The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old January 6, 2013, 10:59 AM   #26
karlb

I am envious of both of your grandfather's rifles. The choice would be hard for me. I love (and collect) old Mossy .22's, but the rifle I learned to shoot with was my dad's Remington 550-1. We would load it up with a mixture of shorts and long rifles, and it never skipped a beat.
Old January 6, 2013, 02:35 PM   #27
jal5

Not sure about the value of either gun in $$$ but in sentimental value for you and in connection to your family history I would say they are priceless. I own several of my uncle's rifles and pistols and one from my grandfather. There is no way I would part with any one of them. Keep them and enjoy them and hand them over to one of your children some day. Joe
Old January 6, 2013, 03:11 PM   #28
hodaka

Redraif, that will teach you to ask a bunch of gun nuts about which rifle to sell. Most of us regret the selling any in our past. Most of us will advise you to buy more!
Old January 7, 2013, 08:27 AM   #29
Picher

My preference is the Remington, though the Mossberg seems nice also. I agree that you should try to buy both, then at some point, you may want to sell one, if you don't like shooting it as much as the other.

The Mossberg may bring about $150-175 on a good day. The Remington might bring closer to $200.
Old January 7, 2013, 02:37 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

I agree. If those rifles were on the rack at a gun shop, the Remington would be at least $200, the Mossberg close to that. If at all possible, don't sell those guns; to your Grams, it would be like having your grandfather die all over again.

Jim
Old January 7, 2013, 03:45 PM   #31
redraif

Sadly though, from what I have been told, Grams has no attachment to them. Believe me....I'm trying to keep them even still.

I may just fib and tell mom I sold the second one and give her the $ for Grams. Still though with that prospect neither she nor Grams will give me a $ amount to pay her for the one I am allowed to keep. Ugh!

I really shouldn't have an attachment either as grandpa never even showed them to me, let alone, taught me how to use them. My dad taught me how to shoot on his pistols though. So at least it gave me the respect and desire for firearms. However he bailed when I went to college and never looked back. So I never did, nor ever will, get a gun from him. And I was too young when both of his parent passed, so no keep sakes there. When gramps passed I did not get anything to remember him with either, so maybe that's why I'm so HIGHLY compelled to keep them both.... even if I have to pay for them...
Old January 8, 2013, 02:09 PM   #32
johnjohn

Get both,shoot 'em,clean 'em,enjoy 'em. KEEP BOTH IN THE FAMILY!
Old January 9, 2013, 11:44 PM   #33
johnwilliamson062

I will agree with all the above that older 22s just aren't worth a lot of money.

If you have any interest in shooting I would keep them. I inherited a pistol from each of my grandfathers. Both pistols were in calibers I don't otherwise shoot and I sold them. No regrets there, but if they were in 22LR I never would have sold them. You can never have too many 22LRs IMO. In fact I am using the money to buy a 22LR version of one of them. Down the road I may buy the 380 ACP version of the other.

If you only want to keep one I recommend you go to walmart get a 550 round brick of 22lr and find a place to shoot them. See which one you shoot better and go from there.
Old January 10, 2013, 02:20 AM   #34
ben_raines

If you enjoy shooting, then I would say to keep them and pass them to another generation. I have my great-grandfathers 1884 Trapdoor Springfield, and still shoot and hunt with it. I honestly almost cried a little when my dad handed it to me and told me to 'hang on to it' about a year before he passed.

Your kids will be proud to own either of those rifles. But if you do end up selling them, look up the price in several locations, then add some sentimental value to them, and don't take the first offer
Old January 11, 2013, 12:51 AM   #35
TPAW

Is it possible to send more pic's..........
Keep them clean and lubricated and pass them down....
Old January 11, 2013, 09:02 AM   #36
BPowderkeg

Quote:
I have been tryjng to talk mom into letting me keep them both and paying gram for them. She all but told me there was no way she was allowing me to keep both.

how old are you ? if over 18 tell Mom to mind her own business and give G'ma the $150.00 each as suggested.., personally, i would love to have that Remington 550-1, i believe they are one of the best .22 Auto loaders ever made, and.., they are built like an Abrams tank.

on the Mossberg, the plastic trigger guard was one of it's down falls, i never liked it as did many other shooters of that era.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:51 AM   #37
BoogieMan

The thing is that you will never have the chance to share those guns with your grandfather again. Neither has big value to a broker but both are priceless to you. I hope you and Mom are able to work out a way for you to keep them.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2013, 02:54 PM   #38
mach1.3

My Dad had a Rem. 550-1 and it was my favorite rifle growing up. It was extremely accurate with it's 24" bbl. and iron sights. It's secret to chambering s,l,and lr ammo was it's floating chamber. It was extremely reliable and well put together. If you don't have the user manual you can buy one through Radocy. Just racking the bolt and dropping the trigger felt like closing the door of a Lexus. It didnt have a fancy stock, maybe walnut? but without checkering. I still have the gun and it's still clean and very functional. I saw one at our LGS listed at $250. I always liked the tube under the barrel v in the stock. I also have a Winchester M74 with the latter stock tube.

A friend of my Dad's had the Mossberg 151K---I remember the finger depressions in the pistol grip. As I recall, the Mossberg was also very accurate and reliable.

Keep both these rifles in the family--your sons will appreciate it.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:24 PM   #39
joyrock

I have an idea! Find a `friend' (somebody you trust (really trust)). Have them `buy' one, or both. They take them home. You go to house, and `buy' them from your friend. That way you will be telling the truth to your mom, and your gram. That's my two penny's. Oh, ya, welcome to the forum! PS: Both of them look good. I love old stuff.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:40 PM   #40
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The OP hasn't responded for a week; can update us as appropriate.
Closed Thread