The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 11, 2011, 12:25 AM   #1
steeps09

1955 russian sks

I came across a russki sks in the gun shop the other day and it somehow decided that it was going home with me and ended in my truck. Its in good to real good condition with the bayonet attachment, the wood is in decent condition with a lil wear, which is normal. So I purchased the gun for 341, I was in the market for and sks so it left the store with me. So my question is, im thinking about sporterizing it. Mainly just a new synthetic stock, and im gonna keep the wood stock to put back on if I ever want to get rid of it. My question is, am I committing a sin by doing this?
Old January 11, 2011, 12:50 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

Quote:
am I committing a sin by doing this?

Absolutely!!!

You should have your right to buy a milsurp taken away!!!

PLEASE Go find some common Yugo to defile!!!

It's yours, do what you want, just keep all the parts you take off so you can return it to original. At least with an SKS, nothing is done in sporterizing it that can't be undone if you keep the parts.
I have a Norinco Paratrooper that I have Bubba'd up. Looks cool, but only takes me a few minutes to change the stock, dust cover, and a couple other things to have it original.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 11, 2011, 02:14 AM   #3
steeps09

Haha easy cheapshooter, I never said I was going to "bubba it up". Im still unsure on what I want to do with it. I really dont want to because the ruskis are a lil rare andthis one is in really good condition. I bought it bc it was such a good price, I would like to have a norinco or a yugo to "bubba" up I promise ya that.
Old January 11, 2011, 06:17 AM   #4
kadima

If you just swap the stock and don't modify anything else go for it!
Actually, if you use a syntetic stock at the firing range you may keep the original stock numbered to the rifle in better conditions. My 1951 unissued Tula Arsenal SKS got the stock all scratched where it meets my hearing protections...

K.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Haha easy cheapshooter, I never said I was going to "bubba it up". Im still unsure on what I want to do with it. I really dont want to because the ruskis are a lil rare andthis one is in really good condition. I bought it bc it was such a good price, I would like to have a norinco or a yugo to "bubba" up I promise ya that.
Hope you noticed my tongue firmly placed in my cheek when I wrote the first part of my post, and didn't skip the last part.
Old January 11, 2011, 11:37 AM   #6
egor20

I use a Russian SKS as a saddle rifle, haven't changed a thing on it and have shot quite a few deer with it.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 11, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7
musher

If you have to ask if you're committing a sin, you can be pretty sure you are!
Old January 11, 2011, 12:47 PM   #8
boatmonkey82

i own 3 sks 2 norincos plain jane and one yugo . all were in new condition with the packing straw still stuck n the cosmoline . the yugo has everything on it , down to the sling . i molested 1 norinco by putting a tapco 20 round and its a pain in the ass to speed load that clip . the factory mag and handfulls of stripper clips work like a dream. a sks thugged out is a wanna be ak47 . the sk will never be a ak or look bad ass . they are in my book great shooting guns in the orginal form . THEE ONLY thing you should do is the firing pin conversion . and be sure your firing pin is clean and moves free before firing it
Old January 11, 2011, 12:54 PM   #9
boatmonkey82

i take part of that back , i will buy the rear cover with scope rings for one and throw the tapco mag away and put the orginal back in . if you get some tannerite it will greatly reduce your ammo cost . i have 40lbs of tannerite and sunday we only used maybe 2lbs and 40 rounds maybe and spent all day destroying a mecury sable . you can almost load a factory mag , empty it and load it again before you can load the 20 rnd mag . and yes i fitted the stock for it
Old January 12, 2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Volucris

If you can't leave an unmolested historical firearm alone you should GET A DIFFERENT ****ING GUN and leave these items of history to those who can appreciate them for what they are.

People who sporterize historical firearms are the plastic surgeons and abortion doctors of the firearms world --pure scum.
Old January 12, 2011, 01:30 PM   #11
boatmonkey82

hey were can i get the lil laser grips for my colt peacemaker ? lmao and maybe a accy rail
Old January 12, 2011, 02:03 PM   #12
M4Sherman

I take offense to that Volucris...I think I will take a file to my yugo just to torture you :P . also plastic surgeons and abortion doctors have their place (ask someone who has been seriously maimed or a rape victim)
Old January 13, 2011, 01:29 AM   #13
steeps09

Volucris

I dont know why you got so worked up about this whole ordeal and started attacking doctors and what not. I never said I was drilling holes into it and bashing it with a hammer and filing down parts of the gun. The only thing I will be doing is changing the stock if I even decide to do that, so cool your jets. The only reason I want to change the stock is to keep the wood in good condition because I plan to actually use the gun instead of let it collect dust in some gun cabinet. So instead of throwing a fit in some online forum how about you go shoot some of your "antique" guns and get some use out of them instead of protecting them like ancient precious artifacts.
Old January 13, 2011, 02:37 AM   #14
troy_mclure

if you are gonna sportsterize it go all the way!

http://sgworks.com/
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 13, 2011, 02:07 PM   #15
doofus47

I think that museums have plenty already.
Personally, I like the "natural" look, but it's your rifle. Do what you want. That said, at least do some planning and measuring before you start hacking...
Old January 13, 2011, 02:33 PM   #16
Cheapshooter

This should never be done to such a classic, historically significant
firearm as one of the billions of these Chinese gems out there!
Especially considering it takes only a few minutes to take it back to out of the box stock without any signs of ever having been altered.
That is part of what make the SKS so much fun!
Old January 14, 2011, 11:49 PM   #17
steeps09

The ruski is not going to get sporterized. Went and got a yugo and it will be getting "bubba'd" up. So everyone can relax lol
Old January 15, 2011, 12:19 AM   #18
Cheapshooter

I think I've got an extra Yugo in the safe. Bought a couple of them back when they were under a hundred bucks. Think I'll take that Norinco paratrooper back to stock, and see how much of that junk will fit on one of the Yugos.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:31 AM   #19
steeps09

Cheapshooter

You cant tell me that gun photo in your post doesnt look good.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:26 AM   #20
Ignition Override

steeps09:
I'm still sort of new to buying milsurps. It's an incurable disease, and it's encouraging to read that lots of people leave the Russian SKS (and many other types) alone, or at least make no permanent changes.

You might one day realize how sad it is to see a number of Enfields on GB with messed up front/rear sights, or even the #5 Jungle Carbine's flash hiders.

A guy near the Memphis/Jackson area must usually attend more than ten/fourteen gun shows, or drive hours to find an LE #4 which is Not sporterized (wood and metal), never mind an authentic #5.
Being fortunate enough with timing, to go to my first good show Jan 1st, in Ft. Worth (on trip back from San Antonio) was a dream come true.
Old January 17, 2011, 01:08 PM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
You cant tell me that gun photo in your post doesnt look good.
Thanks. It was an example of what could be done with an SKS without permanently changing anything.
Just thought because I only have one in the paratrooper length, and two Yugos, Id put all the aftermarket parts that fit on one of the Yugos, and put the more rare paratrooper back to original.
Old January 17, 2011, 04:45 PM   #22
p99guy

One thing i learned really quick working for cheaper than dirt in the 1990's
during the time they had pallets of norincos...alot of the after market stuff they make for them is simply caca.....the oversize plastic magazines were one case in point...they did really bad things to a previously reliable rifle.

then there was "TMS" syndrome (too much ----) that the rifle was no longer handy, weighed as much as a squad auto weapon, and parts would fly off in several directions if you ever dropped it( its possible to TMS an M1 carbine too)

In my experiance, if it says Leapers on it....back away( Leapers must be chinese for fecal material) failed crosshairs, mounts that break because they are soft pot metal, or you have trouble getting it to fit....bipods that attach to the barrel and change the point of impact. We had quite a return pile back then. i didnt care so much what anybody wanted to do to a norinco,
but I did care about a customer having a reliable rifle, and ask for an honest
assessment of what they really needed....my answer was stripper clips..and more ammo to practice with. The chinese military 20 shot nonremovable mag was good when we had them.
Old January 18, 2011, 11:27 PM   #23
steeps09

As I stated earlier in the thread, the ruski is going too be kept original. I do cherish historical firearms so it would have been a sin to touch the ruski, especially since it was all matching numbers and in perfect condition. I recently found a yugo thate had already been butchered and not kept in good shape. So my plan is too actually restore it, clean it up and make it battle ready I guess you could say. The ruski is being sold too a buddy of mine who has his C & R license, and we have a custody deal where i can see it on the weekends lol. It was such a beautiful gun this was the only way he was gonna get it.