The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 23, 2012, 12:13 AM   #26
zippy13

BigSkiff, happy to hear that you're back to the shotgun sports, enjoy. They can be enjoyed for a lifetime as long as you're reasonably able. Like you, I have a Beretta combo for trap. It takes a lot of trigger time with an entry target gun, like the Beretta, before it starts to hinder your progress and you're ready for a higher grade comp gun. There are those who get a fancy gun well before they have enough experience to evaluate the subtle differences offered by the high grade gun makers (for American trap, Perazzi catalogs 6 single barrel guns and 9 combos).
Old February 23, 2012, 01:28 AM   #27
olddrum1

Had a friend figure what he had spent on Trap guns before he bought his Perazzi. He could have bought two Perazzis for the money he was out trading up.
Old February 23, 2012, 01:55 AM   #28
zippy13

You may on to something, olddrum, my friend. I don't know if it can be substantiated, but there seems to be a lot more gun swapping among trap shooters than the other scattergun sports. You shoot a 98 and the guy next to you shoots a 99; and, pretty soon, you're asking about his gun. I suspect a lot of it is guys looking for a gun that fits instead of having the gun they already have fit to them. There are shooters who don't balk at having a new suit altered to fit their frame, but they expect a shotgun to fit them right outta the box.

Last edited by zippy13; February 23, 2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: tpyo
Old February 23, 2012, 02:49 AM   #29
TheKlawMan

In defense of Trap

I see a lot more young girls in tight shorts on the Trap line than the Skeet field. Unfortunately, they are always with their husbands or boyfriends but there is no harm looking.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:05 AM   #30
zippy13

Quote:
Unfortunately, they are always with their husbands or boyfriends...
Or, their fathers.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:18 AM   #31
BigSkiff

Thanks Zippy. Yup, I feel like a kid in a candy store again. I'm having a lot of fun with this and I find that the shotgun crowd at trap and skeet events to be a very congenial bunch of folks. They like to take the time to socialize and get to know each other a bit more than the guys at the pistol ranges do. I like the pace of the whole thing. It's been a really good experience.