The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 17, 2014, 12:06 AM   #1
www_godzilla

Which Browning BAR ?

Good evening all. I will be buying a new semi automatic rifle soon. I've decided on the brand(Browning). I'm not sure which style I want. I'm 51 years old. I like to walk up and down the rugged hills of upper Maine. I will be using it for deer hunting. I'm concerned about the weight of the rifle over the course of the day. I love the Safari Mark II. Does anyone own the BAR's that have the aluminum chamber ? Does the aluminum chambers make that much of a difference ? I own a BLR .308 right now,but I've always wanted a semi automatic. I'm going to get either a .308 or a 30-06. Im in very good shape and I'm just looking to get feedback from others that hunt this way and may have one of these newer BAR's. Thank you
Old November 17, 2014, 11:35 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

I have the .30-06 version, you are going to like your BAR very much. The .308 is just as good, I am certain. Only real difference at Maine woods hunting ranges is the weight difference between the cartridges, which ain't much.

The rifle is not heavy enough to be a burden. Get a good sling. If you are going to be walking a ways into a hunting site, not hunting along the way, strap it to your backpack and keep it in a thick sock. Otherwise, port arms seems to be not an ordeal.
Old November 17, 2014, 06:47 PM   #3
Dr Killdeer

I bought my BAR in 1986 in 30.06 caliber and I've used it in the Adirondacks and the Catakill Mountains for many years. Yea, it's a little heavier than your garden variety hunting rifle, but it gives you the added benefit of a quick follow up shot when you need one....... or two or three.
A good sling is the best investment you'll ever make for the BAR. I use a military style sling. It's not fancy but it works very well.

I think you'll be very pleased with the BAR.
Old November 17, 2014, 06:59 PM   #4
giaquir

a few years ago I bought a Browning light stalker 20" brl in 308, topped
off with an ultra light Luepold .Light as a feather and quite accurate.
I think the scope was 2x-7x but not sure.Anyway historically as soon
as I find and purchase a great rifle,I trade it in.
Old November 18, 2014, 05:29 AM   #5
www_godzilla

I went to Brownings website. Their shortrac stalker in the .308 is listed at 22 inch barrel. I'd love a 20 inch barrel on a BAR but can't find it anywhere on their website.
Old November 23, 2014, 07:35 PM   #6
www_godzilla

Thank you everyone. I went with a Browning BAR Safari Mark II 30-06
Old November 24, 2014, 11:16 PM   #7
the blur

My BAR strings shots. Most often vertical stringing.