The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 6, 2014, 08:03 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

My 300Blackout Journey Documentation Update -- LilGun 150gr

April 6, 2014 Update

Lately I have been wanting to come up with a good economical plinking load for the 150gr Hornady Bullets I have. The intent was to use a powder that I seem to always have access to through my good friend Jeff of JRS reloading along with the Hornady 150gr FMJ. I used the loading data out of the Hornady #9 reloading manual.

LilGun 16.4, COAL 2.062, Hornady 150gr FMJ.

The Hornady manual calls for a COAL of 2.220 this is the reason I have the COAL highlighted in red. At this length Hornady says the max load is 17gr. But I was uncomfortable with this load as the COAL had the 150gr bullet with very little bullet seated in the case. I decided to seat the bullet to it’s cannelure and reduce the max load. The deeper you seat the bullet the more overall and peak pressure is going to increase. Of course I worked up loads starting at 15.6.

What I really found interesting about this load is the fact that it seemed to have more noticeable recoil then other loads I have tested, but was definitely less indicated pressure upon examining the cases.

The Chronograph was 5 Yards away from the firing line.

Center 9 Shots measure 0.688 excluding the pulled shot caused by me. Accuracy was tested at 50 Yards. Happy with this load I decided to try and zero in my iron sites also. Those are the 5 shot groups on the upper and lower left targets.

To clear things up before the questions and skepticism come rolling in, my website is totally self funded (no advertisements at all) and I gain nothing from anyone visiting. I started this website many years ago to document experiences like this 300Blackout journey I have been on in an effort to give back and share this great sport/past time we all enjoy with others, along with providing unbiased reviews.

The complete journey can be found and followed here http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3460 with over 100 pictures including my first AR build and loads I have been tracking in my spreadsheet like the one included in this post. Stop by my website leave a comment and let me know what you think, I will continue to document this journey as I develop more loads and have recently gained access to additional rifles through great friendships.

Old April 7, 2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Mobuck

I bought 8# of LilGun for use with Hornady 110 and Speer 125 grain bullets. I'll be watching for some testing on those. Have a home made upper that shows promise with Hornady 110 Spire point and a NIB DPMS upper that I haven't shot yet waiting for nice weather.
Old April 7, 2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Ibmikey

I have shot Hornaday 110 grain loaded with W296 and have had good results, still tweaking though. Seems Li'l gun is non exsistant in NE Washington.
Old April 7, 2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Mr.RevolverGuy

Follow the journey here
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3460

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see all of the loads I have tested in spreadsheet format. 110's have been tested with Lilgun