The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 14, 2013, 10:30 PM   #1
ZVP

Can't just own one...

I dunno maybe it's me and guns but I can't just own one!
I need different ones for different situations, Game or just shooting. Once I get one, I seem to pair it up with a period correct pistol and then a rimfire rifle and pistol (Bingo! 4 guns now). I think the paring up of gun sets is me but the multi-purpose limitations are REAL. You need different actions and types of shotgun for different jobs.
Back to shotguns, no one gun seems to suit me for all purposes. I now have a nice 20 ga SxS Upland gun and it can fill the bill for several chores due to having the 3" chambers ( I can't imagine a 3" in that light double!) but the gun would do for Quail, Pheasant and Rabbits. Plus the other fun chores like shooting clays even of it's not the right gun for the job.
The H/D Pump is a Wards/Mossberg and will accept different barrels so cutting the 30" tube to 20" was not to painfull. It'll double as a fun gun and a rabbit/Varmint buster. It balances great and I can't wait to try some hip-shots since I bobbed the barrel!
How about you?
How many Shotguns do you own and what for?
DO you also pair em up with handguns?
ZVP
Old April 15, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
big al hunter

I have 7 shotguns. 6 are for bustin clays and hunting ducks. One is a rifled barrel 12 ga TC Encore, for deer hunting. Never thought about pairing up handguns unless I could hunt big game at the same place as ducks. Then it is always a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag regardless of which shotgun is in my hands.

But I never stop someone from using their own excuse to buy a new gun. Like you said, can't have just one.
Old April 15, 2013, 10:30 AM   #3
BigD_in_FL

I've had over a dozen at one time, but now down to just 7- but also looking for a new one -

Mine are for clays, birds, and one for HD - in a closet somewhere - I prefer pistols first for HD.

Down to just 12 and 20 bores as I reload a 3/4oz load for both 12 and 20 - so no need to keep the 28's
Old April 15, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
BigJimP

I have about 20 shotguns ( mostly Browning O/U's ) ...about 12 in 12ga, 5 in 20ga ...and 1 in 16ga, 1 in 28ga, 1 in .410 ...

all of mine are for breaking clays or live upland birds...( Browning Citori XS Skeet, in all 4 gagues, 30" barrels @ around 8.5 lbs ...is my primary gun for general shotgunning - Skeet, Sporting Clays and hunting / For Trap my primary is a Browning Citori XT Trap with 32" barrels).

I have so many ...because I wanted them and I thought I needed:
a. some extra dedicated Trap guns ( single barrels...BT-100 / XT's in 32" / etc...) / an extra XS Skeet because I didn't want to be 300 miles from home and have a gun break ( but I've never broken one )...

b. wanted a semi-auto so I picked up a couple of Benelli Super Sport models...( fractured my shoulder blade before a sporting clays season - and I couldn't handle an 8.5 lb gun all day ...so I bought the Benelli to shoot that season - liked it, and kept it) ....I don't sell anything...

c. to pick up some of the Browning Citori Lightning - field grade O/U's in
28" barrels, refinish them, keep them for the kids down the road...
( and things got a little out of control !! )
----------
For Defense...I will always turn to my 1911's ( 5", Wilson Combat, .45 acp is my primary carry gun )...and I practice weekly with it.

and the accumulation just grew over time ...and eventually I'll pass them down to the grandkids, etc.
Old April 15, 2013, 01:19 PM   #5
ZVP

Reloading...

I gotback into shooting venterfires too late in life to also get into reloading too. Only have the energy for one vice at a time now. I just look for sales and for good prices on factory ammo.
I wish I knew someone who reloaded shotshells! I'd have them build me some light loaded pratice ammo to get good with the guns. I have been away from shotgunning long enough that this is like starting all over again! Frankilly with the ammo situation, my sholder is taking a lot of punishment from full power hunting loads! I have to tone it down especally in 12ga but also in 20ga!
Nothing nicer than shooting mild 20ga loads but don't ever underrate the 20Ga for recoil. You can get both the 12 and 20 gauges toned down for all day shoots and long clays sessions but it's all in the loads!
Most shooting situations only require modest powder charges to get shot velocities up to killing velocity or clay busting power. What good does it do to have the capibility of really busting the bird or clay if you can't hit it? The only real way to hit is to pratice and that takes light loads so you can shoot a lot to gain profiency!
I have followed this pratice with my centerfire revolvers and plan to carry it over to my shotguns.
Yea I do "pair" pistols and long guns even Pellet guns! Nothing nicer than to have a nice pair to play with eh? Truthfully, the search for companion revolvers or semi-autos is kinda fun! You can usually find a period correct Rimfire fairly economically on the used market. Far as centerfires go, costs increase but so does the praticality when afield. A Coup De Gras .357 Ruger can accompany your SxS for pig hunting. A semi-auto for your pumpguns.
I usually try and pair guns within a decade of eachother,ie my Chief'''s sspecial witth mmy pumpgun.
ZVP
Old April 15, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

I load 3/4oz reloads for both my 12 and 20 gauge guns that I use for practice - no need to beat yourself up practicing
Old April 15, 2013, 05:31 PM   #7
chadio

Just one (for now )

Beretta AL391 Urika (series 1)

I use it for trap shooting, I know it isn't the ultimate trap gun but it just might be the most versatile shotgun made and I like it )
Old April 15, 2013, 05:37 PM   #8
BigJimP

A lot of guys are reloading 3/4 oz ( for 12ga, and 20ga ) at around 1200 fps ...its a typical 28ga load - and in a heavier gun its a very soft shooting shell / and as clay target shooters - we're cheap / so we're saving on our shot cost....

Even if you buy shells retail ....it really shouldn't be too hard to find 12ga shells at 1150 fps probably in 1 oz ....or 7/8 oz loads ( a typical 20ga load ) at 1200 fps for a 12ga. Companies like Remington, Chedite, Rio, etc all make light 12ga "target shells". But you have to read the box carefully ....I see some Remington Gun Club "light target loads" around but they have 1 1/8 oz of shot...( and that is not a "light" load).

In 12 ga shells..( for light loads)
Look first for 7/8 oz or 1 oz payloads
Then look at velocity ...and keep it at or under 1200 fps..
Old April 15, 2013, 06:29 PM   #9
BigD_in_FL

BigJimP - my 3/4 oz loads run closer to 1300 to keep powder burn good, but they pattern well and they SMOKE skeet, 5-stand and even FITASC targets during practice, run light and quick and watch what they do
Old April 16, 2013, 01:01 AM   #10
ZVP

Today pickings are slim in this post Obama panic buying spree. The products just aren't out there right now (and I live in Shotgun Country!)
Most likely the store stocpiles will be refurbished and Low Speed. Light Loaded shotshells will abound BUT untill things get replenished my wanted shells just aren't out there!
I did find 2 boxes of 2 1/2 dram 2 3/4" #7 20 gauge shells for $15 per box, I only had enough for one box with me so I grabbed the little Jewels for my 20 ga SxS!
All the target 12 ga loads I find are 3 1/4 dram 7's and 8's with ounce and a half shot loads. These are cooking at 1300fps and like was said are definately NOT target loads! More like large dose small shot Phesant loads! Brutal on the sholder!
I am going to fit my Westernfield H/D sawed-off 20"bbl with a thick Limbsaver slip on recoil pad! They claim great recoil reductons and Customer comments seem to echo this fact. It seems like slip-over pads do the most to squash recoil. Maybe it;s their loose fit that allows for this fact?
Couple light recoiling shells with a very decent recoil pad and I think my nad sholder will cry out thankyou!
ZVP
Old April 16, 2013, 06:18 AM   #11
CajunBass

I've got five.

One is a 12 ga Sears/Mossberg 500 that I bought 35 years ago for deer hunting with buckshot. I've killed a bunch of deer, and a few squirrels with it, but mostly it's a deer gun.

No 2: My fathers 12 ga Sears 200 that was his turkey shoot gun. I guess I've shot it, but I don't remember for sure.

No 3: Mossberg 500, 20 ga pump. My wife uses it for deer hunting a couple of times a year, but mostly I just wanted a 20 ga.

No 4: 12 ga Parker Trogan from 1924. 28" barrels, full/Mod. I've always wanted a Parker. Now I have one.

No 5: 16 ga. Lefever Nitro Special from 1928. I honestly got this one just because it was cheap. I really don't know what/if I'll use it for anything.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 16, 2013, 11:02 AM   #12
BigJimP

Maybe its time to consider one of the MEC reloaders....I've used a variety of their presses over the years...all very good machines.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/

Loading shotshells is really very easy....( but then I've been doing it off and on for about 45 yrs )....

Personally, for an entry level machine - I'd recommend the Grabber model / its progressive, but manually indexed.

If you want a truly full fledged Progressive machine - then look at the 9000 GN ( auto indexing - buy manually cycled with a handle ) or the 9000 -HN ( hydraulic model) operated by a foot pedal - and while I like the hydraulic - you need quite a bit of dedicated shop space for it and it isn't practical unless you're shooting at least 10 boxes a week or so.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:08 AM   #13
BigJimP

BigDin....I have noticed that most of the 3/4 oz 12ga loads I've tried are pretty dirty.../ but I'm still experimenting with a number of different powders. In the 12ga....looks like Red Dot might be the way to go ...at around 1225 fps.../ In the 20ga 3/4 oz looks like Unique is pretty good.

But I'm still working my way thru a 25 gallon tub of 28ga shells too...so not like I have to make up my mind anytime soon.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:45 AM   #14
BigD_in_FL

I just switched from Red Dot (which was dirty at 18.7 running somewhere near 1300), to Titewad. In fact after this post, I need to find which bushing will do the job as this stuff is dense, almost like ball powder compared to RD. Lots of folks like Extra-Lite and say it is clean as well.

In 20, I use Universal because I also use it for pistols, but 20/28 and Green Dot are getting good reviews for 20 gauge 3/4 oz loads
Old April 16, 2013, 12:17 PM   #15
BigJimP

I don't know of any 20ga loads, in 3/4 oz, that are published for Universal. Hodgdon website lists International, Super Hcp, and IMR's PB. So I was experimenting with International ...but it has a snappy recoil to it.

I use a lot of Hodgdon Universal in my handgun loads from 9mm - up to .44 mag ) ...and I've traditionally used it in 20ga 7/8 oz loads and 3/4 oz loads in 28ga....
---------
To the OP's point about shoulder issues ( my shooting shoulder has been completely rebuilt...including having the bicep cut and shortened ) so I feel his issues every day ....and although after the surgery I'm better / its still not as good as when we were young.../ but a combination of things ....if you want to fire a fixed breech gun ( pump gun, O/U or SXS ) then you need to go to a heavier gun ( maybe 8.5 lbs ) and keep the payload on shells in 12ga no heavier than 1 oz ...and velocity at or under 1200 fps.

For many years...my primary shell in a 12ga was 1 oz, 8's, at 1225 fps...and on days when my shoulder was bad.....I'd go with a Benelli semi-auto with the comfort tech system in it....or I'd go with a gas operated semi-auto like one of the Beretta's or Browning (Maxus, Silver, etc..).

If I wanted a "Tactical" fighting shotgun....I'd go with the Benelli M-4 because its gas operated. I sure wouldn't beat myself up with a pump gun.

I shoot pump guns a little - for fun - Browning BPS hunter models 28" barrel...but I keep the loads real light.

If I just have to shoot an O/U on bad shoulder days....I reach for my 28ga Browning Citori XS Skeet model, 30" barrels, about 7.5 lbs ( it was built on the 20ga frame ) or my .410 ( in same configuration). Beating yourself up ...and eating 7 or 8 advil all the time...is not a good idea !!

This stuff is supposed to be fun !
Old April 16, 2013, 02:39 PM   #16
BigD_in_FL

I use my 7/8 load for Universal and just drop 3/4 - it gives you the added powder for the lighter load and really works well

You can always take a published load for a certain combination and drop a little lighter shot with no safety issues
Old April 16, 2013, 02:50 PM   #17
BigJimP

Oh, ok ...
Old April 16, 2013, 02:54 PM   #18
L_Killkenny

Have 2: #1) an 870 set up strictly for slugs and deer. 18.5" barrel, rifle sights and 1.5-4x scope. #2) a Winchester 1300 Ranger. My do whatever needs doing gun. Small game, varmints, predators, upland game, waterfowl, etc. It has both a 28" WinChoke barrel and a 22" WinChoke Barrel. Full range of chokes, full range of ammos. It wears the 22" barrel 99.9% of the time.

Neither was purchased or intended for HD, either will work, the 1300 leans in a corner of the bedroom.
Old April 18, 2013, 03:27 AM   #19
bacardisteve

I've got 5. (1) Winchester model 37 red letter 20ga this was my grandfathers and hasn't been shot in probably 15 years (2) old h&r single shot 12ga that was my great uncles no idea last time it was fired (3) western auto 12ga pump that was my first ever shotgun when I was 12 I still use it from time to time on doves or rabbit (4) mossberg 500 slugster for deer (5) mossberg 590a1 for things that go bumpnin the night. I want to get into waterfowl hunting so I'm thinking of getting a nice semi.
Old April 20, 2013, 03:38 PM   #20
Boomer58cal

3 mossberg 500's 12ga. The ones with two barrels.

2 mossberg 500 12ga copies. Some off brand I got with a trade.

1 savage 16ga pump 32 in.

1 savage C-24 20ga under .22 LR

1 savage Fox model B. 12ga 18 in. double barrel with the barrels honed so a 12ga shell fits in the end of the barrels. I call it my closest cleaner.

1 savage single barrel .410

1 20 ga flint lock 30 in. barrel

1 belgium 12 ga double.

1 20ga heavy double barrel cap lock in construction. (Green mountain barrels)

You know, I didn't think I had allot of shotguns until I started listing them.
Old April 29, 2013, 05:05 PM   #21
ZVP

still just two

But I just bought the first one 2 months ago!
I was holding off on shotguns since the age of 20 (63 now) because I had another passion, airguns but I finally caved-in and bought the little 20ga Stoger Uplander just to havean alleycleaner and anti-personell gun for the upcoming social unrest that seems to be hovering in the near future.
I then decided not to cut down the 20ga SxS as it;s really a nice one! OK I have an all round gun...
I bought a 12 Ga pumpgun to make a H/D shotgun out of. Cut the bbl to 20" and will add a slip-on recoil pad in keeping with the terms of this gun (I paid $100 for it) and bought a slip-on shell holder ($11.00 again, cheapo). This is to be a low budget proposition, No frills just function, A Mossberg 550 Pump Action and no real accessories, I probably won't use the shell holder as it makes the gun butt heavy and slow.
For the futire I can see somesort of autoloader, likely in 20 ga?
It's so eaay to get hooked and the prices on the used market are good so one can easilly find good deals!
BPDave