The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 11, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1
rjrivero

Kidnap and Rescue

This was emailed to me today.

Apparently the Discovery Channel will be airing a new show.

Kidnap and Rescue LINK HERE.

I recently traveled over the Holiday Season, and found myself feeling naked without my sidearm. But, surprisingly, I found myself much more aware of the people around me and and much more "on alert."

It got me thinking, what kind of things do you do to maintain situational awareness when traveling? Those times where you can't carry your sidearm, what kinds of precautions do you take?
Old January 13, 2011, 01:15 AM   #2
BfloBill

I cross the Canadian border quite a bit and can't even take advantage of some "less than lethal" options for self defense. But your best defensive weapon is your brain, I just pay more attention to the people and situation around me.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:41 AM   #3
atlctyslkr

I don't think my alertness level changes unarmed. I don't make any assumptions about my surroundings.
Old January 13, 2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Skans

Quote:
I don't think my alertness level changes unarmed. I don't make any assumptions about my surroundings.
Really? Are you sure about that. I admit, I sometimes drop my guard and am not as alert or as aware of my surroundings as I should be when I'm somewhere very familiar. I try to be, but especially if I am interacting with other people out in public, I'm not necessarily paying attention to everything and everyone around me. I get distracted. And, sometimes, I just get tired of being on edge - it happens.
Old January 17, 2011, 04:24 AM   #5
700cdl

I've been victimized so many times in my 54 yrs. of life that I simply don't go any where my gun can't go. I won't even shop in establishments that won't allow firearms. And I deffinitely will not travel into states that won't permit me to carry on my person, ever. I feel like there is a sign I can't see but the perpetrator does that says, " get him ".
Old January 28, 2011, 12:55 PM   #6
rjrivero

The show on discovery is airing Saturday night 10pm Saturday. It'll be interesting to see if they provide any travel awareness pointers and tips. Anyone else going to watch?
Old January 28, 2011, 04:16 PM   #7
kx592

I have a feeling they wont emphasize the traveling awareness, sounds more like an interesting action show that takes on a different aspect that catches peoples attention ..doesn't mean I wont watch and be interested but I dont think its what most will expect, from a reality perspective at least.