The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Drummer101

First Shotgun tonight

I am going out to get a Beretta semi-auto 12ga with synthetic stock
it is the 3901 version with a 28 inch barrel.

Really excited and it is on sale right now for $579.

I have never owned a gas shotgun, what sort of oil/grease/lube should I use before I use it?

Last edited by Drummer101; May 16, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 03:27 PM   #2
oneounceload

CLEAN it first, getting all of the preservative. then follow the owner's manual. My Beretta A400 recommends oil only, no grease
Old May 16, 2011, 03:34 PM   #3
Drummer101

That is tonights project.

Any specific oil?
Old May 16, 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
oneounceload

Mine came with a bottle of "Beretta Oil" - looks like your basic CLP or Remoil. Your main concern will be understanding how to do a thorough cleaning - There are major differences between the 390, 391, and A400 series as they changed the gas system each time

For the barrel inside, I use the red can of brake cleaner and a brush on a rod in a cordless drill followed by a patch or three and use the oil in the gas area after wiping it down
Old May 16, 2011, 04:30 PM   #5
BigJimP

I like Break Free CLP as well ....

most any gun solvent will do the job - I know my buddy Oneounce likes brake cleaner ...and its fine in moderation - but be careful if you use that stuff...it might attack the finish on the barrel, etc... ( personally I use Shooters Choice shotgun and choke tube cleaner ) on the inside and outside of all my shotguns ( it won't hurt the finish on a wood stock either ).

http://www.shooters-choice.com/shotg...e_cleaner.html

Make sure you take the choke tube out of the barrel ...on new guns - you need to clean the threads inside the barrel real well / and on the choke itself ....and lube them to the point / where that choke tube will go in and out with just finger pressure ( put finger inside choke tube ) to screw it in and out ....and keep after it until it goes in and out real smoothly .....

On semi-autos / when I take the trigger group out of the gun ...I just spritz it really lightly with a light weight oil like Rem Oil ....but I use Break Free on all the rails, etc / barrel to receiver connection ...and all that.

And congratulations ..and have some fun with it ...
Old May 16, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
oneounceload

Just to clarify - the brake cleaner is only used on the inside of the barrels
Old May 16, 2011, 05:54 PM   #7
BigJimP

I hope most everyone knows that .... (my buddy OneOunce is just frugal ..) ...and it does work real well .....but I'm too sloppy to trust myself to use brake cleaner and not get it on the outside of the barrel or on the receiver or something ...and it would aggravate me ....
Old May 16, 2011, 05:58 PM   #8
BigJimP

I just read in June issue of Shotgun Sports today ....that mosquito repellant ....will attack the finish on many wood stocks....

I had no idea ....but editor relates a story in the current issue ...where a buddy ruined a finish on a new Perazzi ...because he didn't wipe it down after they were done shooting for the day ....

and another story on a Rem 1100 - where he intentionally sprayed the stock with Deep Woods Off ....and it took all the finish off it overnight.

I don't know what's in mosquito repellent ...but keep it away from your guns !!!
Old May 16, 2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Drummer101

Good info, thanks guys.

I just came home with the gun and it did not have any oil so it looks like I am going to have to get some tomorrow.

But tonight I am going to take it apart and see what I can do with it.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:41 PM   #10
Drummer101

I am trying to take out the bolt....

It is not working. I can not get the charging handle out.

I looked online and there is nothing I can find for the 3901.

Any help or links?

The manual was for a 390 and it does not seem to correlated.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Bucks Gun Shop

Drummer:

All you should have to do is to pull the charging handle straight out of the bolt... There is no magic to it... I of course assume that you have disassembled the shotgun by removing the magazine cap, forearm, misc. parts, and barrel... Then just pull straight out...

Hope it works for you...
Old May 16, 2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Drummer101

Its a no go

I kind of give up...

I am going to go to a gunsmith in town and fork over the money.

I have also been having issues with my 10/22 getting the screws out of the receiver so I am going to also ask about that.

Bummer

Last edited by Drummer101; May 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:34 AM   #13
Drummer101

Brought both of them to the gun smith. He showed me a few tricks for taking apart the beretta.

Hope to get that done sometime today.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:54 AM   #14
BigJimP

Good - glad you got a little help / but in a very short time - you'll realize how easy it is to strip those guns down.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:55 AM   #15
oneounceload

You might also want to download the owner's manual if you didn't get one as well. Besides the lawyer speak for the first half of it, it does have some good basic info on the gun and how operate/maintain it
Old May 17, 2011, 11:06 AM   #16
Drummer101

I did find something, http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=101242

But even it said that it would be really hard to pull out the charging handle (it said use pliers). Even the gun smith found it rather challenging.

But now that I have seen it done it makes me atleast feel better. Now I have to flip the safety at some point.

I do have the manual but it just said to pop it out, no indication on how tight it would be...
Old May 17, 2011, 11:18 AM   #17
oneounceload

If it becomes too loose, then it will go flying somewhere when you fire the gun - a friend, on his older 303, has a piece of bright orange survey tape on his handle for just that reason - makes it easier to find in the grass.....

Also - make sure to keep the gas ports clean, especially if you like to shoot light loads - some solvent, compressed air (I use the computer stuff with the straw) - good to go
Old May 19, 2011, 03:30 PM   #18
Drummer101

Used it for the first time

did one round of trap and one round of skeet (first time not doing normal hand throws...)

9 for trap
15 for skeet (I like skeet), the person pulling them gave a few pointers but when I used them I missed But then I did what I was going before and it felt natural and I was able to hit them. I even got some of the doubles!
Old May 19, 2011, 04:07 PM   #19
oneounceload

AWESOME!..get those basic games under your belt.......then I'll tempt you to come over to the dark side......SPORTING CLAYS.........