The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 28, 2014, 02:44 AM   #1
JimmyR

CME Holsters vs Lobo Gun Leather

OK folks, I've been shopping around and looking at some different holsters, and have more or less narrowed it down to 2, and I want some feedback. This holster will be for my 3" S&W Model 65.

In the RED corner- a CME Papalote.

In the BLUE corner- a Lobo Gun Leather Model 1 Pancake.

Both look to be quality pieces, well made, and in a reasonable price range, and I see pros and cons to each one.

CME Pros:
Quick turnaround (4 Weeks or less)
Free Shipping
Easy to Order online
Overall cheaper price
ETA: eBay seller 100% positive feedback with 2000+ sales

CME Cons:
Questionable return policy and no warranty (see here)
Few design options
Very few online reviews (outside eBay).

Lobo Pros:
Well known and respected maker
Plenty of options to customize, by adding hammer shields/cross draw loops/thumb breaks/etc.
Return policy is clear, appears more flexible, and has 1 year warranty (see here)
Refuses to accept Gov orders from states with newly added gun control laws

Lobo Cons:
Slower turn around (mail payment, email ordering, etc), 7-8 week lead time.
Price starts climbing after an add on or two (If I go this route, I'll get the hammer shield and the cross draw beltloop cut) and shipping ($4.50).

Any suggestions you guys have between these two would be great. I don't think I can lose with either one, but maybe you guys can point out something I'm missing, or have experience with either of these holsters.
Old April 2, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
rayban

Sounds like you're mind massaging this one to the limit....it's a holster not a sports car.
First off, there's no such thing as free shipping, all ebayers who offer it bury it in the cost of the item.
About Lobo's wait period, he's busy.
Lobo's add ons.....they take more time and material to make, that's not a con either.
Lobo does quality work, I've handled plenty of it to know. I would recommend his holster over one you've never heard of.
Old April 4, 2014, 09:39 PM   #3
JimDandy

Never heard of either really. I'm actually fairly taken with Kramer Leather. They're based out of Tacoma Washington, and about on par (at least I think) with High Noon Holsters. Both of which I'd rate a touch above Milt Sparks,

Really to me the only difference between them I can tell is Kramer uses Chicago screws, not snaps. Other than that, it depends on which place is geographically closer I suppose.

Lobo's shoulder holster and belt option are both interesting, but for holsters I'd stick with Kramer (chicago screws) or High Noon (snaps). They just have more variety.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:41 PM   #4
JimmyR

Looking around some more, I actually remembered people speakign highly of Simply Rugged's holsters. Their Sourdough pancake with IWB straps might be a winner for me, so that I can carry IWB or OWB...

Tags
cme , holster , lobo gunleather