns until we pull a muscle or worse.

$900 price point is certainly a different market than the H&R rifles being discontinued.
A blued $900 rifle isn't what I take hunting.
I think quite a few will be interested though.
Old October 9, 2015, 06:51 PM   #19
Model12Win

There website is no good.

Absolutely no product descriptions and only a few distorted, small pictures.

I think if they care to sell any of these, they should at least make a better darn website first.
Old October 10, 2015, 08:31 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Notice the rifle being held in this photo, and others on their site for that matter, is not even their product. The site is definitely half effort.