The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 26, 2002, 12:27 AM   #76
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Ralph said some things a while back on e-budo that got some of us a mite perturbed. They were needlessly argumentative, baiting, ill-considered, insulting, obtuse, and in short, all things evil. They are now gone from the "no holds barred" section, but I do seem to recall two of the better-known members here (who may or may not be currently masquerading as TFL Staff) were among the many who pointed out the inconsistencies in what he had to say. IIRC, this thread was just about the longest thread in the history of the world, and the only people who had anything positive to say about Ralphie were his personal students. (To give the briefest hint, Mr. Severe basically urged all citizens of countries with controlled access to weapons to rise up and kill their governing officials, then toward the end of the long thread, bragged about his association with various law enforcement groups in the US and UK. )

I, um, also seem to recall begging Mr. Severe to come see me, the next time he passed through Atlanta, with a waiver in his hand.

There are some good "x-kanners", but if you hear the word "ninjutsu" bandied about, beware. As an aside, Bud Malstrom is terrific. Train with him if you can.
Old May 26, 2002, 02:47 PM   #77
krept

more people are into this than I thought.

a bird said it was studied by some operators (not the wannabe ones, but the ones currently working as such)?

Considering the Japanese at Pride events laughed at the term "ninja" I'm wondering what is going on.

Aren't the practitioners (even Hatsumi?) billing it as bujutsu and ninpo now? Sounds like they are trying to get away from the whole association with the term "ninja" and who can blame them?

Makes me wonder what the new buzzword will be to replace "tactical."
Old May 28, 2002, 08:22 PM   #78
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Okay, maybe we should back up. The Bujinkan and Jinenkan both teach multiple systems (ryu, traditional lineages). In the case of the Bujinkan, there are 9 schools, and in the case of the Jinenkan, there are 7. Of these, only two are "ninjutsu" schools. Steven Hayes used the word "ninja" and "ninjutsu" a lot because the idea of this mystical Jedi Knight/Rambo mix got Americans' attention. It would be impossible for a modern day American to be a "ninja", just as it would be impossible for that same person to be a samurai. (Or a knight, in anything but title.)

Anyway, these systems do correctly fit into kobudo bujutsu, which is a way of saying traditional Japanese battle arts. Those interested are encouraged to go to the Jinenkan website or one of the many Bujinkan sites for more info.

krept, I would say serious practitioners of these arts like using the correct terms for what they're practicing, and also want to distance themselves from pretenders like Dux, "Ashida Kim", and the like.

Wandering Thoughts
Old June 5, 2002, 11:05 PM   #79
Anthony

Hello Everyone,

Just thought I'd give all of you an update.

Went to observe a Shotokan Karate class at a local activity center, but was turned off by all the kids in the class. When I was about to leave I saw someone in a different style of uniform. So I asked what their class was. It turns out it is a Modern Arnis class taught by a local guy who does it part time for enjoyment. He really loves the art and does not teach children. He only charges $20 a month so I figured I couldn't miss by at least observing a class. Wow! I was overwhelmed!

Wonderful art! Extremely combat oriented!

Well I've taken three sessions now and I'm hooked!

Any thoughts on Modern Arnis?

- Anthony
Old June 6, 2002, 01:57 PM   #80
krept

I personally think Arnis is awesome and would love to take classes if there were a school near me. Sounds like you were meant to find this guy. I'd like to hear updates as your training progresses, stuff you learn, etc.
Old June 11, 2002, 08:24 PM   #81
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Good going, Anthony.

Wandering Thoughts
Old June 12, 2002, 01:58 PM   #82
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Anthony, since you asked, and keeping in mind that I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to martial arts, I would say to jump at the chance to study Arnis. This goes double if you like the instructor as much as you seem to. I just wish I could find someone teaching it here.
Old June 13, 2002, 06:34 PM   #83
V42

Oh, Great, another forum to waste time on. And I wonder why I never train . . .

Anyway, for what it is worth I have met Ralph Severe several times and seen him train his students and he is a very proficient martial artist and was an okay guy to me. This of course says nothing about his conduct on the Internet, and I am afraid I wouldn't know a Ninja if I backed over one, which would be entiredly possible, since they always dress in that damn black and I might not see them if it was dark.

Now that Flash thing set to the theme of Conan the Barbarian was hilarious, however it upset my new puppy who started growling at it.
Old June 13, 2002, 07:38 PM   #84
ATeaM

This thread is damn near 2 months old !
Closed Thread