The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: HK p7 or Sig 239?
Sig 239 15 31.91%
HK P7 PSP 32 68.09%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 29, 2009, 10:52 PM   #26
Trebor

I've owned both and I sold all my P7's and now I'm looking for a second 239.

I was really enamored of the P7 for awhile. It is a *nifty* design.

But, after one about four or five different examples over the course of a year and a half, I decided it wasn't the pistol for me.

It always pointed low in my hand and was actually slower to get on target with for the first shot then pretty much any other pistol I own.

I found it to be dead nuts accurate out to about 10 yards or so for me, but past that my practical accuracy dropped off rapidly. I struggled keeping the shots on a paper plate at 25 yards which I something I could easily do with my other carry guns.

I did try carrying a P7 for awhile, first a M8 and later a PSP. I had a couple accidental mag releases with the M8, which is why I later bought a PSP.

I tried a Mitch Rosen ARG at first, but never liked how it felt. Later I got a Milt Sparks Versa Max II and that worked better, although the holstered pistol still felt very top heavy.

There were a couple things that finally made me decide that the P7 wasn't for me and sell all my examples. The first was that during one range trip I realized I shot my $150 Makarov better then my $1,000 P7. That was disconcerting.

The other was when we realized that while my wife could shoot the P7 just fine with two hands, she struggled to compress the squeeze cocker enough to cock the pistol with her strong hand only and couldn't do it at all with her weak hand only. Since this was to be a defensive pistol for both of us (we had "his and her" guns) that was the final straw.

For the 239, the grip is a little small for my hand, but after using the pistol for a four day instructor's class at the Sig Arms Academy I grew used to the grip and really started to learn how to shoot that little pistol very well.

My gun is the standard DA/SA and now I'm looking for either a second standard model or a DAK model.
Providing instruction in Metro Detroit & Lansing areas.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:05 AM   #27
Shadi Khalil

I picked the 239, but I was faced with the choice of the two. When I bought my 239 it was the first gun I had bought after losing a strong and growing collection. It came down to both those and I picked the 239. I really wanted the HK but I had shot the 239 before hand and really liked it. If I'd had the chance to shoot the HK I might have bought it. I have no regrets, its my favorite gun thus far.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:37 AM   #28
Timtheenchanted

Well I am going with the P7 PSP, They do seem to point well for me, as well as my sigs and 1911. Plus it is a real bargain for me as I got my 229 for WAY under value (~475) and this will be a straight trade. And I will probably get a 239 later anyway, or if I don't like how the P7 shoots I can probably straight trade it to someone for a 239. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:56 AM   #29
SigfanTN

I have both, and have been trying to carry both. I still lean toward the 239 since that is what I have been carrying the most and before I got the P7.

I have put 3000-4000 rounds through the 239, and I am very comfortable with it.

I will have to say that I pined over getting a P7 for some time because they are so unique and I'd heard nothing but good things about them. Well everything about them is true. It points very naturally for me and is accurate as all get out. It also has a cool factor that most other guns just don't (including my Sig).

I guess it really boils down to what AK103K said:
Quote:
you basically need to dedicate yourself to the gun if your going to carry it if you dont want that nagging doubt in the back of your mind.
I need a good bit more time at the range with this pistol before I can fully commit to carrying it.

My Sig has NEVER failed me, so it's still my main carry piece.

To answer your question, I think your decision to get the P7 is good since they are only going to go up in price, and it sounds like you were getting a better deal on it anyway. Like you say, the 239 will be available later and probably cheaper than what the P7's will be in the future.

Last edited by SigfanTN; January 30, 2009 at 01:01 AM. Reason: forgot to answer the OP
Old January 30, 2009, 12:59 AM   #30
Dave85

I voted P7. For me, the P7 represents one of those rare occasions when my expectations have been vindicated by reality. It pointed naturally, and shot more accurately for me than any handgun I have fired. So, I dug deep and picked up the the P7(M8), and I do carry it most every day in a Horseshoe Leather beltslide.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:48 AM   #31
Ace_Breaker

I moved all of my Sigs to make room for these. Not that I dislike Sigs, it's just that these were a step above. Of the three, I've never had a misfire, malfunction, or flaw of any kind. They have fed all ammo I've put into them. The performance is impressive.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 18, 2009, 12:32 AM   #32
bob.a

Nice thing about the P7, it more or less forces you to use good technique. A nice tight grip is mandatory if you want it to fire. Also the absence of switches, levers and extraneous hardware on the frame makes it nice for CC; nothing to hang up on, no worries about the safety carrying cocked and locked or having to push the lever up or down. And there's the trigger. Nicest you'll find in a semiauto. Also one of the most attractive pistols I've ever seen, but that's just my opinion.

I prefer the heel mag release, which is good because it's also cheaper, with all the surplus German pistols coming into the market.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:57 AM   #33
Pilot

I have a P228. Nice gun, but I just don't like the high bore axis and blockiness of the pistol. Its just not for me. The P7, however, points like an extension of my arm, has little muzzle flip and is very accurate. I have a P7M8 and PSP. I carry the PSP and keep the M8 for the range.

Tags
239 , compact , h&k , p7psp , sig