The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 24, 2015, 02:53 AM   #1
TheGunPunch

Smith & Wesson Governor

Who has one? Do you like it and would you recommend one? I'm interested for the versatility of the revolver. Does the barrel length affect the capability of .45 ACP? How does the trigger compare to other revolvers? I look forward to hearing your feedback

http://www.thegunpunch.com
Old May 26, 2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Axelwik

Overall a good gun. Very good fit and finish. The trigger on mine was excellent right out of the box. Accuracy with 45 Auto and 45 Colt is not bad for a snubby (this is a big giant snubby after all). Accuracy is better than the Taurus Judge. Shot patterns with 410 are better than the Judge.

One weak point on mine was the ejector star being a little fragile. One of the ends broke off, but S&W took care of it right away and it hasn't happened since.

Some don't like the gun because it's different, and it doesn't do things quite as good as guns designed for specific purposes. People forget that it really is a general purpose snubby, and you can't expect the same performance as for example, a 625 with a 4-in. barrel.

Overall it's a good car/truck gun, or something that could be carried in snake country, or for field protection against predators (although with grizzlies I'd go with at least a 44 mag). Kind of a general purpose tool, but a pretty decent one. It's not going to break any records, but you'll have a good quality general purpose tool at your side.

Mine I've carried in certain situations, and it's done a good job at killing rattlesnakes, and makes a good hotel or home nightstand gun. A little too big for concealed carry, but I've done it under a heavy jacket when I didn't have anything else.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:44 PM   #3
1911_Hardball

I like mine alot.
You can see how it patterns with various shot loads here: http://www.410handguns.com/sw275.html

The 6 ft & 10 ft in the grey boxes are links that let you view the actual targets.
Old May 26, 2015, 02:28 PM   #4
dakota1911

I have looked at them and still thinking. The Judge is not even in the picture. What I boony bang with down here is a Ruger Blawkhawk in 45LC. The first couple loads are shot shell, and I know a 45 shot shell not quite 410. The next four cylinders are loaded with Ruger/TC Contender only 45LC hand loads for two and four legged things and those would be a little hot for the Governor I think.
Old June 2, 2015, 03:07 PM   #5
haymaker

I like mine. I've used it to shoot woodpeckers hammering on my house with #4 410 shot. I've had .45 acp loads that would not feed in my autos and would not headspace properly in my Ruger Blackhawk convertible. With moonclips they work fine in the Governor.

As previously stated, it's a multipurpose tool, not perfect for any one thing but does a good job in all kinds of situations. When hiking in the brush I like loading it with standard pressure .45 colt loads.
Old June 2, 2015, 10:39 PM   #6
RJay

Having never owned one or fired one ( and probably never will ) I can't answer any questions on their reliability but the original posters question begs another question from yours truly, Can you fire ,45 ACP in a S&W governor, I thought it was 45 LC or 410 only?
Old June 2, 2015, 11:02 PM   #7
haymaker

The Smith and Wesson Governor can shoot 2.5" 410, .45 colt, .45acp (with moonclips), .45 Schofield, and I think also .45GAP. As far as I know the Taurus Judge can shoot 3" 410 and .45colt only.
Old June 3, 2015, 10:38 AM   #8
peggysue

Twice the price of a Taurus and still needs a clip for the 45ACP...
Old June 5, 2015, 03:44 PM   #9
Darker Loaf

"Twice the price of a Taurus and still needs a clip for the 45ACP..."

Well, that's because any cylinder that can fire .45 ACP without a moonclip would ONLY fire .45 ACP and nothing else. If you want to be able to shoot rimless .45 in a cylinder that's designed for longer brass, the only possible solution is a moonclip. So the complaining based on it "needing" a moonclip is baseless.

You COULD take a Taurus Judge and cut it for .45 ACP, it'd just cost you another $300 plus shipping or so and you'd still need moonclips. That and better materials is what you are playing for when you buy a Governor instead of a Judge.

That the Governor is cut for .45 ACP makes it a category above the Judge in my opinion. .45 LC is super expensive. .45 ACP still isn't cheap, but you can find it for far less and it is far more common than .45 LC. Heck, I don't own a .45 ACP gun because that's too expensive to feed, but if I were to consider getting a larger bore revolver, it'd had better be able to shoot .40 S&W or .45 ACP.
Old June 7, 2015, 12:13 AM   #10
Axelwik

I think a lot of people don't get the fact that 45 ACP in moon clips is the fastest way to reload a revolver. Certainly faster than speed loaders. There's a definite advantage to having moon clips.