The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 5, 2011, 03:12 PM   #26
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I have asked my wife not to open the door for strangers, especially after dark. She sees the world through rose colored glasses and feels that most are all good people, and doesn't believe that anything bad will happen to us.
It's the same here. But my wife can't provide for her own security and I can't get it through her head that she's just making things tougher on me to provide it for her. When we move north, she'll have to change, because there will be a full security system along with what we have here, because that house is simply too long for me to cover in seconds.
Old January 5, 2011, 03:32 PM   #27
Skans

Quote:
also, there is nothing wrong with helping someone @ 2am I must add because it happens, but the cops should be called first and this should be common knowledge to anyone involved - they are called no matter what this crowley gal says when the suggestion is brought up
This is a tough call. I have experienced this from the perspective of someone who had to knock on doors at 1 a.m. in a fairly nice neighborhood. I was riding my motorcycle - going back to my home when I happened to see some guy lying face down in the grass 20 feet away from his motorcycle (odd that I happened to be on my bike - not too many motorcycles in this area) I stopped, tried to check the guy out - he was out cold and in bad shape. I found his friend (he'd been drinking) waiting for his buddy to bring his bike back. I told him he wrecked, but he didn't believe me. Then I ignored him and went from door to door looking for someone to call for help (pre-cellphone). On the second try, I told the owners that someone was badly hurt, that they didn't need to open the door, but asked that they call 911 for the police / emergency vehicle. They did this without opening the door and a few minutes later the cops and emergency vehicles showed up. The guy's face was really chewed up and fireants were crawling all over his wounds (no helmet) - it was ugly. I let the pros handle it from there, gave a statement and left - never knew what the outcome was. Thankfully, someone would at least call 911.
Old January 7, 2011, 04:35 PM   #28
DeathRodent

I wouldn't hand my phone out to someone

If someone asks to use the phone the answer is: I'll phone the Police for you or I just phoned the cops they're on the way.
Old January 7, 2011, 07:30 PM   #29
steve54

One of my neighbors has recently acquired a handgun for home defense (didn't want to go the shotgun route) and so I asked him what his 'plan' was in the case of a home invasion etc. He didn't have one, I explained to him the logic of ' plans are nothing, planning is everything" and walked him through his house pointing out likely entry points , where he would be in the bedroom if someone woke him forcing an entry and, more importantly, the intruders were likely to get to in that time.
Bottom line is he has a better understanding of what is a complex issue that needs a lot of planning before the event occurs otherwise it's not going to end like you would wish!
Old January 14, 2011, 01:47 PM   #30
FireForged

I live in a rural area of the deep South. My home is off the road a piece and its very dark in these parts at night. I know all my neighbors and usual service people. I even have a polite little sticker on my front door that says "No solicitaion of goods , services or donations". The Sheriff response time is about 30 min so I typically do not answer the door to strangers.
Old January 14, 2011, 03:01 PM   #31
Death from Afar

I guess the crime situation is far different here, but like one of the posters has said, i have lost track of the times i have pulled a stuck car out of a ditch, attended a vehicle accident etc. Having said that, condition yellow always prevails, and i never turn my back.
Old January 14, 2011, 03:44 PM   #32
Bogie

People don't just do that sort of thing at houses or apartments... Be careful in hotel/motel rooms. I usually put a chair in front of the door, because the chains/latch things wouldn't stop a child...

And folks have also been known to have crooks tell them that their RV/truck is on fire while parked at Walmart, truck stops, or rest areas - and when you rush out, they clobber you. Make friends with your neighbors if you're going to be there for a little bit...

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 14, 2011, 04:58 PM   #33
NWCP

I never let a stranger into the house, nor do I give them my phone. I always have a firearm available to me at night and two terriers that are eager to answer all knocks on the door with frantic barking and determined growls. I will place a call for a stranger while they wait outside, or dial 911 in the event they're in an emergency situation. My wife always has her Kimber Guardian Angel handy as well as access to her SP101. We've never had occasion to use any of our weapons in self defense and hope we never have to. We won't however become statistics to be read about in the morning paper, or interviewed from a hospital bed on the news at 11. Dogs are your best friend when it comes to an early warning system and buy you time to gather your wits when trouble comes calling late at night. JMHO
Old January 16, 2011, 10:22 AM   #34
Murdock

Now that's Compassionate Conservatism

Quote:
The whole time I stood in the dark hallway where he couldn't see me with an 870 with 00 buck in the chamber pointed at him. Finger was off of the trigger.
"Trust, but verify" Ronald Reagen
Old January 17, 2011, 02:56 AM   #35
triumph666

early am

i live in bangor....i heard about that incident about girl luring guy out for broken down vehicle and boyfriend waiting for him to come out...good for him to have grabbed his 357 mag and bad for that dumb m****f***a who bashed him in the head when he left his house......if you want to play you better be prepared!!!
Old January 20, 2011, 03:53 PM   #36
Terry A

Knocks are always answered in condition "yellowish-orange"

Quote:
January 7, 2011, 04:35 PM #28
DeathRodent

If someone asks to use the phone the answer is: I'll phone the Police for you or I just phoned the cops they're on the way.

Also, I can't remember the last time I answered a knock at our door in the DAYTIME without a handgun on me, let alone at night. I have no known enemies, am not paranoid but I also am always expecting something to happen where I'll be glad I had a gun.

Let me add this....my wife and kids are often asleep well before me. If someone knocks at the door at night and they, (million to 1 chance) have intentions to home invade or something along those lines, then I am responsible for protecting my family and ensuring they won't be harmed because I was stupid.

How many times have we all heard about families that some criminal(s) picked at random and they ended up murdered? The odds of anything happening are so slim. But that does not mean it's 100% guaranteed never to happen. So, for decades now, just like I wear my clothes, I always have a handgun on me or right beside me.

Lastly, besides everyone on here who now reads this, only my family knows that I always have a gun with me. I've never brandished it to a stranger coming to the house. They were all greeted with a warm and cheerful greeting. And the other side of me is just watching and waiting and is very ready

I don't expect to be hit by a car every time I cross a street, but still, I do look both ways before just running out. Likewise, I don't expect that there's a boogey-man behind every knock, but still, you just never know. Better my family be safe then me sorry.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old January 20, 2011, 05:23 PM   #37
JerryM

No one ever mentions steel security doors that replace the screen door. You can see out, but anyone outside cannot see you.

Take a look at a building supply house. Cheap and effective.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:16 PM   #38
JTMcC

When I was but a little guy, riding to Grandma's house one night Dad stopped for a car on the side of the road. A woman was standing by the car looking like she needed help.
Dad got out and walked to the front of the car when two men came up out of the ditch, Good Old Dad pulled the 1911 he had tucked in his waistband and stepped partially into the light from the headlights with his firearm clearly visible. The two men disapeared, almost like magic, poooof! Dad made sure the lady (?) was OK and didn't need assistance. Then we went on to Grandmas house.
Lesson learned at a young age.
We live in a remote part of the world, where cops will arrive in an hour, maybe. And we help anybody that needs it but use appropriate caution so's to not become a victim.
Just basic respect mixed with a little common sense.
I've been broke down and stranded myself. I always stop and I'm always prepared.

JT
Old January 21, 2011, 09:33 PM   #39
therewolf

Err on the side of caution.

Call the police before you answer the door through the door from the inside.

Let them know the police are on their way. Stay inside. DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR.

Silly little old paranoid me...
Old January 22, 2011, 04:26 PM   #40
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
How many times have we all heard about families that some criminal(s) picked at random and they ended up murdered? The odds of anything happening are so slim. But that does not mean it's 100% guaranteed never to happen.
And if it does happen, even if you do everything right and take out the bad guys, and everyone in your household is safe, it is still a horror story and likely the worst thing ever to happen to you. Still, if you are unarmed........................