The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2014, 07:42 PM   #1
6mm

New 9mm

Have been looking for a new 9mm. Was leaning toward a Walther PPQ, but just not around here. Looked at a Walther PPX and was not impressed. Had the chance to shoot a Ruger SR9 and a Beretta PX4 Storm. The Ruger was ok, but was really impressed with the PX4. Needless to say the PX4 came home.

Fired over 150 rds of FMJ, JHP, in both 115gr and 124gr. Not a single hiccup. It handled really well, the softest shooting 9mm I have shot.

Old April 16, 2014, 08:26 PM   #2
lamarw

Congrats on your new pistol. If it serves you as well as my Beretta's, you will be pleased with it for years to come.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:27 PM   #3
triplebike

In the last 10 years I have owned 10 Beretta 9MM handguns. Three of those 10 were PX4's. I have fired well over 40,000 rds through these handguns. Some were purchased new, some used. I have never experienced any failure of any kind on any of these firearms. All were stock out of the box & the only thing I ever replaced was the recoil springs which was done approximately every 5-8 thousand rds as preventive maintenance. Unbelievable reliability. Enjoy your PX4.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:28 PM   #4
Uncle Malice

Congrats!

I like the design of the PX4. The one I tested had a pretty bad trigger. Very heavy and... 'sticky' I guess I would call it. Not gritty, but not smooth. I could have probably dealt with it, but I can do slide mounted controls. Ergonomics and aesthetics are good. Reliability seems to be good too.

Where are the pics?!

Also - could've just ordered the PPQ online. What a superb gun it is.
Old April 16, 2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Worc

Nice choice. I looked pretty hard at a PX4 when I was looking for a 9mm CC gun in DA/SA. I ended up with a HK P-30, but I liked the storm and recommend them to quite a few others. They are also priced pretty good and have good quality.
Old April 17, 2014, 06:25 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Also - could've just ordered the PPQ online. What a superb gun it is.
truth!

the thing i couldn't get over on the px4 was the small capacity for the huge size.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 17, 2014, 09:16 AM   #7
TailGator

Quote:
It handled really well, the softest shooting 9mm I have shot.
My daughter has the PX4 Compact in 9 mm, and I agree about it being the softest shooting 9 I have experienced.

Good pistol - I hope you continue to enjoy it.
Old April 17, 2014, 09:26 AM   #8
ScotchMan

I find the PX4 to be one of the most underrated pistols out there. I previously had a full-size .45 and currently have a compact 9mm. The trigger is just phenomenal.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member