The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Kevin_d77

Night Sights

Anyone get night sights for the Shield or the XD (4" service model)? Was wanting to hear some opinions. I know the Shield has limited options specifically for it, but some regular M&P sights will work. For the XD I was thinking TruGlo TFO's as I have read decent things about them.

Thoughts?
Old April 19, 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Trijicon HDs.
Maintain situational awareness
Old April 19, 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

I have Meprolights on a couple but I was thinking of trying something new. Nothing wrong with the Mepro's but variety is the spice of life.

Trijicons seem to be a very popular choice
Old April 19, 2013, 08:07 PM   #4
TunnelRat

I love the sight picture of the HDs, really great for defense.
Old April 19, 2013, 08:26 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

+1 on post #2....

For the S-A XD series, Id buy the new Trijicon HD series with orange/green.
I liked mixed type night sights so you can tell at a quick glance if they are lined up, .

ClydeFrog
Old April 19, 2013, 11:18 PM   #6
BuckRub

Wouldn't waste my money on night sights. I have two guns with trijicon night sight , my wife has a S&W 642 with crimson trace lazer grips. If I was gonna buy something I'd go with the lazer grips. Night sight don't really help too much, IMO but they sell all kind of crap for people who really don't know and who are willing to hand over some money.
Old April 20, 2013, 01:38 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Don't tell that to the PA State Police....

Or the PA Fish Commission or the 100s of other sworn LE agencies & military units that select Trijicon night sights for their issue or duty sidearms, .

www.Trijicon.com
Old April 20, 2013, 02:31 AM   #8
BuckRub

I told y'all my opinion and I'd tell anyone my opinion. I don't blow smoke or sugar kote. If I think it's worth it , I'd say and if not I'd say. Just hate to see someone spend their money and think they'll have an edge and be disappointed.
Old April 20, 2013, 05:11 AM   #9
bamiller

Walk into a dark room in your home this evening with your regular sighted pistol aimed. You'll see the outline of most items your pointing/looking at but not the sights of your pistol. I have the Trijicon HDs with the orange circle around the front tritium sight and really like them. The orange circle really helps older eyes like mine acquire the target quicker. I have Crimson Trace night sights on a few of my pistols as well. Biggest advantage I see is should you not be able to extend your arms to aim you place the dot and shoot. Just make sure you check aim periodically. I have had them lose aim after firing several rounds at the range.
Old April 20, 2013, 05:51 AM   #10
BuckRub

Glad you got an advantage then...
Old April 20, 2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Kevin_d77

I have crimson trace on my sig, don't really care for it. I have a Viridian light and laser combo on my XD, I think the constant jarring of the .40 cal firing ruined something inside. I'll just stick with night sights at this point.

I will def look at the Trijicon HD's for the XD, see how I like them and then decide in the Shield.

Thanks all!
Old April 21, 2013, 01:49 PM   #12
bikerbill

I have night sights on only one of my guns, a Springfield 1911 ... my house is rarely so dark that I can't see, but the night sights have one huge advantage for me; our bedroom is pitch dark, so the glowing sights on my nightstand let me find and index the gun quickly without fumbling or perhaps even dropping the gun because I don't get a good grip ... I did just put Mepro fiber optic sights on my Kimber Ultra, vast improvement over the all-black metal ones it came with ... got red in back, green for the front, the contrast really helps ..
Old April 21, 2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Theohazard

Quote:
BuckRub posted
Night sight don't really help too much, IMO but they sell all kind of crap for people who really don't know and who are willing to hand over some money.
It's fine if you don't like night sights, but that claim is a little ridiculous. In fact, it's downright ironic: The vast majority of the people I know in the training industry see it the exact opposite; they would say that most people who buy lasers are people who "really don't know" and are "willing to hand over some money".

In my experience, most people who buy lasers are newer shooters who aren't used to using the normal sights, whereas I don't know a single handgun instructor who uses a laser, but they all use night sights.

For me, laser sights are slower and harder to use because I've always trained myself to focus on the front sight; I much prefer a good set of iron sights. And that's what my Trijicon HDs are: A great set of sights that work fantastic in the daytime. The tritium inserts are only a bonus in my opinion.

But if you shoot well with a laser, then great; each shooter should use whatever works best for them.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:14 PM   #14
geetarman

I have night sights on most of my handguns and CT sights on three of them.

Once dialed in, my CT sights stay put. It is a different feeling using them because your focus is shifted from the front sight to the red dot on what ever target you have selected.

On my guns, the CT sight is offset to the right so there is only one place where the POI and sight are the same. Once you get past that point the divergence can become pretty extreme.

Mine are set at about 25 feet and they really do work. Light the target up and squeeze the trigger and watch the hole appear.

Carpe Cerveza
Old April 21, 2013, 06:33 PM   #15
redleg1013

Re: Night Sights

Not to seem Troll-ish, but aren't we as responsible shooters supposed to be able to clearly identify our target? Just trying to think like a lawyer that is willing to burn you in an otherwise justified shooting.

Personally I'd really hate to hear that a good shoot went bad because the shooter relied solely on night sights in an otherwise dark room, and the counter suit alleges that the defendant made entry to try to stop the REAL perpetrator who is still at large.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
TunnelRat

I use a light for the house. The night sights are good for low light situations, like a parking lot.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:07 PM   #17
Kevin_d77

Exactly what TunnelRat said. I keep a flashlight next to the bed and the pistol but I would love to have some sights for the carry Shield. There's actually a flashlight in every room of the house (well except the bathrooms lol)!
Old April 21, 2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Jaywalker

I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of night sights. Everything I've read indicates that people involved in shootings just don't remember seeing their sights, and I'm pretty sure I would be focusing on the threat, not the sights. A red dot sight or a laser might do better for me.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:43 PM   #19
BuckRub

Yes Sir Re Bob. For anyone it would make it easier. Just know how to use your sights in a instant if your batteries or lazer fails. They're great to use but only when they're working.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Jaywalker

Buck, there's no question there are drawbacks to RDS and lasers. I'm a point shooter and just don't think night sights will do me any good, but if they will work for you, then that's fine.

Everybody cuts this pie in the way that makes sense to them. My sense is that with a failed laser out to seven yards away from home in a SD situation, point shooting is fine with a semi-auto, less with a revolver. Farther out, I'll need sights, but with that much room, I'll be a departing, moving target and hard to hit.

For me, night sights don't make sense. I think they make the most sense for law enforcement with partners on hand to maintain situational awareness while the shooters are focusing on their front sights. Again, for me, I won't have a partner and will have to maintain situational awareness myself, and that means focusing on the threat, not the sights. I understand this is not the standard view these days, however, and don't expect many converts to this viewpoint.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:16 AM   #21
ClydeFrog

Point or CQB shooting...

I'm not a huge supporter of point shooting or "CQB" style shooting.

The sights are on a handgun for a good reason.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:52 AM   #22
Jaywalker

I do have to say this is the politest point vs. sight discussion I've been in...