The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old March 5, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Playboypenguin

Range Report section?

The one thing I would love to see added to this board, even though I know it is probably too much trouble to do, would be a range report section where members could post write-ups and reviews of their firearms.
Old March 5, 2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Abndoc

I agree.
Old March 5, 2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Johnc

Sounds like a great idea. It would be a good source of information. The manufacturers may resent the premise of accurate unbiased reporting from a source without their "sponsorship".
Old March 8, 2008, 01:45 PM   #4
allenomics

I believe it would be used and supported by members.

The challenge would be to have threads specific to models that members critique with a standard outline in order to be useful, not just randomly formatted threads.
Old March 8, 2008, 02:51 PM   #5
jrfoxx

Actually, a couple members from here and/or THR had started a forum dedicated to user range reports, but it had little traffic,in spite of being adverstised here and on THR, nd appearing like it had a lot of interest. It has long since been heavily overridden with spam for "male enhancement" items, Ipods, etc. I have attempted to contact the owner and mods there several times to point out the spam, to try and revive the site, as I thouht it was a great idea/resource too, but wih no response.If the owner here doesnt want to add a secion, someone could always start a new one similar to this.I'd be happy to help and particpate.
http://www.rangereports.com/index.php

Last edited by jrfoxx; March 9, 2008 at 04:24 AM.
Old March 8, 2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

A "range report" section would be outstanding. Slap a "sticky" on it and try to get people to follow a set format would be a nice touch.
Old March 8, 2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Playboypenguin

Quote:
A "range report" section would be outstanding. Slap a "sticky" on it and try to get people to follow a set format would be a nice touch.
I would not be too worried about the format..as long as people get their opinion across.

Plus, trying to get people on this board to follow a format is like trying to herd feral cats.
Old March 9, 2008, 12:34 AM   #8
ActivShootr

Quote:
Plus, trying to get people on this board to follow a format is like trying to herd feral cats.
ROFL!!!

A set of basic guidelines would help though. "Me an' Billy Ray shot up a buncha beer cans" leaves a little to be desired.
Old March 9, 2008, 08:07 AM   #9
Bud Helms

I'd post a range report for a revolver in the Handguns: The Revolver Forum.

Similarly, a semiauto pistol in the Handguns: The Semiauto Forum.

Likewise, there is the The Art of the Rifle forum for range reports on rifles.

Need I go on?
Old March 9, 2008, 08:31 AM   #10
KMO

Well, Bud, that's great, but I think these posters are looking for something more specific. How about a section that is referenced by gun type, manufacturer, model, etc., with range reports and personal reviews listed for each gun? That would prevent users from sifting through many unrelated threads when searching for information on a specific gun.
Old March 9, 2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Bud Helms

I know they are looking for something more specific. We could have a forum for 4" barrelled Model 429s, and so on. There's nothing wrong with making the suggestion or asking the question, but we aren't here to replace all the other really excellent boards on the internet that already do this.