The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 29, 2010, 08:09 PM   #1
zombieslayer

German 1917(?) bayo??

Got a few things in a trade at a gunshow today. The guy had a bayonnet that was really cool, and on a whim I took it as part of the deal. He said its a 1917 cutdown sawback for a 98. Its got a curved handguard on one side of the hilt. It also has a really wicked looking saw on the backside comprised of stagger rows of directional wedges. The thing is in really good shape, has a nice edge, and scabbard. The blaade is marked WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER A.G(or 6) CBERNDORFa.N
Any help would be appreciated. Can't upload pictures, but can Email if anyone has any info. Thanks
Old August 29, 2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Buzzcook

The sawback was a variation on the 1898 bayonet.

http://www.jjmilitaryantiques.com/ca...yType=bayogerm

Here's some pics.

Unfortunately cutting it down drops the value.

According to one source I read the German soldiers would grind the saw teeth down. The allies would kill a German for carrying such a nasty weapon. Or at least that is what I've heard. Considering how many sawbacks have survived in tact I tend to think it was just a story.

Welcome to the world of bayonet collecting. There are tons of those things out there and it doesn't take a truck load of money to get some nice steel toys.
Try to avoid bayonets that have been sharpened. If at all possible get a scabbard along with the bayonet. A frog also increases the value of the bayonet. That's the bit of leather that connects the scabbard to the belt.
Old August 29, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
USAF_Vet

http://psmilitaria.50megs.com/bayonets.html

check this list, pics and prices on it. might help ID what you've got.

Buzz beat me to the punch.

cutting it down drops the value (to some) but greatly adds to the history of the piece.
Old August 29, 2010, 11:28 PM   #4
zombieslayer

It doesn't appear to be "cutdown" upon looking at some others. It has a nice, unsharpened blade with no dings/chips. It looks like a 98/05 but doesn't have the lines cut into the wood handle. Oh- and on the backside of the blade under the saw portion there is what appears to be W L7 and a proof mark that looks like maybe a capital W with a crown on it. I can't find one exactly like it on the net but have seen many similar. Thanks for the responses. Yeah, bayonet collecting seems like a future hobby...
Old August 29, 2010, 11:55 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those bayonets were made and issued to cut logs for defensive cover and wood for general use. The Allies protested, mainly for propaganda purposes, but AFAIK never shot anyone for carrying them. Nice ones are scarce and always make for good tale telling.

The one picture seems to show the saw teeth cut down; in the originals, they are truly fierce looking. The guard also is turned the wrong way, probably when the bayonet was "restored"; the hook goes to the front, to capture the enemy's bayonet. (Ah, the days when war was considered romantic and people thought soldiers would actually engage in bayonet fighting in the middle of a battle! WWI took care of those silly ideas.)

In that picture, in fact, the scabbard also looks as it has been repaired (note the solder).

Jim

Jim