The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2000, 02:34 PM   #1
Fisher

Don't get me wrong guys. I like reading the Hornady, Nosler, Speer, etc reloading manuals. The Stories, history and data are great. My problem is this. I can't seem to find a manual or website that will give me relaoding data for all the different length barrels that you can get with the contender. I would think that someone, somewhere would have this information for all the stock barrels that are available.

Some how I don't think I will get accurate loads and velocities loading a round by 10" data for a 14" barrel.

Any help will be appriciated.
Old August 13, 2000, 04:11 PM   #2
Paul B.

Fisher. Say you have data for a .357 Max in a manual, worked up with a 10 inch barrel, and yours is a 14 inch barrel. You win. Your velocity will be higher ( at least it should be) than what was attained in the shorter barrel. How much higher will have to be determined by using a chronograph.
If you don't have a chronograph, Shooting Chrony has new ones starting at about $89.00 and repaired trade-ins for, if I remember right, about $65.00. Go to (www.shootingchrony.com) and check them out. I just bought a new one (the Master Chrony) and am sending my old one back for repair. It argued with a .44 Spl. and lost. It was the non-upgradeble F-1 model that first came out a few years back. Current F-1's are upgradeble.
Hope this clears things up for you. If that URL isn't right, E-mail me and I'll send you a correction. Put in down from memory.
Paul B.
Old August 13, 2000, 07:32 PM   #3
Mel Hoskin

Fisher, There is a reloading manual out that is just for the Contender. I had one when my house burnt down, it went with every thing else. I now have a crony by Oehler, so didn't replace it. It is a softcover book, have seen it advertized every now and then in some of the pubs.

Mel <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fisher:
Don't get me wrong guys. I like reading the Hornady, Nosler, Speer, etc reloading manuals. The Stories, history and data are great. My problem is this. I can't seem to find a manual or website that will give me relaoding data for all the different length barrels that you can get with the contender. I would think that someone, somewhere would have this information for all the stock barrels that are available.

Some how I don't think I will get accurate loads and velocities loading a round by 10" data for a 14" barrel.

Any help will be appriciated.
[/quote]

Old August 14, 2000, 01:51 AM   #4
Bill Adair

Fisher,

Mel (hi Mel!) is talking about a publication called a Load Book. They come in specific calibers, and are a compilation of the load data from most of the popular sources. I have them for 357 magnum, and 45 Colt.

One is also specific to the Contender (and I would assume Encore) pistol calibers. They are available at most gun stores, and cost about $8.

The difference in velocity between the two Contender pistol barrel lengths will not be significant. Load data is sometimes presented for the shorter barrel, with a note that a higher velocity can be expected from the longer barrel. You never start with maximum loads anyway, and should use a chronograph to work up the the max recommended velocity, with careful attention to other signs of overpressure.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Adair (edited August 14, 2000).]
Old August 14, 2000, 04:46 PM   #5
Fisher

Ok guys, all of you have mentioned that I should be using a chronograph. In fact I have been kicking around that idea myself. My next question is which one to buy. Paul and Mel have mentioned which one they use. How about a few ideas on which other brands are out there and where else to look.

Accuracy and quality are at the top of the list for things to consider. Any other things like memory and the capability to download to laptops would be interesting but not a must.

This could work out well guys. I have a birthday coming up and the wife just asked what I wanted. She may regret asking !!!

Thanks
Old August 15, 2000, 11:27 AM   #6
Lmccrock

Fisher, have you looked at the Lyman Reloading Manual? It lists velocities for 10" and 14" barrels, for both lengths in many cases, and both 10" and 16" for 45-70. For instance, .222, .223, 7mm TCU, 30-30, all have both listed. There would not be different loads, since I believe the maximum pressure would be the same regardless of barrel length.

Old August 16, 2000, 09:33 AM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

You might try looking up Gary Reeder Custom Guns. They make a lot of unusual barrels and calibers for these guns. If anyone would have such data I would think that it would be Gary.
Old August 16, 2000, 11:43 AM   #8
Contender

Fisher,

I've loaded for Contenders for many years. I would say to you to get yourself a good chronograph and use the published load data for your particular caliber whether the data was developed in a Contender or not.(If it was, that's a bonus)

Published velocity data is only a rough guide so don't use it as gospel. Just like you may run into pressure problems with published load data before reaching their max listed load.

That said, many sources now are coming up with seperate listings for Contender barrels. Speer, Sierra, Hodgdon to name a few. I'm often in the rifle data section myself.

I use a Pro Chrono from Competition Electronics.

If you intend to do any serious reloading work with the Contender, get yourself a Chrono instead of another barrel.

It eliminates all guesswork as far as load performance,sighting in,etc.

Have Fun.

[This message has been edited by Contender (edited August 16, 2000).]
Old August 16, 2000, 08:15 PM   #9
Fisher

Thanks guys. It looks like I'll be ordering a chronograph sometime this week. I appriciate all the responses to my post.