The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 2, 2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Uncle Buck

Different (For Me) type of Scope

I purchased a rifle yesterday with a scope on it. It is a Bushnell Sportview.

The front of the scope has an adjustable ring on it that goes from 20 yards to 1000 yards.

The rear of the scope can magnify from 4 - 12 power.

How does this scope work? As I adjust the front ring, does that move the reticle inside so I do not have to make sight corrections? (i.e., at 200 yards, raise the cross hairs 3/4 of an inch)

Also, the scope sits too far forward for me to comfortably see through it and I would like to move it back, but the scope tube is not long enough. What type of rings could I get that would allow me to move it back?

Thanks
Old February 2, 2012, 01:20 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

Hello Uncle Buck,,,

I don't think I can answer your questions,,,
But I would love to see a pic of the scope on your rifle.

I'm very confused though,,,
I just went to the Bushnell website,,,
They list the Sportview scopes as spotting scopes.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 2, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
griz

Sounds like an adjustment for parralex (SP?) They make extension rings that give you an extra inch or two of latitude on scope mounting.
Old February 2, 2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Uncle Buck

http://www.bushnell.com/manuals/rifl...Riflescope.pdf

This is the closet thing I can find as to what I have. This feature only brings the target more sharply into focus. I would still have to make the elevation adjustments.

I do not know why, but I never thought about calling Bushnell until aarondhgraham mentioned looking on their website.

This scope was made sometime between the 1980's and early 2000's. It is no longer produced.
Old February 2, 2012, 04:33 PM   #5
g.willikers

It sounds like it's a standard type parallax adjustable scope.
Adjust the reticle clarity with the rear adjustment.
The front adjustment is for focusing on the target.
It can also be used, somewhat for ranging.
Adjust the front ring until the target is clear and read the approx distance from the numbers on the ring.
Old February 3, 2012, 08:54 AM   #6
wogpotter

It is an "Adjustable Objective" scope.

What it allows you to do is set the collimation of the reticule for the distance to the target. This is independent of rear adjustments which are for eyesight only.

Here's how to set it up & use it in a nutshell.

First set the rear adjustment to have the reticule as sharp as possible to your eyesight. The easiest way to do this is with a blank sheet of paper. Put the paper in front of the scope so that all you see is plain white with a black reticule. The easiest way is to lay the paper flat on the barrel, tape the rear in place & lift the front slightly & then get under a bright light, the paper will act as a reflector. Now turn the rear ring till the reticule is tack sharp. Look away & back quickly if the reticule isn't immediately tack sharp re adjust till it is.

Now for the front.

Pick a known distance, say 100yds. Place a clear target there & bench & bag the rifle so it is fixed in position. Go to the highest magnification on the scope. Make adjustments so the target is centered in the reticule, just as if you would when target shooting. Dial the distance into the front ring.

Both the bullseye & the reticule should be absolutely sharp, but frequently the marked settings are a guess at best so you need to check.

Without moving the rifle at all "wiggle" your head left right, or "nod" up/down. Does the reticule seem to move across the face of the target? If it does then re adjust the ring till it is fixed in place. You have now removed all parallax & focused the sight perfectly.

You need to do this once for each distance, if you're lucky the marks will be accurate, if not make your own distance marks on a piece of tape covering the factory ones.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 3, 2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Te Anau

Good job wogpotter
Old February 4, 2012, 07:35 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

Thanks Wogpotter. That will definitely narrow down the learning curve. Miserable day today, but I am hoping to be able to actually get out and shoot it soon.