The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 10:21 AM   #1
warbirdlover

Question on triggers

In your opinion, which pistol has the best trigger from the factory. Skip 1911's as I want one with more magazine capacity and I already know how good the trigger is on my brother's Colt Gold Cup.

Thanks for your help.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:51 AM   #2
AK103K

I think if you spend some quality time with any of them, youre going to find that you dont have any troubles shooting any of them as they come out of the box. Pick what turns you on, and have at it.

SA only shooters seem to have the most troubles understanding this. Then again, they only have SA only muscles and tone.

Learn to shoot a stock DA revolver, DAO, and I can pretty much guarantee, youll be able to shoot pretty much anything you pick up, with no troubles at all.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Sevens

Great trigger right out of the box, but not a 1911, must be a double stack.

I'll go with Tanfoglio Wintess Elite Match. (imported, advertised and branded as EAA)

Available in 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, 10mm and .45 Auto.
NOT to be confused with the base Witness line. All the Witness models UNDER the Elite Match are DA/SA guns. The Elite Match is single action only, and is the lowest of the "custom" line from Tanfoglio which either offers or has offered the levels beyond including the Silver Team, Gold Team, Hunter and more I've forgotten.

MSRP on the Elite Match runs around $670 and the trigger is terrific.

Not a good carry gun, it's large and heavy.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
wbw

I'm with sevens on this one; Witness Elite Match and probably any of the higher level Witnesses. My Elite Match has the best trigger of all of my semi-autos.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Nathan

Really, the 1911 is in a different class. It's trigger was meant to be a good trigger. I think if someone really mastered the tolerances and angles, they could all be good OOTB.

With a good smith, Ruger SA revolvers can be as good. Mine is close, but has a touch of creep.

S&W revolvers from the 70's like my 19-3 have good SA pull and ok DA pull OOTB.

XD's are definately good, but not like a 1911.

To me, Glock's are a small step down from XD's. Lot's of parts. Maybe perfection is available with a little money.

IMO, with some real technique study, dry fire practice and range time most stock triggers these days can be usable to 15 yards with great accuracy and 25 yards with combat accuracy.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:24 PM   #6
geetarman

Quote:
To me, Glock's are a small step down from XD's.
I have an XDM and really don't like the trigger much. I have not done anything with it. I have 3 Glocks. Two have a 3.5 lb. disconnector and the G30 is stock.

I like those triggers better than the XDM. . .but not by a lot. The stock triggers on both brands seems to be a tossup.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 9, 2012, 12:56 PM   #7
jmstr

The company that seems to have the best rep for 'out of the box' trigger quality is Sig-Sauer. For increased capacity, look into the P226 or P229.

There are a lot of good pistols out there, but Sig seems to always provide the best 'feel' to me when I am dry-firing at the LGS to see what I can' buy next.

I have a sig, but I have a LOT more of other guns. I think the Sig has the best trigger for a non-1911.

Now, I am actually more accurate with almost all of my other semi-autos, but the Sig has a SWEET, smooth trigger.
Old September 9, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8
ms6852

Try the Walther PPQ in 9mm or 40 cal. My walther measured just under 5lbs trigger pull.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:24 PM   #9
farmerboy

Not that their aren't better but a Glock with maybe $17.00 gets you a 3.5# or a 2.0# connector and comp spring kit and it too me is awesome.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Mystro

Sig Sauer P226 or P229. They are smoooth.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:20 PM   #11
farmerboy

Smooth, light, crisp whatever. I seen people get use to whatever with lots of practice. I seen someone shoot a NY trigger awesome. Whatever you get or got just practice up a storm and you'll be proficient.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #12
Sevens

Quote:
Whatever you get or got just practice up a storm and you'll be proficient.
This is fine advice and I'd give it a thumbs-up, but it's not at all the answer for this thread.

Work, work, WORK with whatever you have and you'll be a better shooter for it, but mastering the trigger on your Hi-Point will -NOT- make the trigger on your Glock feel like the trigger on a Les Baer.

Ya know?!
Old September 9, 2012, 11:42 PM   #13
drail

Adapt and overcome. Or modify.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:07 AM   #14
farmerboy

Glock is my answer then. And altered would be a Glock with ghost 2.5#connector and competition springs added.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:16 AM   #15
warningshot

You know this is true because it's on the internet.

Others have told me:
Sig 226s & 229s piont better than the other wonder nines. Sigs remind their shooters of Browning designed pistols, including triggers, better than others.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:29 AM   #16
farmerboy

You're prob wanting to know of CCW guns. Didn't really say so- I have a browning buckmark that has an awesome trigger from the factory.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:10 AM   #17
Leejack

Very subjective question.

Many people judge guns on how easy it is to pull the trigger, everybody has their favorites. How the gun fits and feels in your hand is very important too.

Having said that, I like the PT-92 and the SP2022.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:00 AM   #18
warbirdlover

Since I'm a rifle shooter I asked this question. I got very different answers then I expected and read each one.

Really got me thinking. THANKS for all the great replies....

Old September 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #19
BigJimP

Triggers for the most part ...are not good or bad...just different.

They're different in how they break ( slack, creep) ...how they reset ( crisp, mushy, etc ) ...and if they're hinged ( and they have to travel thru an arc ...or move straight back and forth in the frame ( like a 1911 )...

some wobble side to side....
....some on DA break at 10 lbs / and then in SA break at 4.5 lbs..
........and everything in between.......

In terms of production guns...none of them will come close to a well made, and well tuned 1911....not even a Colt Gold Cup/especially when compared to typical 1911's from companies like Wilson Combat, Ed Brown or Nighthawk, in my opinion - but a Gold Cup is a pretty good 1911.

But to say Sig 226's ( and they are very good guns ) are the best ?? - is a little too generic...when Sig has DA/SA triggers, DAK triggers, SRT triggers...and in some of their guns like the 226 X-Five series...they have a SAO trigger...the L-1 X-Five even has an adjustable trigger in it that you can adjust from 2.0 to 4.0 lbs...
-----------
My personal top 3 - guns with best triggers would be :
a. Wilson Combat 1911's
b. Ed Brown 1911's (actually I lied, Wilson Combat would be my top 10 guns)
c. Sig 226 X-Five ...L-1 model with the adj trigger....list is $ 2,747 ...but its a nice gun ( mine is a .40S&W ) ...about 52 oz with a full mag in it ..so its heavier than a 5" 1911...
d. Wilson Combat Spec Ops...double stack, 9mm, ....base price $ 2,285 ...trigger is SA and set at 3.5 to 4.0 lbs...and it holds 16 rounds...
---------
For a production gun under $ 1,500 ... for best triggers, I'd pick:
a. Sig 226 Stainless Elite model with the DA/SA SRT trigger in it....
b. Sig 220 Super Match with a SAO trigger in it...
Old September 11, 2012, 08:56 AM   #20
warbirdlover

I guess like everything else, you want the best trigger pull you pay the big bucks for it.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Skans

Belgian Hi-Power; T or C-Series.

The best DA/SA trigger I've experienced is on my EAA Witness Stock 10mm. In SA, it's as close to a true single action trigger as I've felt on a DA/SA type gun.

STI's 2011. Mine holds about 14 rounds of 45 ACP and has an exceptionally clean crisp trigger. I know you said no 1911's.....but it's a 2011.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:51 AM   #22
BigJimP

Yes, quality ....and a good warranty ...and good service, if you ever need it ...on a higher end gun / is part of the package - and there is a cost associated with it.

However....we all go thru stages in our shooting / and budget stages too ....and there are very good guns out there on a budget / and no matter what - have fun with the process. If you can't drop $3,000 on a gun right now - don't worry about it / a buddy of mine just bought an XD and put an after market trigger upgrade kit in it ..and he's real happy with it ...for way less than what a good 1911 would have cost him ...and down the road, he may or may not go to something else....doesn't matter / as long as every time he shoots that XD he has a good time with it.
Old September 11, 2012, 12:09 PM   #23
Hillbilly66

^^^Same goes for my M&P's... Not great out of the box, but got better as the internals wore in. Just not to my satisfaction. I like to tinker with my firearms, so I dropped Apex DC AEK's in them and now they are very, very nice.

edited: for grammar and touchscreen woes

"A People that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both"
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Last edited by Hillbilly66; September 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM.