The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 31, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
deadcoyote

Just picked up a 1941 Enfield ROF

The rifle's in excellent condition, however it was arsenal refinished by the Brits. I paid $250 for it. I know arsenal rebuilds lose value to original, was this still a good price? most of the non-refinished enfields I see are in the $250-400 range and they have dark bores and are beat to death. Rifle comes out of gun-jail on 2-8, i'll try to post a picture then.
Old January 31, 2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Tikirocker

Nothing wrong with an FTR at all mate ... cars need a service every once in a while and it was the same with Lee Enfield battle rifles. Any movement in value is subjective and not all collectors and shooters are of the same mind about it. To me, FTR has zero bearing on the value of an Enfield.

Tiki.
Old January 31, 2011, 10:25 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

I knew about at least some of CA's insane handgun laws, but I didn't know they had a waiting period and license for old bolt actions. They are becoming crazier and crazier. They should lock up the whole legislature before any of them get hold of a gun and hurt someone.

Jim
Old January 31, 2011, 11:49 PM   #4
deadcoyote

Yeah, I cant recall when but I at least remember it was legal to do cash and carry on C&R firearms in CA as recently as the mid 90's. Its all been down hill from there. On a side note, my wife wants to move to New Zealand so I'm a bit nervous about their laws at the moment!
Old February 1, 2011, 10:01 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

If your rifle has seen little use since FTR it should be in very good or better condition. A FTR really does not effect the value of the rifle, it's all part of it's military history. Sounds like a nice rifle for the price.