The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 23, 2015, 08:07 PM   #1
THeGAME101

First handgun - I guess I was born yesterday.

Hello everyone.
First post. Love the forum so far!

Need some advise..

Id been mulling over buying a handgun for a while and after some research decided on a 9mm. So I went to my local dealer, Federal Way Discount Guns, and took a look at their selection.

Being new to the firearm world, and not wanting to spend a whole bunch on something I wouldnt like, I took a look at their used inventory. After a few questions, and handling the weapon, I walked out of the shop with a Sig 2022 w/ a case and extra mag for $450. (Save the comments, it gets worse, lol)

Upon getting it home, I field strip it and its clean. But it feels kind of sticky. So I give it a thorough cleaning. I had to pick it up after work, and by the time I got home it was close to sun down. After I had put it all back together, I noticed the sights were glowing. This was my first tip something might be wrong. Nothing was listed anywhere before I bought it, and nothing was mentioned by the sales person about night sights included. In full dark, they are noticeable, and far less the more light.

It was then I started looking up the manufacturers date. Couldnt find it for a while. I hit the range using Magtech ammo. It was on sale, and I wanted to see how reliable the Sig was. Went through 150rds with no problems at all. The Sig was acurate both near and far. The Sig felt well used. Easy slide, easy Mag ejection, easy trigger pull. Felt good.

Got home and cleaned it again. Not sticky now. Looking at it more closely while the sun was out it looks great, inside and out. Of course there is warn finish in expected places, but its solid, no rattles, and so far has operated as expected for a first time user.

Now here is the issue.
The Sig was manufactured in 2008 Ive found. No mention of this on the showroom floor. Its old enough that the tritium is faded down enough that the sales persons that accepted it and sold it didnt know they were night sights. That being said, they actively sold me a firearm that was 7yrs old at near new price. So I dont recommend anyone go to this location unless they know what they are doing. Add the fact that the sales people are kinda douche bags. Anyway, Im not disappointed in the Sig at this point. Just the price I paid for it.

But I do have some concerns.
Assuming that everything in the Sig is factory, besides the fading night sights, what else is worn out that feels good to me, but might make it blow up in my face, lol.

It has the plastic guide rod. Ill have to take a better look at that.

Ill assume its got the factory recoil spring as well. It looks faded, kinda white-ish, and its easy to remove.

Knowing you have just bought a 7yr old Sig, what would be your concerns with how it operates? Im a big "If it aint broke, dont fix it" proponent. As I said it feels real good in my inexperienced hands. But after reading, what are the first things you replace?

Thanks for reading!
Have a good one!
Old June 23, 2015, 08:13 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

LOL, I have a first generation glock from 1989, and it rivals the best of today's guns, so don't worry about the actual age too much. Just condition.
Since it's your first, don't worry so much about the night sights fading.
In fact paint them black and learn iron sights basics before trying to shoot in the dark!

450.00 from local gun shop is about what to expect even for a used gun.
Heck, I've seen many old guns go for way more than new gun prices!
Old June 23, 2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Uncle Malice

I wouldn't worry about it much. If the gun is in good condition, it's not uncommon for a local shop to sell it at near what you could buy it for new online. Used guns don't depreciate THAT much unless they are really abused.

I wouldn't worry about it all. It's a good design. Go shoot it.
Old June 23, 2015, 08:23 PM   #4
cslinger

First don't sweat the small stuff. Guns don't have a shelf life. 7 years old is nothing. Some of my favorite guns I own we're made long before I was.

Nothing is going to go bad and cause some kind of catastrophic explosion. If you start to experience malfunctions a cheap recoil and magazine spring swap and you are good to go. Trust me that gun will run for a lot of rounds for a long time.

Night sights are not visible in lighted conditions. I am sure yours are probably starting to fade but probably have a few good years in them. When they fade the sights are still perfectly useable, just lacking the night glow. Effectively becoming standard 3 dot sights. They are easy enough to replace should you desire.

If you like the gun and it shoots straight and reliable you will long forget the price to purchase. SIG makes very good, very robust guns. I have no doubt yours will continue that tradition.

So again. You got a good gun. Don't sweat it. Enjoy it. Now do your part to wear it out.
Old June 23, 2015, 08:24 PM   #5
THeGAME101

Thanks for the quick reply HVR, guys.

Not too worried about the night sights. I slapped a laser I had tuned to my Walther/HK MP5 22lr, and it was spot on. Night sights are pretty cool, but at the price, not my first replacement.

More worried about the spring or the guide rod breaking, or limiting the performance. My daughter wants to go shooting with me, so there is added concern of something failing there too.

In the end, The replacement parts for minor items are pretty cheap. So should I just go ahead and replace them? Or should I just enjoy what Im getting out of the Sig until I cant? After all, newer parts may give the Sig better performance feel and accuracy. Or they may make it feel like crap, lol..
Old June 23, 2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking your question

I hear you about the pricing. If it was a new price on an old gun, I would b a little miffed, but the value of the gun is the value of the gun. Some guns go up in value, particularly if there have been design changes that some people do not like. Take a look at Pre-Lock Smith & Wessons. 70 Series Colt 1911s.

So, I feel I will disagree with your dissatisfaction. Seven years old? Guns don't age like cars or people do. I have some guns that are as good (and valuable) as they were 35 years ago.

Now, if the wear from those seven years is an issue (or the age of those glow-in-the-dark sights that are near the end of their brightest tenure), those should have been reflected in the price. And perhaps they were. Are Sigs particularly dear in your area?

So, if you are too disenchanted, perhaps the store has a return policy?

As far as the seller is concerned, they didn't HIDE anything from you. They just didn't disclose. (And perhaps they never bothered to check the manufacture/shipping dates) I am sorely disappointed that you got a dirty gun. Sticky residue? Shame on them.

If I were able to sell my experiences for what the cost me, I would be a wealthy man (but poorer for the loss of the wisdom thus gained). Count this a lesson that cost you $450, but gained you a well-working gun and a bit of practical understanding of "caveat emptor".

The sticky, unclean nature of the gun and the faded night sights (a $72 option by MSRP) could have been bargaining points in your favor. Use such details on your next purchase.

Good luck. I think you got off easy, but my opinion is not what matters. I expect the smooth operation of the gun will win you over and you will come to love this thing.

Lost Sheep

p.s. One review I just read on this model complained about a lousy trigger pull. Was there any evidence that the previous owner had any gunsmith tuning done to the action?

edit: Jeez. I gotta learn to type faster. When I started this post there were no others. Now 4 people beat me to the answer.
Old June 23, 2015, 08:32 PM   #7
cslinger

If it ain't broke don't go fixing it until it is.

Might want to pick some springs up to have on hand but truly don't worry about. They are not going to increase performance etc. The guide rod will still be cluttering up a junk yard after we are all long decomposed. If it does break the gun stops working/cycling. It's not going to hurt anybody. Your daughter has more to fear from your inevitable foul language IF it breaks.
Old June 23, 2015, 08:34 PM   #8
cslinger

I always felt the SIG PROs had really good, smooth double action pulls all the way back.
Old June 23, 2015, 08:45 PM   #9
THeGAME101

Goat dude -
No, I dont see anything that suggests any modifications. But heck, I cant even tell you if the barrel has been replaced at some point.

The SA is supposed to be at 4lbs, the DA at 10.
(Thanks for the correction Bill!!)

However, I didnt notice it being that firm. Ive only really used it for 150rds and a few dry pulls.. The DA does have a lot of travel time, as it was meant to be for safety I guess because there is no safety switch on this Sig. But the pull was no where near that hard. After that, the travel and pull on the SA is awesome.
(Thanks Bill!)

Thats another thing that raised my concerns about this Sig. The reviews. But its almost like they were reviewing a different handgun. This thing has 7yrs of usage, and it feels broken in. So a lot of what you can find about it are from newer models out of the box and first time users. Wish some people would revisit some times, lol.

All in all, you guys have made me feel better about my purchase. Brand new ones go for around the same price is what got my heckles up.

However, Ive got a 2000 Jeep Wrangler that requires a lot of attention. It doesnt fire bullets. So I just want to make sure the Sig safe and prudent to fire.

Last edited by THeGAME101; June 23, 2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Incorrect information.
Old June 23, 2015, 09:21 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

I'm quite sure you have the terms "SA & DA" mixed up.
There should be nothing that you need to replace on the gun. Just shoot it and enjoy it.
Old June 23, 2015, 09:57 PM   #11
THeGAME101

Bill..
I dont think so.

Double action works to cock the Sig when the slide has been pulled and its been decocked with the lever after loading.

Single works anytime you pull the slide and it hasnt been decocked or after you pull the trigger in double action.

Please correct if wrong.
Thanks!
Old June 23, 2015, 10:01 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

Double action pull will always be heavier than single action.
Old June 23, 2015, 10:05 PM   #13
THeGAME101

DOH!!
I did say that didnt I..
You are correct.

DA is 10
SA is 4.

Will correct!
Thanks!

Will shoot and enjoy!
Old June 23, 2015, 11:13 PM   #14
Cosmodragoon

I've got guns older than I am and most are in better condition too!

It sounds like your new used gun is performing adequately and a close inspection hasn't revealed anything terribly wrong. The recommendation to pick up some replacement parts isn't a bad idea. I sometimes do that with brand new guns when I think of it, just because it's nice not to have to fiddle around if something breaks.

As far as safety goes, welcome to the world of SA/DA. Manual safeties are for the birds (or the cocked-and-locked guys at least). You can use the handy decocking lever to practice your double-action shooting until you are comfortable with it. Some people knock it but I find a sort of beauty to just the barrier of a heavy pull opening into smooth single-action shooting. It's how I carry when I'm carrying a semi-automatic.

Back to age, I sometimes wear a 1960s-era K-frame when I know I'll be stopping by the range on my way home. It's fun to shoot, feels classic in a shoulder holster, and has been every bit as reliable as my modern stuff.
Old June 23, 2015, 11:29 PM   #15
BigMikey76

I wouldn't worry too much about the age. 7 years is really nothing. The springs ought to be fine, and there is nothing wrong with a plastic guide rod. Shoot it and have fun.
Old June 24, 2015, 12:55 AM   #16
rtpzwms

It sounds like you found a nice pistol. I have a Luger made in 1917 that still finds its way to the range. Its a nice shooter and is still going strong. Don't worry about age of a firearm if its well maintained its fine. You could contact Sig they had a program that they would recondition any of their firearms for a flat fee. That may offer you piece of mind. As far as your daughter wanting to go shooting with dad take her! My daughter went with me years ago and now one of my granddaughter goes with grandpa. We only have 3 members of the family that don't shoot and the oldest of them is just turned 3!
Old June 24, 2015, 01:02 AM   #17
HBoswell

One thing you might check on which might make you feel better about the purchase price. Does your Sig have 3 matching serial numbers? One on the barrel, one on the slide and one on the frame in front of the trigger guard. If that is the case, then the entire gun was made in Germany and holds a bit more value than the later models which were made here using some German parts and domestic frames.
Old June 24, 2015, 01:36 AM   #18
Husqvarn

the problem with used is just that, THEY ARE USES! so you dont know how much use it has seen, parts get worn. Unless the warranty follows the gun there can be some down time and costs.

A new Sig SP2022 9mm goes for $435.99 at Impacts Guns

You don´t pay factory sticker price on a used car, why would you do that on a gun??
Some of the comments here dont make any sense.
Old June 24, 2015, 01:55 AM   #19
OnTheFly

The age of a firearm does not directly correlate to its condition or state of wear.

Only the round count will tell you how worn out it may be. Other than that, noticeable neglect such as oxidation, internally or externally, might tell you how well it was cared fore. Regarding it being dangerous, don't worry about that. Guns blow up in peoples hands because of over pressure rounds, blocked barrels, squib loads, lack of de-leading the barrel, etc. Not because it gets used a lot. Long before a modern barrel will fail with standard rounds, it will become inaccurate due to worn rifling, or damaged crown.

Shoot it, and enjoy it. Especially since you paid so much for it.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old June 24, 2015, 02:37 AM   #20
johnwilliamson062

I made a few bad purchases price wise getting started. I made a few I thought were bad, but really weren't. I've made a few good buys and sell since, but I still occasionally get emotional and pay more than I should. I usually learn enough from each exchange I don't cry over the few extra dollars one way or the other.

The vast majority of the firearms that have passed through my hands were more than 7 years old. Probably most more than 70. No worries.

There are lots of people who automatically replace those cheap parts on a used gun. You can order them and try them out and see which you like. If they fail in the future you would then have them on hand if you decide you like the worn in parts better.
Old June 24, 2015, 06:26 AM   #21
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by THeGAME101
Brand new ones go for around the same price is what got my heckles up.
They obviously have the internet where you are, you're on this forum!

It would seem that you did no research at all before you bought the pistol.

Just typing "SIG 2022" into Google gives you a page full of prices and places wanting to sell you a new 2022.

You would think that in the thousands of years that people have been buying and selling things, someone would have come up with a phrase or saying applicable to this situation.

If for nothing other than saving wear and tear on your heckles, you may want to look up the definition of "'Caveat Emptor" - it's been around for a while!
Old June 24, 2015, 06:37 AM   #22
FrankenMauser

It was a used pistol. Seven years is insignificant, really.

If it looks decent and functions well, don't worry about it.

I have semi-autos dating back to 1936, and other firearms dating back to at least 1905.

On the flip side .... the wear and tear side .... I have a Browning Buckmark with 129,000 rounds through it (solely in my family's hands). It may be 30 years old, but it looks lightly used. ...Because I take care of it and maintain it well.
If I sold that Buckmark to someone, I wouldn't even bother mentioning its round count. It would scare most people, unnecessarily. It still has enough life in it to outlive the average gun owner ten times over, and may even still be going strong when I kick the bucket.

Quality and condition are far more important than actual age.
Old June 24, 2015, 07:50 AM   #23
lee n. field

Quote:
Now here is the issue.
The Sig was manufactured in 2008 Ive found. No mention of this on the showroom floor.
"New, old stock", is not a problem. It's not as if SIG is not going to support it.

If it's used, sold as new, that's a problem, and ethical lapse by the seller.

If it was sold as used, and you didn't notice it, that's your problem.

Anyway, it's used now, so there's not much point in examining it for signs of prior use.

Quote:
It has the plastic guide rod. Ill have to take a better look at that.
I have a couple pistols with plastic guide rods. It is not a problem. Resist the temptation to replace it with a metal guide rod.

Quote:
Knowing you have just bought a 7yr old Sig, what would be your concerns with how it operates?
I would have no concerns. Nothing about a gun like that is going to deteriorate from just sitting there. Congealed oil, maybe, but it should be cleaned and lubed per the manual before shooting it the first time, anyway.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 24, 2015, 08:30 AM   #24
JeffK

Quote:
It would seem that you did no research at all before you bought the pistol.
That's what I'm reading too. If you had gone home after looking at it, and done your research then, you would know as much about it as you do now (including what tritium sights look like) but be in a position to make an offer for a price you'd be happier with. But as others point out, 7 years by itself means nothing except with respect to the tritium sights - and if you dig some more, you'll find that 7 years is about half of a half-life, so the sights were only a little bit brighter when it was new than they are now. I hope you weren't expecting backwards-pointing laser beams, they are supposed to be very faint in light and only really noticeable when it's dark.
Old June 24, 2015, 09:13 AM   #25
jmhyer

Good purchase. So you didn't get a screaming good deal...it's no matter. Now you know. Oh, and go price extra mags for the SP2022...not cheap. And you got a case, too? $450 out the door is not terrible for a gun that you clearly like and enjoy shooting. If you'd ordered one online, you would have likely pain extra for shipping and an FFL P transfer fee...easily another $20-40. With good care, it'll live and function long after you're gone. And I think they're still sold with the plastic guide rod ...which I've felt no need to replace in mine. The "whitish" looking spring is also normal and likely is the factory original. No worries. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jmhyer; June 24, 2015 at 09:39 AM.

Tags
sig2022 used