The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 10, 2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Distorted

Moving from TN to FL, carry permit question

I'm in the process of moving to Florida from Tennessee. I have a valid carry permit from TN and will be going through the process to get my FL permit as soon as I'm able to get my DL/ID switched over. My question is that since the TN Carry Permit is tied to my DL number, will it be valid for any length of time once I surrender my TN DL to the state of FL while I'm jumping through the hoops to get the FL permit? Also, will I be required to take the "qualification" course for the FL permit since I have already taking an identical course for the state of TN? I'm really hoping that I don't have to lose the "right" to carry during this process. Thanks in advance for the insight.
Old June 10, 2012, 06:12 PM   #2
oneounceload

FL CCW are NOT tied to your DL - separate area - you have 30 days to get your DL, and your CCW shouldn't take too much longer
Old June 10, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Also, will I be required to take the "qualification" course for the FL permit since I have already taking an identical course for the state of TN?
There isn't a qualification in Florida. They just want some proof of training, which is easily satisfied by any course you took in Tennessee.

I wonder if you couldn't just get the Florida non-resident permit ahead of time. Do any Floridians know if it would be honored once the OP became a regular resident of the state?
Old June 10, 2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Doyle

I don't advise getting the non-resident permit ahead of time. Shortly after getting it, he will be a resident and then he really should have a resident permit. I'd just wait. Since Fl recognizes TN's permit you should be good-to-go.

Do locate your training proof so that you'll be able to apply as soon as you get your residency established.
Old June 13, 2012, 03:51 AM   #5
MLeake

Tom Servo, when I had moved from FL to GA and asked the FL Dept of Agriculture (why Ag licenses concealed carry I have no idea, but then in GA it's handled by the probate court so go figure...) what I needed to do to change my resident permit to a non-resident permit, they told me I didn't need to do a thing, aside from update my address with FL. At the time (2008) the permit made no distinction as to resident or non-resident.

I don't know if the new ones are different, in that respect.
Old June 13, 2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Doyle

Quote:
Ag licenses concealed carry I have no idea,
It is because the Dept of Ag in FL is the agency that licenses pretty much everything except motor vehicles (i.e. occupational licenses, etc.). They were the only agency that had the infrastructure already in place when the CCW license became law.
Old June 13, 2012, 09:25 AM   #7
alland

Apply for a Florida license NOW. There is no difference in Florida between the resident and non-resident license. Your address is not even printed on the license. When you move here all you need to do is report your change of address, no new license needed. Reporting change of address is mainly for renewal notification mail.