The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2001, 06:20 PM   #1
Swamp Yankee

Picked up a box of Winchester Large Pistol Primers for .44 Special. Usually use Federal Large Pistol but they were out. Noticed the box says for Standard and Magnum Loads. HMMMMM. Sounds a bit odd but what do I know.
Questions
Anyone out there using WLP primers in .44 Special with PowerPistol or W231? How much different are they than the Federals?
How do these combination primers work with a healthy charge of H110 in .44 Mag?
Are they hotter than standard but lighter than a Magnum?
Any pressure or ignition considerations?
As always thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care
Old May 31, 2001, 06:56 PM   #2
Trigger Jerk

I would just use them and not be a bit concerned. Some may say there is substanial difference and fuss over one favorite or another. What it boils down to is you or I would be hard pressed to ever tell any difference.
Old May 31, 2001, 09:54 PM   #3
RJ McCormack

I use W.L.P. to ignite H110 for hunting loads in my 44 mag. I can achieve 1122 fps out of a 4" bbl before my accuracy degrades. I've noted no signs of excess pressure and it shoots relatively clean. I use a solid crimp as "bullet pull" has been noted as a significant degrading factor in most of my references on the 44 mag.

I tried to download to 44 spl velocity using W231 (for plinking and IDPA) and noted unacceptable levels of leading and incomplete ignition. Tried to solve the problem with CCI Magnum primers (just 'cause I had some) and noted no improvement. I think that case volume and burn velocity was probably the culprit in this scenario though, not the primers. Too little W231 in a magnum case risks flash-over/detonation.

Good luck with your experiments!
Old June 1, 2001, 02:29 AM   #4
JohnK

I only use WLP primers for everything from light 44 Specials and W231 (5.1gr under a 240gr LSWC) to hot 45 Colt loads and big charges of H110. In thousands of rounds I've only had one instance where the WLP didn't properly kick off a very large charge of H110 in 45 Colt, burned enough to get the bullet stuck in the barrel and that's about it. Since it only happened once it could easily have just been a fluke with that one primer.

I've never measured any difference in velocity between Federal and Winchester primers that is greater than could be accounted for by the outside temperature.

I would use the same loads you've been using with the Federal primers and not worry about it further.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old June 1, 2001, 09:14 AM   #5
Coolray

I use WLP primers for my .44spl and W231 and have great success. no problems to note good burning, no leading I shoot a 3" ss Taurus and I keep it under 1000fps I use winchester primers for all the pistols I load keeps my inventory down so I only stock 2 styles WSP and WLP if I', doing any .357 mags I'll get some .357mag primers

Good Luck.
Old June 1, 2001, 08:48 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Nothing wrong with WLP primers. Ditto what Trigger Jerk said.
Old June 2, 2001, 04:16 AM   #7
dick w. holliday

Ditto----Dick