The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 21, 2002, 10:59 PM   #1
Preacherman

Hodgdon Triple Seven propellant

I understand the new Hodgdon Triple Seven propellant is a substitute for Black Powder (BP), similar to Pyrodex, but with greatly reduced cleaning, fouling and corrosion problems. Has anyone used this stuff in BP weapons? If so, how do charge weights compare to BP or Pyrodex? Any comments on ease of cleaning, pressures, corrosion, etc.?
Old July 24, 2002, 01:22 AM   #2
Sub MOA

Preacherman,

You still get the smoke but not the smell since it's sulfur-free. I have not missed a beat in the accuracy department with both RBs and conicals. It burns a lot cleaner than BP, a little cleaner than Pyro. It cleans up much quicker (supposedly with just water --- I still use some soap out of habit), BUT it still requires the usual prompt and thorough cleaning. Lots of people think because it is sulfur-free it is non-corrosive, but this isn't true. It's the salts left in the barrel that lead to rust, not the sulpher.

777 is definitely a high energy substitute. Hodgdon suggests decreasing 777 loads 15% to approximate BP or Pyro. My own experiments show an increase in velocity over PryoRS of almost 20% for identical volumes. Hodgdon's claims of 15% may be based upon breech pressures while my figure of 20% is based on velocity, so maybe we're both right. Regardless, your shoulder certainly doesn't need mathematical figures to tell the difference with equal volume charges.

Rumor has it that Hodgdon is in the process of pelletizing 777. Seems like this powder was designed to make Pyro obsolete, but Hodgdon has stated they plan to continue with both lines. I guess time will tell.

Sub
Old July 24, 2002, 09:57 AM   #3
Alex Johnson

I've used it with good results in my cap and ball revolvers. It does seem to give a bit more power in these guns than the P pyrodex I was using before. Sub is right about the corrosion, it's not as bad as black powder, but if you don't clean the gun after shooting it will corrode the gun. It cleans really easily with hot water though so cleaning is greatly reduced. I've heard that the clean shot powders are non-corrosive, though I've never tried them, does anyone know if this is true?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old July 24, 2002, 09:51 PM   #4
jjmorgan64

Clean shot and Clear shot have both been non corrosive in my guns, I like to load both in cartridges to shoot out of my old guns, not as much smoke, but the clean up is a snap, just clean with Hoppes, as normal

JM
Old July 26, 2002, 02:12 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

At my local WalMart, Triple-7 is going for $24 per pound! ouch
Old July 27, 2002, 06:28 PM   #6
Jimmy Mac

777 for $24 a lb. A not so good replica of the origional. Five minutes cleaning my rifle when I am done.

Good consistant reliable blackpowder $6 a lb. Five minutes cleaning my rifle when I am done

I don't have any problem chosing between the two.
Old July 28, 2002, 08:13 PM   #7
Sub MOA

I laughed when I saw the price tag at my WallyWorld: $24.99. I don't know who's buying it at this price. There's some serious price gouging going on there. I've found several local sources between $17-20/lb.

Yes, even at these prices 777 is still spendy, but it has a lot of advantages: cleaner burning, easier loading, and less cleaning while shooting, easier post-shooting clean-up, impressive velocity increase w/ equal volume charges (or more shots/lb, your choice), more consistent velocities, very accurate, doesn't stink up you or your house, safer to store than BP. I'm not meaning to poo-poo BP (it has worked fine for a lot of years and is very inexpensive), but 777 sure has a lot going for it in my book.

Jimmy Mac, 5 minutes for a thorough cleaning? I can't even clean my smokeless firearms that fast. Care to share your secrets?

Sub