The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 31, 2008, 04:58 PM   #1
cold dead hands

Location: Arkansuck...I dream of the day I leave here. Never to return.
Unissued military sidearms...

Can and/or do soldiers in the field carry ''un-approved'' sidearms when they feel the m9 is not good enough and/or they cannot properly operate the gun?

How do they get new ammo if the S.O. looks the other way because he is more concerned about his boy instead of the regulations?

I have been told that an individual soldier can carry a privately owned sidearm into duty, but they may not bring it back to the U.S.
Old August 31, 2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Creature

No, they cant as it is against regulations. For the average enlisted GI, it is strictly verboten to carry a personally purchased sidearm. Dont believe everything you hear.

Does it happen that something might get picked up in the field? Maybe.
Old August 31, 2008, 05:28 PM   #3
hoytinak

It's up to the unit itself but 99.99% of the time....no. I tried everything to talk my CSM and Col. into letting me carry my one of my personal sidearms.
Old August 31, 2008, 08:30 PM   #4
RolandMk.1

I think most enlisted ground-pounders and others who'd be issued sidearms, they're stuck with what they get. I think officers can get by with carrying personal pistols in some cases, depending on rank and where they're stationed.

Special forces are another matter; they can be a bit more choosy as far as sidearms go. I know Delta Force has M1911's custom-made for them; other units might have a selection of a certain caliber for operators to choose from.
Old September 1, 2008, 01:09 AM   #5
rkba_net

It is against US military regulations to carry ones own POW (Privately Owned Weapon). Also it is specifically against General Order Number 1 to carry one in Iraq / Afghanistan.
Old September 1, 2008, 01:41 AM   #6
Arabia

Quote:
Can and/or do soldiers in the field carry ''un-approved'' sidearms when they feel the m9 is not good enough and/or they cannot properly operate the gun?
It depends on the CO, but some units can carry non standard issued weapons if they see fit. For instance a Russian made SMG, or MG. All of these are battle field pick-ups, used in conjunction with standard issued weapons. This is not common practice, and rarely happens. Though most soldier in theater do familiarize themselves with enemy weapons for just in case moments. They can not carry their own personal weapons from home or bring a battle field pick-up home.
Old September 1, 2008, 01:51 AM   #7
Arabia

DP.