The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 25, 2014, 01:06 PM   #51
lostintheozone

I'll tread lightly as this conversation seems like it could quickly turn for the worse, but I tend to agree with James Pond in part. The courts and elections (i.e. actually getting off their butts and voting!) are a far more effective means of fighting laws like this. I'm not saying people should be a one issue voter, but 2A issues should be considered.

Any sort of violence as described would VERY quickly extinguish the already dwindling light of the second.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
SHE3PDOG is online now Report Post

I have a theory that many of those owners don't even vote. Of course it's just a theory but statistically only half the people actually vote so why would Connecticut be any different. I think actually voting would be preferable to going to jail.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:02 PM   #52
BullseyePrecision

As long as the gun owners stand their ground and stick together they won't be able to do anything.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:17 PM   #53
zxcvbob

Quote:
As long as the gun owners stand their ground and stick together they won't be able to do anything.
When you put it like that, it sounds hopeless.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:36 PM   #54
BullseyePrecision

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
The more they give in to the more that's taken away. So yeah if everyone isn't on the same page it kind of is hopeless. Some people say they are involved but don't vote or put any time in to save the thing they love.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:41 PM   #55
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob
Quote:
I think we may have some confusion as to who "they" are. Seems to me that what BP is saying is that "as long as gun owners stand their ground, they (the gov't) won't be able to do anything," not "they (gun owners) won't be able to do anything."
Old February 25, 2014, 03:02 PM   #56
BullseyePrecision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
I think we may have some confusion as to who "they" are. Seems to me that what BP is saying is that "as long as gun owners stand their ground, they (the gov't) won't be able to do anything," not "they (gun owners) won't be able to do anything."
Exactly
Old February 25, 2014, 03:09 PM   #57
zxcvbob

I know that. I'm not sure what "stick together" is supposed to mean.
Old February 25, 2014, 04:11 PM   #58
BullseyePrecision

All the owners that didn't register their weapons.. As long as the number that doesn't register stays large they will be fine. But if a few here and there start giving in, then the gun owners don't have as good of a chance.
Old February 25, 2014, 04:35 PM   #59
larryh1108

Quote:
All the owners that didn't register their weapons.. As long as the number that doesn't register stays large they will be fine. But if a few here and there start giving in, then the gun owners don't have as good of a chance.
Sounds good. Looks good on a computer screen. Now, if it was only that easy. I guess when a few hundred average guys like you and me get pulled over for speeding, running a yellow or stop sign or any number of harmless fouls and we end up facing multiple felonies, lose our houses and jobs defending ourselves and can never own a firearm again, well, it sounded great on the net, right? (see post 35).

The only way to turn the tide is by votes and the courts. Anyone who suggests civil war or any type of fighting with weapons really has no handle on life. This isn't 1776 and we aren't fighting rulers across the ocean. The "enemy" is our elected officials and the way to get them out is to vote them out. Yes, these next elections need to be single issue.

If the guy who is gun friendly happens to have an opposing view on gay rights then you need to stick to the gun issue this time and worry about the other issues further down the road. If we don't take back the house and senate and Obama gets his cronies into the Supreme Court, we may have waited too long. The time is now. We are done "compromising". It's time to let them know we are a much larger group than they think. The vocal minority has been the wheel that got the grease. We need to get squeaky and make them hear us by our votes. Bloodshed is such stupid talk that it make us look like the cretins they say we are.

Last edited by larryh1108; February 25, 2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:40 PM   #60
BullseyePrecision

How did you get bloodshed out of what I said about gun owners sticking together? sticking together also means voting together.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:55 PM   #61
larryh1108

The comment about using violence was not directed at you but to all those who have suggested it. The thing about email notification is you see the ones deleted. One you posted was pretty suggestive. However, there are more than a few who have called for violent resistance.
Old February 25, 2014, 05:57 PM   #62
BullseyePrecision

You just quoted my other post so obviously I would think it was meant for that one.
Old February 25, 2014, 06:11 PM   #63
larryh1108

Paragraph one did.

Once the new paragraph began, the original intent was changed. However, your deleted post was pretty specific. It was directed to all who said violence was an answer in this thread and the countless other ones that have been posted for quite some time.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:55 PM   #64
BullseyePrecision

If your just on here to argue no thank you sir.
Old February 28, 2014, 10:47 AM   #65
Grizz12

Tonight 9pm eastern, on "The Kelly File" (FOX news) she will be talking about everything going on in CT and the gun laws

Pass this on
Old March 1, 2014, 09:04 AM   #66
BullseyePrecision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz12 View Post
Tonight 9pm eastern, on "The Kelly File" (FOX news) she will be talking about everything going on in CT and the gun laws

Pass this on
Anyone watch this? They removed that segment from the show completely.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:07 AM   #67
Grizz12

Yeah I don't know what happened, maybe because of the Russian incident taking up so much time??
Old March 3, 2014, 10:44 AM   #68
Uncle Buck

I have been watching this as it develops and trying to follow everything is crazy.

(NOTE: I have removed the link I originally provided because after learning the background of the individual behind it, I will do nothing to promote him or his site)

I wonder how many people just do not care? I write to my congressmen every time I see one of these silly "Protect everyone from everything" bills.

I just wish more people would write and express their opinions. Too often we let $$$ influence our politicians desires and people who remain quiet give tacit approval to these types of laws.

The information published is readily available on line. You can find out who voted for what, which bills are going were and who is sponsoring them.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; March 4, 2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old March 3, 2014, 12:36 PM   #69
Tom Servo
Staff

Vanderboegh's windbaggery sometimes gets troublesome. Even if there's no law against publishing politicians' home addresses and pictures of their houses, it's irresponsible.

It's also worth noting that Vanderboegh has admitted (heck, bragged about it) to the illegal smuggling of banned magazines into Connecticut and other states in which they're illegal. He's been known for advocating illegal behavior from the safety of his armchair for quite some time.

Please do not act, or encourage anyone to act, on that man's advice.
Old March 3, 2014, 01:29 PM   #70
thallub

Quote:
Please do not act, or encourage anyone to act, on that man's advice.
Vanderboegh is bad news for those who value our Second Amendment rights. Gun owning folks in CT are mostly ignoring Vanderboegh and his rants; others from outside CT should too.

Vanderboegh claims to be a "three percenter"; what a joke. He is your average keyboard hawk ranting from the safety of his home in AL, nothing more.

Last edited by thallub; March 3, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old March 3, 2014, 05:43 PM   #71
ronl

I will offer another take on the situation as far as Vanderboegh is concerned; I do admire the man for standing up for what he believes. Civil disobedience has had its place in the history of our country for quite some time; most of you will recall learning about that Boston Tea Party affair that went on. More recently there was the ride that Rosa Parks took on the front of the bus. I think both above illustrations are very much appropriate, as they both deal with fundamental rights. In our Declaration of Independence, we are told by Jefferson that we have not only the right, but the duty to oppose the denial of our fundamental rights. All of us here on this forum had better soberly consider the ramifications of what is happening in CT. How far are you willing to go to protect your freedoms? Only you can answer that. I will go far out on a limb and make a bold prediction; if the good citizens of CT have their guns taken from them, then within one generation we will all have to deal with the same scenario. If we as a people have reached the point where we will allow our rights to be stripped for the hollow promise of security, then we will reap our reward. It is easy for all of us to sit in our comfortable chairs away from the fray and pass judgement, but as far as Vanderboegh is concerned, more power to him. His heart is in the right place.
Old March 3, 2014, 05:48 PM   #72
steve4102

It is my understanding that the names and addresses Mike Vanderboegh published were/are a matter of public record. He just put them all in one place that is easy for anyone to view. Nothing illegal or sinister about that.

Great Post Ronl.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:03 PM   #73
1stmar

I don't believe anyone will come door to door collecting weapons. It will be a passively enforced law not unlike the seat belt law was originally. If they pull you over and you have a weapon it will be checked and if it is unlawfully owned you will be a felon. Bottom line if enforcement officials have visibility to it you are at risk..... For now. These libs are smart enough to take baby steps, they get the laws passed and then over time they will be strictly enforced. If they move too quickly there will be resistance, if only from the media. But there lies the problem, the media needs to be our ally but unfortunately they are our opposition in too many cases. Their interest stops after the first amendment. While I'd love to fight this at the poles, I am destined to lose as I am out numbered and the only press we have paints a poor, unnecessary picture of the big black weapon.
Old March 5, 2014, 12:11 AM   #74
steve4102

Here is a press release from Connecticut Carry.
I basically tells the State to either Enforce It or Repeal It.

http://ctcarry.com/News/Release/4166...c-cfe7ce437c73
Old March 5, 2014, 01:09 AM   #75
Tom Servo
Staff

That's all well and good, but is Connecticut Carry going to represent the people in court who are unfortunate enough to get caught up in the rhetoric and suggestions to break the law?