The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 13, 2013, 12:48 PM   #1
pturner67

Happy Birthday...the project now starts

I bought myself a birthday present this past weekend, a beautiful new AR-15 stripped lower and a few Magpul Pmags.

The AR-15 build project has officially started and I am looking for advice on what to put into it. I had a very nice AR before and will probably repeat some of the same things I had in my last build.

Here's what my initial thoughts are for the lower:

- Magpul STR stock
- Spikes ST-T3 or ST-T2 buffer
- Geissele SSA or JP trigger

Suggestions/thoughts?
Old March 13, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Fishbed77

All are good choices. You might want to think about what the upper will be before you purchase the buffer. I have a Spikes ST-T2 buffer, and it's fantastic for my 16" carbine, but probably not as necessary for something like a mid-length upper, when something less expensive will probably work just as well.
Old March 13, 2013, 02:22 PM   #3
pturner67

Good point. I am sticking with mid-length gas impingement 16" or 18".

I had a 16" mid-length Spikes AR before with the ST-2 buffer and it was perfect. A gun guy I know recommended the ST-3 for mid-length as well.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
BillyJack3

I haven't run the T3 but I do run the T2 on my 14.5 pinned mid length with Spike's FA BCG. It also runs a pinned Spike's Dynacomp brake. It is soooooo smooth and has almost zero muzzle rise. It's a combo that works really well together. But yes, it is a bit concussive to those around me and you better beef up your ear pro!