The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2011, 03:51 PM   #1
dpease4

which is most important to do first?

Is it better to work out the best powder/bullet load for a rifle first and then work on the optimal seating depth? When starting with a new rifle in the past I have gotten the seating depth based on COAL and worked up powder/bullet data from there. Once satisfied with the load I then played with the seating depth. Getting ready to start with a new 308 Win and wondered if I have been doing it right or if better to start with the seating depth and then figure out the best load.
Old December 30, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
mrawesome22

Quote:
I used to reload, but it got really tedious eventually.

So my first choice was then to choose the best load for the big game animal, then match that to the caliber, then find out who makes premium factory ammo for it, and then just order factory loads from them.

I ultimately concluded that the .300 Rem Ultra Mag is the best.

And ammo for it is easy to get by mail order. I suppose the SOPs here do not want me to say where.

I know this does not answer your question, however I suspect someday you may burn out on reloading as well, and then you will want to know what to do next.
What the...

I generally put the bullet .030" off the rifling to start, work up a good powder charge, then tinker with the OAL from there. And this is assuming that all brass has been prepped and sorted.
Old December 30, 2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Kevin Rohrer

Most people who are picky w/ their seating depth tend to seat them .01" off the lands, as long as the bullet is seated to the depth of the diameter of the bullet, and leave it alone. So am guessing most of us (including me) default to that depth and then look for the right bullet and powder.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 30, 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
markdoddridge

I usually go in this order:

Find which powder/bullet/primer i want to use: For powder i choose whatever gives the best velocity but will also fill the whole case (i dont have a lockout die, and by doing this ive never had a double charge)

After that i work up a load for acuracy

I almost never play with seating depth cuz i seat everything so its almost touching the lands

FYI: My favorite powder for most .308 applications is IMR4895
Old December 30, 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
gonzoo75

I usually start with seating my bullet .02 of the lands. And start with the bullet after that. Then work on my powder and charge wieght. I usually set up a few rounds with various bullets of various wieghts. Trying to find which one my rifleing stabilizes the best. Which can be observed by the hole in the target. Then I start working my powder wieghts and primer combinations. Shooting five rounds of each combitaion for groups. Once I get that set. I play a little more with the seating depth. Like anything though I'm sure alot of us have various methods. There is always more then one way. If you find a method that works for you stick with it.
Old December 30, 2011, 06:55 PM   #6
jepp2

Have you ever read about the OCW?

Link
Old December 31, 2011, 10:12 AM   #7
dpease4

Thanks. Suggestions have been helpful.