The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 25, 2013, 07:21 PM   #26
Bluestarlizzard

Quote:
So would you guys pass on a an as NIB, leave/save it for the collectorrder and then wait on a "regular" that might be cheaper? I mean a box and papers would pay for a good bit of ammo. I mean, if I buy, I'm shooting it also...
I would say if you find a NIB that's the better deal then an ex safe queen or someones shooter, go ahead, buy and shoot it. Other then that, wait and find the shooter, rather then spend the extra when you're not going to benifit from it.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:24 PM   #27
jmr40

Very, very few guns are true collectables that would have the value significantly reduced by firing. Almost any gun that has been used lightly will bring virtually the same as one that has never been fired.

There are a few exceptions, but not many.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:24 PM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
I used to pack a S&W Registered Magnum as my carry piece. How's THAT for using a collectible?
This 1926 third model S&W made in 1930 was easy 95% or better when I got it. I'd say closer to 98.

Old June 25, 2013, 08:27 PM   #29
David13

No. Not at all.
dc
Old June 25, 2013, 09:13 PM   #30
Sharpsdressed Man

It makes me feel EXTRA special when I shoot a rare, valuable, or otherwise hard-to-get gun. You only go around once, so treat yourself to the best.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:25 PM   #31
alex0535

I shot a 101 year old 1911 U.S Navy Colt with a 4 digit serial number before we fully realized it's rarity. Only fired 3 rounds. It preformed flawlessly.

The popular idea is that this example is so old and rare, and they did not have the best heat treatment that shooting them is not advised. It might survive a few rounds or it might survive thousands, but when it breaks its value drops to a small fraction of what it was worth before. Other rare examples probably demand a similar train of thought.

I will probably go my entire life and not shoot an older or rarer 1911, and I think I can be ok with that. Nothing like holding a loaded century old piece of Colt/WW1 Navy history in your hands, pulling the trigger and putting all 3 round on target.

We do not own any guns we have not shot. Does that answer your question about my thoughts on NIB/Never Fired?
Old June 25, 2013, 09:41 PM   #32
imabmwnut

Nope
Old June 25, 2013, 10:30 PM   #33
myusername

OK - here's a specific.

Would you shoot a Winchester 94 "Golden Spike" commemerative (gold plated) from the 70's?

I paid $500 for it nib but without the "spike" that was included with some.

But a New Winchester 1894 .30-30 costs over $1,100 (Buds).

I'm somewhat inclined to just have myself a gold plated deer rifle!

What would you do?
Old June 25, 2013, 10:56 PM   #34
alex0535

^It will be worth a couple hundred dollars less if you shoot it. You might find someone to pay 600-700 for it unfired NIB.

If you ever plan to sell it, might be in your better interest not to shoot it. If you plan to keep it for the foreseeable future and are fine with a 200 dollar drop in value then go out and shoot it.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:15 PM   #35
KyJim

I generally believe in shooting my guns. I do have some that are more "safe queens" than anything else simply because I have other guns. I bought two previously owned but unfired Colt Detective Specials with Colt letters that remain unfired. I just haven't overcome fear of the big KaChing! its going to cost me if I pull the triggers. Plus, I have a Colt Cobra and a Colt Agent to carry and shoot.

They're not to everyone's taste:

Old June 25, 2013, 11:24 PM   #36
Tad_T

I don't sell my guns.

I don't trade my guns.

I shoot them.

I clean them.

I take care of them.

Someone else can worry about what they are worth when I am gone.
Old June 25, 2013, 11:37 PM   #37
montanaoffroader

Quote:
Would you shoot a Winchester 94 "Golden Spike" commemerative (gold plated) from the 70's?
Yes I would. I currently own a gold plated Centennial 66, it will be fired. Just a matter of time............
Old June 26, 2013, 01:03 AM   #38
mrt949

25 years ago I owned a S&W 19-5 in mint condition. FIRED it and sold it .Didn't feel bad at all.
Old June 26, 2013, 01:36 AM   #39
FrankenMauser

I own a semi-auto handgun that was #8 off the assembly line for public consumption, from what turned out to be a very short production run. I have shot it plenty, done some 'garage gunsmithing', and it still retains its value.

I own a Ruger that was #38 off the assembly line for the model. I shoot it regularly. It is now (used) worth almost twice what I paid for it in 2010 (NIB).

I used to own a factory prototype Mossberg. I shot it regularly, did a quick refinish on it, and still traded it off for nineteen times the value of what I originally paid.

If you know the market for the firearm in question and don't overpay to begin with, firing it may not matter at all....

Either way-
Buy what you want. Don't worry about what it might potentially be worth to someone else in the future. What's it worth to you?
Old June 26, 2013, 05:31 AM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

I buy my guns to shoot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:40 AM   #41
thedudeabides

Nope.

Guns are meant to be shot.
Old June 26, 2013, 06:14 AM   #42
Magnum Wheel Man

My 1st ( now the MRS uses it ) CASS rifle was a pre safety limited edition Rossi fully engraved, saddle ring, special wood, lever carbine in 38 / 357... had a couple handling dings, but the action was still unfired crisp... it really doesn't have any more dings, after a year of CASS, but has now slicked up nicely... I paid less for it than for another comparable rifle, so I felt no guilt using it... my ( new ) CASS rifle is a newer model stainless & brass lever gun in 45 Colt... I'm pretty sure that one was unfired as well, ( as the firing pin was defective ) but that one shoots nice now, after it's been repaired...

honestly I'd shoot the golden spike, in conditions that wouldn't damage the rifle, I see that all the time, they make so many commemorative lever guns, it's unlikely any will ever be worth more than the base gun in good shape... at least within the owners life time... same could be said for some revolvers... I also have a NAA Mini "snake eyes" edition, with the case, cards & poker chips... I actually have shot the gun enough, that I often carry it on my poker nights, or to other formal functions, where the tiny gun slips nicely into a pocket...
Old June 26, 2013, 07:56 AM   #43
rodfac

I have one and only one "Safe Queen"...it's a 1931 vintage 1903 Springfield National Match, complete with O'hare sight covers, the Star gage report, and the sales receipt from Camp Perry to the original owner. It's been scrutinized by a number of high end collectors as 99% condition...as good as they get....

That said, I took the old girl back to Camp Perry in 2006, exactly 75 yrs after its last appearance there, and used it to shoot the Springfield match...I silver medaled with it, and also managed to shoot 92 at 600 yds the day before during the sight in practice. I nearly missed the Springfield Match after I'd taken it over to the Marine's team trailer to see if they would touch up the trigger for me. Getting it back out of their hands was a chore and a compliment to their respect for a great rifle.

That was the last time it's been fired...and will remain so, til my boys get it. Just holding that old musket is an experience, let alone shooting it. It was a boyhood dream to own one, and I was extremely lucky to find it, almost 20 years ago...and for the princely sum of $1600 it was mine. I've been offered a lot more since, but it'd be the last rifle to leave my house.

There's collecting, and then there's Collecting...I'm in the business of Collecting memories, shooting memories, and that ancient '03 is one of them.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 26, 2013, 08:03 AM   #44
PzGren

The difference in between a good and a bad performing gun will be lost on the poor wretch that does not use the gun for the intended purpose: to shoot it.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:31 AM   #45
Grant D

myusername...
I bought a "Golden Spike" a few years ago for $375.00 used,and now I see used ones going for $600.00 or $700.00
I use mine for hog hunting.
But If mine had been NIB I would'nt have shot it.
And you can always find a used 94 to shoot.
Old June 26, 2013, 10:48 AM   #46
seeker073180

I agree. I agree. Buy 'em to shoot 'em. So, S&W Model 28 or 15; or Browning HP?
Old June 26, 2013, 11:17 AM   #47
Ibmikey

My idea on any firearm that I own is to shoot it, quite a few "collector" guns are in the stable. Upon research I found one of my pistols has a logo placing it in a shipment of 500 guns to Nazi Germany "the where abouts of this order is unknown" And like new condition....I shot it before it was placed with other WWII collectables. Firearms were made to be fired and most made well enough to fire 100 years later so let em' do what they were made for. As I said "my idea".
Old June 26, 2013, 11:35 AM   #48
Winchester_73

Wow, so based on this thread I have been doing it wrong all along.

Truth be known, approx 50% of my guns are unfired by me, and at least 25% of my collection being unfired by me is on purpose. I have 2 that are truly unfired, by anyone. I guess you guys would have a field day with my guns. Some of them are hard to find ammo for though, so you may have trouble shooting all of them.

A little about me: when I got into guns, my wife imposed a strict gun budget on me. Only X amount, X often, and if I had no money, I either had to work OT to have the gun stuff, or I had to sell something. When you have a budget, you make decisions due to that budget. I decided then to be frugal with my guns, and look at them more as investments than simple tools. I would rather sell a gun for $400 that I paid $300 for at that time, than pay $400, and sell for $200 to buy something else I wanted. I started off being careful about all of that, just so that I could have guns, and afford what I wanted. Years later, my wife and I's finances changed, and so now I really don't have to sell to buy what I want, but, I still do at times. My point is that being frugal about this stuff (Within reason) and not wasting any money on this stuff, in any way, became a habit with me, and I've adapted everything else to that. I do often buy guns just to shoot them, but I also often buy guns just for collecting. I feel like I have the best of both world's in a way, and so I never long to shoot something that I bought as a collectible firearm.

Here is a question for you all: do you guys think that *I* should feel guilty or weird for not shooting so many of my guns? Or do you think that since I have a healthy rotation of shooters, that is enough?
Old June 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #49
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Guilt is a silly word to use when talking about using a firearm.

Guilt implies that you've done something morally wrong. Whether you do or do not shoot a gun, it really can not be morally "wrong".

Now, I might feel *foolish* if I shot a gun that was worth $X and made it worth $1/2X by shooting it but I certainly wouldn't feel "guilty". There is absolutely no moral consideration whatsoever.
Old June 26, 2013, 11:45 AM   #50
Hawg

Quote:
Here is a question for you all: do you guys think that *I* should feel guilty or weird for not shooting so many of my guns? Or do you think that since I have a healthy rotation of shooters, that is enough?
I cant answer for you but if it were me I would feel sick and disgusted. I may be an extremist but guns were made to be fired. To not do so and keep them locked away never to feel the heat of combustion should be a crime.