The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2006, 08:24 AM   #26
shooter chef

Shoney, thanks for the honest, experienced reply... That is what I am looking for.... ON TOPIC and from people that have USED the Hornady or Lee.
Flame Suit Donned.......... Thanks all for the replies, but I never asked about a Dillon, and if anyone actually read the beginning of the thread, I specifically asked about experience with a Hornady or Lee, as I stated I could not afford a Dillon.
I am sure they are great presses, but for the press, conversion kits, and shell plate, case loader, strong mount, etc, etc, etc, when I load for 5 calibers..... I could not afford to go the route of about 1000.00

Thank you all for replying,... I received a lot of great information.
Maybe when I get a extra few hundred I will look into a Dillon or such in the future... isn't there for me now.....
Old December 26, 2006, 10:09 PM   #27
jsflagstad

A Loadmaster is on the way..

I just ordered up a Lee Loadmaster yesterday. Seemed like a great value so I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for all of the input on this thread.

JSF
Old December 26, 2006, 10:36 PM   #28
shooter chef

js....
have used the loadmaster now for about 2000 rounds loaded already between 5 calibers.
It does take patience for the first few loadings, as it takes time to "feel' the machione do its work....
But...after that it is a dream, sometimes something will go amiss, just like any other.
But, for the money, and the case feeder, it is exceptional.Just like any other loadmaster user will say... patience is key in setting it up correctly and getting a good feel for it during it's first uses.
I am very happy with the decision to get it.
Just my opinionated .02!
Old December 27, 2006, 06:00 AM   #29
kgpcr

Hornady is a MUCH better deal than the blue press. I have had several friends upgrade from the 550 to the Hornady and they will tell you it was the best choice they ever made. The Hornady is a 5 station auto indexing press vs 4. changeover for each caliber is MUCH cheaper and alot faster to do. you dont have to buy any silly conversion kits just a shell plate for a fraction of the blue cost and you are ready to go.

Dont drink the blue koolaid
Smith M&P 40
Old December 27, 2006, 08:54 AM   #30
jsflagstad

Chef,

I have heard that a super sturdy mount for the Loadmaster is a must, and it will take some of the issues out of the Loadmaster. Do you find this to be valid? Maybe it allows one to "feel" what the press is doing better. I have loaded thousands of rounds on my dad's Dillon 550, so this should be a good comparison for me. I have seen the Hornady press at the local Gander here in town and it certainly looks like a good one too, and certainly is robust.

I noticed that with the Dillon you also needed to "feel" what the press was doing, and that thing would install a primer upside down or sideways from time to time as well so they are not without their problems. The other thing that I never really got comfortable with on the Dillon was priming on the up-stroke. I am sure it is totally fine and acceptable, but it always seemed weird to me and the area where I would most likely screw up. Maybe this is the what that most progressives are, maybe this is what that the Loadmaster has, I don't know.

I did order the extra parts that everyone recommended with the loadmaster. I thing it cost me like $10 extra.

I plan to set it up taking my time and reading every bit of instruction (new to me) and viewing the online videos. I have never been let down by a Lee product when I have used it properly, so this should be another good experience I am hoping.

JSF
Old December 27, 2006, 04:34 PM   #31
RERICK

Loadmaster

I got mine a few weeks ago and its just like everyone says.You need to have patience.I did have an issue as to the powder measure in terms of light charges of Power Pistol.It was suggested that I lube the little wiper with a dry graphite and I did so.I also lubed the disk I was using.It hasn't given me a problem since.Before I lubed it I was getting 5.6 grains and according to the chart with that disk I should have gotten 6.I now get 5.9 almost all the time which to me is ok.I did pick up the RCBS baffle and installed it and the micro disk and the adjustble one as well.I also had some issues with the priming system as to some sideways installed primers and one upside down one and a couple of crushed also.I took it apart and rubbed the graphite lube into it and blew off the excess with a little compressed air and it hasn't given me a problem since.It should be noted that this was the same method I used to lube the powder measure.I am happy that I bought a Loadmaster and would do it again.I have used Dillon presses and they do work well but they are not without there issues as well in terms of the priming system as I did see my buddy have things such as sideways and primers getting crushed.
They are very good presses but I could not justify the cost.I guess some drive Chevy and some will drive a Ford ?

I almost forgot the guy at Lee said if I wanted to I could install a decapping die in the first station and remove the decapper from the sizeing die and put it in the priming station and that would help with alignment of the shell.I did do this and it does work well.

Last edited by RERICK; December 27, 2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: I had another thought
Old December 27, 2006, 06:31 PM   #32
CrustyFN

Here is a link to a Loadmaster setup video someone made on a different forum. I don't own a progressive so I don't have first hand experience but this video has had good reviews from loadmaster users on the other forum. I hope this helps.
Rusty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTSO176Q6U8
Old December 27, 2006, 08:12 PM   #33
rnovi

I've been loading off the same old Hornady Pro-Jector press for the past 15 years. In the past couple years I've loaded over 20,000 rounds on it - it just keeps on chugging along at an honest rate of around 400 rounds per hour. I'm at the point now where I want a shell feeder but given the age of the press it just isn't going to happen. I'm going to have to upgrade to a new press...

In any case, Hornady's are fine presses and you will be doing well to have one.

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old December 27, 2006, 09:38 PM   #34
jsflagstad

rnovi,

Is the press too wore to justify to spend the extra money on the case feeder? The Hornady look pretty robust, I am just curious where ther may show wear after much use?

JSF
Old December 31, 2006, 02:03 PM   #35
roc1

Hornady or Lee

I personally own the Dillon and the Hornady presses.They both are great machines both have their good and bad points.The Hornady is cheaper to convert calibers and is stouter built.I have nearly 25,000 rounds on mine.I also use a single stage Hornady for rifle because I load less rifle than pistol.Hornady has always fixed anything for free just like Dillon period.Lee makes good dies I bought my Hornady from a guy who uses a Lee and said it was all he needed.He said it works great.I think most people who brag on Dillon have NEVER used anyone elses machine. I have owned 2-Dillons and 2-Hornadys both are great machines,this is experience talking not sales hype.
roc1
Old December 31, 2006, 02:22 PM   #36
jsflagstad

I like to hear from the guys with experience with different set ups. The closest experience I have with experience to Hornady is an old Pacific C Press that I used of my dad's. Pacific is now owned by Hornady so I guess that is kind of indirect. But it is and has been a good little press. Looking at the Hornadys I have seen at the store I can certainly say that they are certainly robust. I am not sure what model I was looking at, but it was their progressing setup with their quick change collets. Very impressive unit that I would be proud to own.

Between the Dillon and the Lee, so far I can't see anything that I miss with the Dillon that the Lee doesn't do as good or better. The Dillon is a 550 and it is not an auto index, so it is not a real fair comparison unless you consider the price of the 2.

All in all, I think of all the companys that we have access to that make products for us, if they put a good warranty or guarantee on it, I figure it is not junk as some say and it is probably worth a try.

Right now, the Loadmaster is working great for me. If someone wants to tell me it's junk, well that is fine with me. I will just go on loading and shooting and having the fun that I am currently having.

JSF
Old December 31, 2006, 04:31 PM   #37
roc1

You are right if it works for you that is what matters.I upgraded my machine ot adapt a casefeeder.I was having problems with the index jerking more than I like.I sent the amchine back to Hornady they fixed the problem and upgraded the subplate to accept the casefeeder I asked them about all at no charge.The subplate listed for $75.I have always had good luck with their service dept.All machines have their own quirks and problems no matter who built it.I owned 3 old starr machines they are great but they have a coulpe of their own problems also.The biggest problem is no parts readily available.
Good Luck on your purchase.
roc1
Old January 2, 2007, 01:40 PM   #38
barbwire44

I also have the hornady and don't have any complaints, I do load mostly pistol rounds, but as of lately I started loading my 308 and 223 on it as well. And so far so good I have loaded over 10000 rounds of 40 s&w and maybe 3000 9mm. And the only thing I keep on hand is an extra spring for the feeder plate, I have broken it twice actually broke one without a spare the first time the night before an idpa match I didn't want to miss and stole one of the wifes little parachute type cord hair scrunchy and loaded 300 rounds with that holding the brass in the press......LOL!!!
Old January 3, 2007, 02:00 AM   #39
PsychoKnight

Yes, Don ..that is correct they pretty much fit each other, but I have read that the Lee dies and the honady lockNload don't always play nice together, I guess they have to be screwed in very deep, and the 9mm does not work well at all.

Well, there is a simple trick to get the Lee dies to seat fully into the LnL. Just flip the die's lockring upsidedown, discard the rubber 0-ring, and you will get the additional thread or two to just barely engage all the threads in the lockring.

I have the LoadMaster, 12 years, but looking at the Hornady LnL lately. It is way smoother than the herky-jerkie Lee LM, but I'm not liking the primer tube pickup system. You have to pick each and every single primer individually with a pickup tube. On the Lee, you throw a hundred in the tray, shake till they are all turned up, and you're done, about 6 seconds. To be fair, for the LnL you can get a Frankford Arsenal Vibra Prime for $30 to fill primer tubes in about 25 sec., but still, and extra device and an extra step.

Also, $255 for a LnL case feeder? That's $350press + $255feeder = $605. No shellplate or dies ? ($27plate, $35dies) $667 for 1 caliber. No bullet feeder?
On my LoadMaster, I don't like the smashed primer sliders & mangled top cover for the primer trough , due to the flimsey primer activation arm that pops out from the slider pin every so often and allows the primer to punch the slider right through the primer trough top cover. Be prepared to purchase a half dozen primer sliders and trough covers for each primer size so you have ready backup. Good thing sliders are only $1 each and trough covers $2, and shipping is a flat $4. I don't mind keeping $20 in spare parts if it saves me $400 or $500 from buying a better press and several calibers. If I had the money to spend, I'd get another gun instead.

Last edited by PsychoKnight; January 3, 2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old January 3, 2007, 08:34 AM   #40
jsflagstad

Pschycoknight,

Thanks for the tip on the spare parts on the Loadmaster. I have the spare sliders but didn't know about the trough covers. I sure like the Loadmaster, it really works well for me and it was priced right ($215 with the case feeder).

JSF
Old January 3, 2007, 07:45 PM   #41
roc1

You might look for a good used LNL press.I bought mine off a guy who never used it for $250.he decided he did not load enough and would just stick to his Lee.i know he was telling truth by looking at it clean and no wear at all.I have a little over $400 in my LNL total except dies but I got two sets when I bought the press off the guy in the deal for $250.I upgraded the primer system which is a lot better.That $400 is counting press 2 sets dies Automatic casefeeder new primer system.look on ebay or AA for good deals.
roc1
Old January 3, 2007, 10:59 PM   #42
Scooter72

My favorite color is BLUE and my favorite number is 550.

Old January 4, 2007, 08:28 AM   #43
jsflagstad

Team red for me......

JSF
Old January 4, 2007, 09:32 PM   #44
shooter chef

js... glad to hear the LM is working well for you, I have a prob here and there with the small slider, but for 1.00, no biggie... it is fast...
BTW... there are great videos on youtube for adjusting, and ESPECIALLY lubing the Loadmaster... after i followed the lubing from the video, the machine was awesomely much smoother! Happy reloading.... and shooting