The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1
reynolds357

Berger VLD hunting bullets

I have hunted with these bullets for several years with devedating results. I love them. Having said that, I was loading some up for my 264 Win mag and a thought crossed my mind. How will they perform if they hit shoulder bone? I have killed dozens of white tails with them, but I have never put one dead on shoulder bone. Will they stand up to a bone hit at high velocity?
Old January 13, 2013, 11:43 AM   #2
hooligan1

Hey reynolds, let us know how that works out for you. Usually bullets that hit shoulder bone, start their mushrooming effect early sometimes rendering the bullets ineffective. But that one still has penetrating qualities even after a bone hit.
Old January 13, 2013, 12:21 PM   #3
RyeDaddy

In my limited experience, yes. At 2840 FPS muzzle velocity I've put .264 130 grain hunting VLD's out of my 260 through:

A hogs spine(neck shot), shattered the spine with chunks of vaporized vertebrae on the ground behind him, and still entered his sister behind him's skull, killing her instantly as well with no exit. This shot was at about 65 yards. Not sure how much bullet was left after going clean theough the first one's vertebrae, but it was enough.

A doe's spine at 15 yards, blew right on through and what was left lodged in the tree behind her.

A buck's shoulder from 250 yards. Huge ghastly exit wound on the other side, but broke through the onside shoulder and broke through a rib on the other side exiting.
Old January 13, 2013, 04:49 PM   #4
reynolds357

Thanks Rye Daddy. Next season I will plant one on the shoulder.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:03 AM   #5
reloader28

The Best of the West hunting show is what put Berger bullets on the map and the high shoulder is where they shoot everything.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
hooligan1

I've shot a dozen or so deer with the "high shoulder" shot and some ran away some dropped in their tracks. Sometime ago I decided that there is just too much waste if I shot those shoulder blades, If I can I shoot for neck, I like that shot but generally I like to put my crosshairs right behind that knucle of their front leg and let'em have it.
I have only retrieved bullets from that "high shoulder" shgot , usually just under the off-side skin, as the rib-shot is always a pass-through.
Old January 14, 2013, 06:36 PM   #7
reynolds357

I try to hit about 2" below and 2" behind the shoulder blade. The only time I intentionally shoot something right on the bone is if it is in very heavy cover and I am hunting away from where I keep my tracking dog.