The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 3, 2014, 07:39 AM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

Still waiting for pictures!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 3, 2014, 01:10 PM   #27
RickB

I'll try to get some pics.
Encouraged by my success with the ejector rod, I worked on the base pin, and got that out, too.
I ran a long punch through the loading gate and a chamber, which gave me a straight shot at the back of the oversized head of the basepin, and I was able to drive it off the frame. There is a small leaf spring set in the middle of the trough-shaped base pin, to retain the ejector rod, just as was described to me.
I was dreaming (literally, not just musing or daydreaming) about making a trigger guard, by tracing the outline on flat steel plate, then using a hacksaw, drill, files, and dremel to form it. Geez, this is getting serious . . .
Old March 10, 2014, 09:35 PM   #28
RickB

Not great pics, but there it is. The cylinder basepin is in the foreground, with the ejector rod behind it. You can see the ejector "crane" rotated out to about 4:00, which aligns the ejector with the chamber for ejection, and allows the basepin to be removed.
I think this may be about as far as I can go with any sort of "restoration"; without a trigger guard, the mechanism won't work.
After I get it cleaned-up a bit more, I'll probably shop for some 7th cavalry crossed sabers, maybe a moldy bullet or arrowhead, and put together a shadow box and hang it on the wall.

Old March 11, 2014, 07:15 PM   #29
James K
Staff

I think that with some luck and work, a trigger guard from a repro Colt percussion might work. I am thinking cut the front strap partly off, thin the top down and fill the holes. Then thin the top part and heat it enough to bend it to shape and make the bow bigger. Not perfect, but likely good enough for the display.

Jim
Old March 12, 2014, 01:04 PM   #30
RickB

I'm wondering how close the guard from a "Mark" Webley might be? The frames didn't change much between 1887-1920s. I have a Mk. I, and should check it out (don't know I didn't start there!).
Old March 14, 2014, 09:02 PM   #31
James K
Staff

Good idea if one can be found at a reasonable price.

Jim