The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old August 10, 2015, 07:37 AM   #1
TopherNJ

Any Mauser Folks on Here?

I have a barreled action that I picked up in a lot. I know NOTHING about mil-surp guns however I was told that it's a relatively "rare" action. From what I know it's a BYF-44. It has clear and distinct Swazi markings on the barrel and the action. It is strictly the action and barrel and it looks to be an 8mm bore. It was cut down to a "Tanker" length barrel sometime in its lifetime, well befor I knew of its existence.

Any further info would be appreciated.

C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mauser Marking 1.jpg (73.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Mauser marking 2.jpg (97.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Mauser Marking 3.jpg (84.5 KB, 44 views)
Old August 10, 2015, 08:59 AM   #2
eastbank

first, not rare and with the barrel cut(bubbaed) not much value and the cost to put it back to original issued condition would not be cheap. now to make it into a usable sporter, the barreled action could be used for a sporter by going to gun shows and trying to get parts cheap, you will need a complete 98 bolt( will need headspaced), ejector box with parts, bottom metal(trigger guard,floor plate,spring and follower), trigger and small spring, stock screws and stock, sights may be needed or drilled & tapped for a scope,with new safety. i have bought two german 98 mausers that were sporterized(bubbaed), but complete and usable to hunt as they are. both cost 150.00 apiece, one is a CE-43 mismatched and the other is a dot-44 matched and both have ex bores. eastbank.
Old August 10, 2015, 09:23 AM   #3
TopherNJ

Eastbank, thank you.

Given the info that you provided, I may actually take the barrel off and turn it into something else. I sold my hunting rifle, this may be my project hunter.

C
Old August 10, 2015, 05:21 PM   #4
emcon5

Is that all you have, the stripped action with chopped barrel? Quite a few parts you need to get that usable (complete bolt, ejector assembly, trigger/sear assembly, magazine assembly), not even mentioning the barrel and stock and sights.

If you just want a project/engineering exercise, go for it, but be aware you will most likely spend more building a Mauser based rifle than just buying a new Savage/Remington.
Old August 11, 2015, 08:43 AM   #5
olddav

Great oppertunity to learn new skills. I'm about finished with resurrecting a Swiss Vetterli M-78. I learned a lot and had fun. Good Luck, and don't forget to have fun!
Old August 11, 2015, 08:58 AM   #6
TopherNJ

Thanks gents.

I am 100% aware that I am not going to save a penny (much the opposite) "building" a Mauser. That said, I am a bit of a tinkerer so I'm gonna give her a go.

I have started another thread in the 'Smithy section. Mods, feel free to close this to reduce clutter.

C
Closed Thread